The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 28, 2001, 07:33 PM   #1
LASur5r

Bedside tools

Besides your handgun and maybe a long gun, flashlight, and cell phone next to your bed do you keep other "tools" besides your bed to help you out in an emergency?

Keep the mind out of the gutter, please...we know that some of you have handcuffs and other tools, but which ones do you have that are emergency tools? for the protection of your safety.
Old November 28, 2001, 09:57 PM   #2
nbk2000

A small fire extinguisher for cars. Not to put out fires, though it will do that too, but rather to blast any intruders in the face.

I saw a 300 pound man fighting with 5 security guards at a car race and he was holding his own till one of them sprayed him in the face with one. He dropped like a rock, gasping and puking. Better than pepper spray!

$10, stops BGs cold, and can even put out a fire! Can't get better value for the money than that.

I also have my Super-Duper Bad Guy Eradicator 3000 flashlight, as mentioned in previous posts.

And a disposable flash camera. Bad guys hate it when they get their pictures taken. Also useful in case the police should happen to "lose" any pictures of evidence that might exonerate you if things turned ugly and you had to kill someone. Doesn't hurt to have you own crime scene photos showing the knife in his hand.

No gun though.

I'd also like to mention that the "other" bedside tools are very important for YOUR safety. After all, if she's not happy afterwards , you might not be very safe that night.
Old November 29, 2001, 08:08 AM   #3
Mike in VA

.45, Surefire, Cell phone. BG might be smart enough to cut phone line begore entering
Old November 29, 2001, 10:02 AM   #4
dctag

Para Ordnance P14 4 mags. Glock 17 4 mags. AR-15 6 mags. Mosseberg 590 w/sidesaddle. Combat Smatchet knife. Surefire Z-2. Cell Phone. Pepper Spray. Baseball bat. Sledge hammer, and a bunch of other guns, bladed weapons, and stuff. I am single and live in an apartment and while all my guns are in a safe it is in my room and if I am home it is open because I dont run the risk of having little kids get into my guns.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:46 AM   #5
PUMC_TomG

Hmm... Well, two flashlights, and a spotlight on the corner of the bedpost. Landline and cellular phone. S&W4013TSW and an spare magazine with loose shells ready for a third. Two escrima sticks by the door. And assorted fighting knives from Emerson, Benchmade, and CRKT.

And soon: SureFire M2 Combatlight, Mossberg 590A1, and MN44

The best defended house on campus!
Old November 29, 2001, 11:22 AM   #6
ERRainman

My side of the bed:

Rem 870 w/ 7-shot ext., HK USP .45 Compact w/ 2 extra mags, Surefire 6Z, 1 big Great Dane.

Her side of the bed:

Mossberg 590 w/ 8 shot ext., Beretta 92FS w/ standard cap mag & 5 extras (and 2 low-cap extras as well!), 1 nearly as big Great Dane.

Available at will - Rem 700 .30-06, Marlin .45-70, .30-30, Springfield Ultra Compact Hi-cap & single stack, .41 magnum revolver, 2 .357 revolvers and a smattering of shotguns in assorted gauges and styles ranging from semi-auto to single shot. There's a few more but none that are kept as handy.

Kid's room's:

Boys' - Irish Setter that is very protective

Girl's - Weimariner that is more protective

Never thought about the camera or the extinguisher, but I like those ideas for both the kid's rooms and ours.

ERRainman
Old November 29, 2001, 11:28 AM   #7
Joe Demko

3 "D" cell Maglite, knob-headed oak walking stick, Mineral Mountain kindjahl, HK USP40 are all near to the bed. To be accurate, the kindjahl is hanging on the wall and the HK is locked in a pistol safe.
Old November 29, 2001, 06:05 PM   #8
Tim Burke

Fire extinguisher, escape ladder.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:12 PM   #9
LBC

Good list. Hey, Mike in VA -- FYI, no one has to cut a phone line. Just take the phone off the hook downstairs or in some other room and you can't dial out. Cell phones with one-button dialing are a must.
Old November 29, 2001, 11:44 PM   #10
David Park

Sig P239, Himilayan Imports BAS khukuri, phone, cellphone, Surefire Z2, 3D Maglight, mini-binoculars, Holy Bible

