The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Famas

Facebook, censorship and the 2nd Amendment

I have noticed on various forums, an increasing amount of talk by members describing how Facebook suspended or deleted accounts of users who took a pro-2nd Ad view and/or frequently posted pro-RKBA messages.

Is this true? Has anyone else been the victim of such censorship on FB?
Old February 8, 2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm on FB daily, and my wall is covered in 2A stuff. I also see the NRA, SAF, Gun Owners, and a whole slew of other gun-related stuff in my feed. I share or repost gun-related stuff on an almost-daily basis. If they're shutting stuff down, I don't know what it is, or why.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've also posted some extremely pro Second Amendment materials on my FB page.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Closing The Gap

I have been posting a TON of pro material and at one point received one of those auto responses. It said my ability to post has been suspended for 24-48 hours due to excessive posting. I had posted no more than any other day in the past month and a half. I assume someone on my list didn't like what I was posting and flagged me. However the next day I went right back to it. No further issue to report so far.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
TJMehaf

I have not seen any issues and I post things daily on my page.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Based on the amount of Pro-2A stuff I see posted, NO, not true.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Woody55

My activity feed is flooded by pro 2A stuff published by "friends". So, I haven't seen any evidence of censorship. I've actually unfriended some of these people because I'm tired of it.

Thank you for having the good sense to do a little research before just spreading the rumor. Unjustified paranoia is not conducive to problem solving.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:49 AM   #8
wogpotter

I've never had a problem with the actual site doing anything & I'm loudly, firmly, but always politely pro gun, pro 2nd amendment.
Individuals with "feeds" rather than members posting however have deleted posts in that stream, & "blocked" or "Ignored" me.

If thats whats happening its not FB per se, but individuals with moderator-like privelages in specific areas.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 8, 2013, 11:06 AM   #9
wingman

I won't use face book because I believe it does more harm then good especially to our youth and I fail to understand why adults would post pictures on line of firearm or themselves to people who are not really friends.

FB/Goggle both very far left IMO.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

I don't think its inherently because of corporate censorship. I think it is because other people are flagging and complaining about your posts. After too many they technically have to respond.

It's the environment of FB in general. It's a lot easier to trying and anonymously censor the opposition.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 8, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
SycoPath

I haven't had a problem with FB since I rarely login to it. I have noticed that my ISP is sending most of my gun related email to the trash file no matter how many times I change the senders address from "trash" or "spam".
Old February 9, 2013, 12:33 AM   #12
jason_iowa

Some of the pages I frequent have banned me from commenting on their page. I just unfollow em. If they cant handle intelligent debate then the heck with them. They will simply fool themselves into believing the whole world is on their side until they get defeated.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:56 AM   #13
SHE3PDOG

I have the same problem as jason. If I try to put a little logical argument into any of the gun control groups on FB, I get banned pretty quickly. That being said, I do keep it civil. The members just insult me instead of trying to formulate a coherent basis for a political ideology. Given that experience, I have decided that the vast majority of them must simply be sheep following the national media.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 9, 2013, 02:57 AM   #14
nate45

I rarely mention gun rights, politics, etc on facebook. Like it or not the NRA is seen as a political organization who oppose President Obama and his cohorts by many. Several of my co-workers and customers are Obama supporters, so being too vociferous about the second amendment might offend them.

As far as I know though, most all of, if not all of my 150+ facebook friends are pro-second amendment and I actually know all of them quite well IRL, so I feel confident saying that. I try often to change the perception that the NRA is a partisan political organization, but I have to do it tactfully.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:19 AM   #15
SHE3PDOG

Most of my FB friends have similar views on the second amendment as well. Also, anyone that did a minimal amount of searching would see that the NRA, under their political standard, is a gun rights advocacy group. They have given "A" ratings to Democrats and "F" ratings to Republicans in times past, so while the individual leadership and membership may lean one way, the organization as a whole is relatively balanced. This, of course, is not to say that the NRA is purely a political organization, as many people seem to perceive it nowadays, because they do have other branches such as firearms education. I'm sure that I am preaching to the choir for the most part though.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms