The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Kardiotae

Value of a mint P7M8?

Hello guys,

Okay, looking at a P7M8. The gun is like new, immaculate condition with no wear and no milling on the slide. '94 production gun. Gun comes in box with matching serial number, manual, cleaning brush and tool along with the original unfilled warantee card, 2 mags and looks absolutely new. I am not sure if it has been fired but cannot find any indications that it has.

My question: What is something like this worth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old March 26, 2011, 08:15 AM   #2
BlueTrain

I've been thinking about one myself, ever since I noticed one last week in the gun shop. This one, however, was not immaculate and I don't know what it came with. I don't even know what version it was (I've handled one but not this one). It looked like a neat little gun, though. I think they wanted about $600, maybe more. The price is sometimes the last thing I look at. But in the back of your mind, you sometimes think that "this is the last chance I'll ever have to get one of these."

It depends a little on where you are. I seem to live in a high-rent district, so to speak, and prices are high around here in Northern Virginia.

I am never logical about these things, I will admit. With some exceptions, most new (and used) guns I look at are not much different from what I already have, in most ways. One exception is that I don't have anything with a high capacity magazine and those are what I've been thinking about. As far as the P7 goes, I already have a P5, so the P7 is only different in the novel action and only slightly so in dimension. Then there's this USP I'm looking at....
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:26 AM   #3
twhidd

If it's a P7M8, then all the ones I've seen recently have been around $1000. The P7 PSPs with the heal clip mag release, have come down some in price recently from what I have seen. I seen them anywhere from $500 to $800. I have a PSP that I paid too much for two years ago. I love it though and will never get rid of it.

The mags are also very expensive; $60 to $80, I haven't brought myself to buy another one for mine yet.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:37 AM   #4
PSP

The last P7M8s that HK produced sold for around $1500. These were new, 2007 or '08 production. A mint '94 would go for about $1100-$1200, IMHO, provided it had all the paperwork and accessories and was unfired. Otherwise it is worth a little less.

As comparison, my '95 P7 PSP cost $550 a few years ago, (just before the Saxony guns hit the market and made the P7 affordable again). People pay $800 for a "minty" PSP. $1100 sounds reasonable for a "minty" M8, but it's a tougher market with all the PSPs around at lower prices.

Last edited by PSP; March 26, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Kardiotae

Okay. Seems to vary quite a bit. A few people saying it is in the $900 range and others $1200 on another forum a guy said the blue book was $1500, theres one on GB in similar condition with over a day left that is at $1350ish. So I guess it really depends on what someone is willing to pay for one. If anyone has any ideas on what a reasonable price is down here in Texas that would help too. Thanks.
Old March 26, 2011, 12:35 PM   #6
PSP

The markings matter to some HK collectors. I'd be surprised to see the seller of that Sterling, VA, 2001 M8 actually get his price, (reserve not met yet at $1325), and another listed at $2275. I wish them luck though.
Old March 26, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Kardiotae

PSP

Kind of the problem. With such a big gap in what others say its worth and what GB has listed (though I know things are often over priced on there) it is difficult to get a good idea of fair market value. Being that these things are also out of porduction makes it harder as well. Thanks PSP

I appreciate the help guys. Anyone else with imput please feel free to chime in here and let me know what you think.

Thanks guys
Old March 28, 2011, 09:04 AM   #8
rigby06

P7 psp vs p7m8

As indicated the P7 PSP has the magazine release at the bottom of the magazine well, as in the European style, the P7M8 has the magazine release under the trigger, just like the Walther P99/22 and the H&K USP compact.

Prices can vary allot, I have two P7PSP, and the $500-800 price range is about correct for this type. I have seen over $1100 for the P7M8 at the local gun store. I have seen $1800 for the P7M13 at the same store.
Old March 28, 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Kardiotae

I know the P7 PSP's are set up different with the heel mag release and thats also why I favored the P7M8 as opposed to some of the other P7's around that were easier to find and less expensive. Also like the heat shield on the P7M8.

As to varying prices on the guns, seems to be the trend, doesnt seem to be a general consensus on the value. Location and buyer seem to be the real determining factors.

Thanks for the input Rigby06.
Old March 28, 2011, 02:04 PM   #10
twhidd

You'll find that the heat shield on the trigger guard of the P7M8 does very little to reduce the amount of heat you feel. They still get hot; that plastic piece will only buy about 15 more rounds before you really start to feel it.