The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2005, 05:17 PM   #26
No Name XII

Fremmer, it was originally in the handloading and reloading forum, which was the wrong forum. And blob, my only beef is if you are the one that posted the threads in the links I gave. If you aren't then I have no problem.

Don't Get Wenzeled

Why? Because shooting stuff is fun.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:19 PM   #27
Fremmer

Weeell, I guess I'll have to admit that it might not belong in the handloading forum.........
Old November 15, 2005, 09:39 PM   #28
blob

Finished trigger adjustment

Well I decided to go ahead and adjust the trigger on my Rem 700. After reading the directions it was quite simple and wasn't near as hard as some I have worked on. First thing I did was check the stock trigger pull and it was a shade under 8 LBS.Then I read the directions several times through and highlited the areas showing adjustments of the screws. Then I made sure I had the proper screw driver which was in my set of Chapman gun screw drivers set. This is a must as the screws are small and are sealed with sealer. I took the stock off and removed the bolt. I cleaned all the sealer off and the screws were easy to move. I followed the directions and set the pull at 4 LBS. Then I tried all the safety guides and everything worked real well. Now all I have to do is to get some sealer tomorrow and seal the screws real good.
It was easy to follow and it came out safe and sound and I saved $30.00 for the gun smith to do the same thing I did. If anyone doesn't understand the directions you might not want to do it but anyone who has worked on rifles and is very responisble won't have any problem at all. All Remington did was adjust the spring tension and the over travel down until it was set at 8 LBS. I like a 3 1/2-4 lb pull and it came in fine. Could have went lower but left it at 4 lb.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:43 PM   #29
blob

wrong place

Yeah this was posted in the wrong place sorry about that.
Old November 16, 2005, 12:51 AM   #30
Wildalaska

And have you tested it for slam firing

WildwithamalletAlaska
Old November 16, 2005, 07:51 PM   #31
blob

tested well

yeah the trigger has been tested real good. I have redone triggers before and this one is about the easiest to set and still be safe. Same procedure the smith uses unless someone want's a real light (ounces) pull then he addes some things. But this is just simply adjusting for a lighter pull from 8 down to 4.
Old November 17, 2005, 09:23 PM   #32
cntryboy1289

You should be fine there

The problem comes in when folks try to adjust the trigger to where it has very little engagement on the sear and the pull weight is down below 3 lbs. You should be fine where you are at. I might add that although what you did is very, very easy, the trick comes in when you are trying to get the pull as low as it can go.

I use a Bold Optima trigger a good bit of the time and with it, the trigger can be adjusted down just like the model 700 is. It is simply a better trigger that won't jar off as easily as the model 700 trigger does because it has better parts in it like the ones I suggested to you. If you want to go lower with it, I would suggest looking into changing them out.
Old December 30, 2005, 05:10 PM   #33
USAPatriot

An old thread...but FWIW, Jewell in my Remmy is set at 4oz. It's a bench gun and no way would I actually walk around with a trigger set at 4oz, but for that 4oz it's as safe as it's going to get. The Jewell very nicely solves the problems and arguments. Sure, it costs more than a few pennies, but what's a human life worth? -Rod-

"I shoot because I can, because I love it, because I do it well."

LIVE Streaming LAPD Scanner. LAPD/LASO/EMS