The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 1, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1
doh_312

Colorado

Who knows a good place to legally shoot in Colorado, without going to a range? Trying to save money on range fees. I live near Denver, somewhere preferably close.
Old December 1, 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Redneckrepairs

LOL Colorado is a fair sized place , and you did not say " close " to where . With that in mind ill step up and say i got more acres you can shoot on than you can use unless your talking bigger than a .50 bmg ( in which case i will have to pick your " range " for you ) , and its " close " to somewhere in our fair state , however unlikely that it will be " close " to you LOL .
Old December 1, 2008, 05:14 PM   #3
TINCUP AL

Most anyplace in a national forest as long as you are shooting into a backstop and are safe. Good luck.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
doh_312

Good to know, thanks guys. Hey Redneckrepair, I'd love to check out your property and have a shooting get together. I don't have a 50 cal....yet.
Old December 17, 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Te Anau

Head into the hills in the Rampart range area and have fun!
Old January 19, 2009, 07:01 PM   #6
ClarkEMyers

Be very very careful in the Rampart range area.

On the one hand there is a formally designated no charge shooting area - somewhat trashed but may have enough brass on the ground to be worth gathering up - which is also a lovely place to throw clay birds over a scenic backdrop - but the birds drop downhill and aren't much recoverable - I've thrown clay birds over tall grass prairie where all the lost birds could be round and thrown again, can't do that at Rampart.

On the other hand there are extensive no shooting allowed areas in the same neighborhood and lots of off road 2, 3 and four wheelers around.

Shooting
With more and more people visiting the Rampart every year, and an increase in shooting vandalism and safety mishaps, a No Shooting Order has been issued for the Rampart Range.

Quote:
South Platte Ranger District
Rampart Range Shooting Closure

Recreational shooting has been an ongoing problem in the Rampart Range of the South Platte Ranger District. The area receives a tremendous amount of use with OHV and dispersed recreation at Devil's Head. A high volume of off-road vehicles, combined with frequent irresponsible shooting makes for a disaster waiting to happen.

Due to an increasing number of incidents involving vandalism and the personal safety of forest visitors, the Rampart Range and surrounding area has been closed to discharging firearms. Please view the map to see the area involved. If you have any questions or concerns regarding shooting in the District, please call our office at 303 275-5610.

Exceptions: Persons hunting with a valid Colorado hunting license; or persons operating a paint-ball gun.

PLEASE NOTE: The Sugar Creek and South Platte River corridor closures remain in effect. (.25 mile on either side of the South Platte River and Sugar Creek).