The gear changes occasionally. I just got an 18.5" barrel for the Mossy 500, but I haven't tested it yet.
Old December 1, 2001, 12:22 PM   #11
pointshooter

A (light sleeping) cairn terrier, fire extinguisher and a 6D cell flashlight. The possibility of actually using the pepper spray, handgun or shotgun I keep in the bedroom are pretty remote. That little dog is the best warning system for fires, intruders, ... day or night.
Old December 1, 2001, 04:51 PM   #12
shucks

body armor, to include side panels, trauma plate

and groin protector. If there's time to go GET a shotgun ,there's probably also time enough to at LEAST throw on a vest, and I'd choose the vest and a GOOD pistol, and electronic earmuffs, over the shotgun, no muffs, and no armor, any day.
Old December 1, 2001, 06:28 PM   #13
mjn

kindjahl

Sorry, but what's a kindjahl?
Old December 1, 2001, 10:48 PM   #14
Coronach

A nasty blade.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 2, 2001, 02:35 AM   #15
LASur5r+P

Hawk?

Anybody keep a 'hawk handy? (That's tomahawk )
Old December 2, 2001, 12:36 PM   #16
Joe Demko

A kindjahl is the traditonal edged weapon of much of Eastern Europe. They range in size form belt-knife to sword length. Mine is about the size of a gladius and was made by Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works in the mid-90's. It differs from a traditional kindjahl in that the handle is cord-wrapped somewhat in the style of a Japanese sword. I trace my ancestry to that part of the world (on Dad's side) so I wanted an edged weapon representative of it . I wanted one of better quality than the Indian and Pakistani dreck sold by Atlanta Cutlery, so this is what I got. It is a wonderful cut-and thrust piece.
Old December 7, 2001, 10:17 AM   #17
Samurai

Cell phone, three mag lights, six mideval daggers hanging on the wall, chain mail vest hanging above that, three bokkens in the corner, kitana on a shelf in the room, bo and jo staffs leaning against the side of the shelf, and a bastard sword hanging from the bunk above us.

And if I can get outside my room, they're REALLY in trouble!

"If grass could scream, I would mow the lawn everyday!"
Old December 7, 2001, 10:45 AM   #18
Dead Logic

I have a bokken.

What's a bokken? A wooden Sword.

Don't laugh. That's all I need. One hit will kill a man.
Old December 7, 2001, 01:12 PM   #19
mike killian

bedside manners

4 cell mag lite, sawed off 12 ga. and three 85 lb. greyhounds.

oh yeah and an escape ladder

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old December 14, 2001, 01:52 AM   #20
striderteen

Hmm..fire extinguisher sounds nice for a college boy who can't keep a gun (against rules) or a pet (against rules).
Old December 14, 2001, 06:37 PM   #21
BogBabe

Posted by mike killian
three 85 lb. greyhounds

Are yours actually useful for anything in that regard? Mine is completely worthless for either protection or alerting. (Of course, I didn't get him for that purpose, so it's ok.) He sleeps 95% of the time, he never barks, and when strangers enter the house he barely even notices. And he's a wimp! If he does notice a stranger in the house he runs away.
are free because we cannot be
otherwise, ever, no matter what. We
are free because we cannot be
chained by anyone without our
consent." --Greg Swann, Let 'em eat steak
Old December 18, 2001, 07:03 AM   #22
mike killian

greyhound watchdogs

Bogbabe

Yes all 3 of mine jump to their feet and run to the door barking. I'm not sure if they would attack an intruder or not but they sure would get someones attention. I know they can do damage because I've seem them attack small animals (squirrels, possums, cats, rabbits etc. and tear them apart... being as fast as they are not much gets away.

I think that one of them lived with a dog that barked and tought the greyhound. That greyhound has tought my other two now.

Like you say I didn't get them to be watchdogs but it turned out to be an extra benefit. They are the greatest!

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old December 18, 2001, 07:13 AM   #23
SamH

Not allowed to keep guns beside the bed (Australian law).

Instead...

Flashlight
Cell phone
and 11 years of martial arts

oh yeah, and a feisty jack russel terrier