The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 31, 2002, 10:48 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Kydex Holster for Kimber 3" bbl 1911

OK, my requirements are:

1. PADDLE holster (NOT IWB or BS), kydex, black color, open top, speed cut, comfortable, high quality.
2. Must have an adjustable "opposing tooth", or be built specifically for 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" belts - 1 1/2 or more belt-width-accomodating will be too big for my use.

Adjustable tension is not necessary.

I have already done a search on TFL on this subject and gathered a fair amount of info, but still need more help.

These companies are definitely IN as a possiblity, as I believe they can make the required holster.

1. Blade-Tech ($54.00 - adjustable tension, very good holster - I have one for another model gun).
2. ??

These companies out OUT, even though they make paddles, because it appears that their belt-size-accomodation system is "one size fits all", and anything that fits a 2" belt will not be secure enough for what I want (CCW) with my 1 1/4" belt width:

1. G-Code
2. DeSantis

Mad Dog is OUT b/c apparently they no longer make holsters.

These companies MAY be IN - can't tell for sure whether they have what I need:

1. Comp-Tac (emailed them - have a paddle?)
2. Ky-Tac (emailed them - have a paddle?)
3. SideArmor (emailed them - have a paddle?)
4. Uncle Mike's (they have a paddle for 5" 1911; sounds good as per other current thread by Stans, after dremel job, and good price, but without a pic or more info, I'm reluctant to order; also unsure of belt size adjustment)
5. Fobus (they have a paddle; good price; looks great - a very minimal holster - almost a yaqui type - but again, not sure if there's a belt size adjustment possibility - upside is I can visit my local gunstore to check this out).
6. Cen-Dex (can't tell if their "CL" model, which stands for "clip-on", is a paddle or what - no pic on the website - Anyone know?)

Any others? Any help is appreciated. I know that Blade-Techs are very good. Also hear that Kytac is quality stuff.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:59 AM   #2
Sastrugi

Mad Dog may be out of the holster biz but the
fellow who makes similar great Kydex can probably do
one for your 3".

Talk to Frank @:

www.cen-dex.com
Old April 1, 2002, 06:47 AM   #3
stans

Uncle Mike's allows for straight up draw, angle forward, or angle backward. It is open front and the belt size is adjustable. All adjustments are accomplished with a philips head screwdriver.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Futo Inu

Update

SideArmor does not make paddle holsters.

Uncle Mike's says they do not recommend any alterations, because of safety concerns, CYA, yada, yada.

However, the Uncle Mike's is still sounding pretty good. Stans, tell me, would you say that you COULD remove even more material from yours without jeopardizing any connection/structural integrity, for the short bbled 1911s? Any other insight as to what you would do if you were carrying the smaller gun - Uncle Mike's or a different one? Thanks.
Old April 1, 2002, 02:57 PM   #5
Parke1

Futo Inu,

I very recently purchased an Uncle Mike's kydex holster for my 1991A1. I tell ya, for $15 you can't beat that holster. It has all the options you want, and it could definitely very easily be cut down to your size with a dremel. The only thing I'm not sure about is just how small the belt tooth can be adjusted to fit. I know it gets down there pretty far, but I'm not sure if it goes smaller than one and a half inches.

Other than the belt issue, which I'm sure you can clarify by directly contacting Uncle Mikes, I whole-heartedly recomment this holster!

-Parke1
Old April 2, 2002, 06:54 AM   #6
stans

I think you could safely remove about 1 1/4 inches from the holster. Be sure to check the belt retention device before cutting. You wouldn't want to remove holster material that would be needed for securing the holster to your belt.
Old April 2, 2002, 10:00 AM   #7
Futo Inu

Stans, Parke1, & others

Also got the Uncle Mike's. Was also planning to use it as a temporary measure, but I too am quite impressed with it as a primary holster. Here it is after hacksaw/dremel job (I left both tension screws, so it's a smidge longer on the "backside").

P.S. The belt tooth has two screw holes (2 settings), and the smaller one is just about right. It's about 1 1/2". The other one is about 1 3/4". This holster probably wouldn't work well with a wide 2" belt (UNLESS you wore it outside the pants, under the belt on the wider setting - but not "through the pants" - still would be a bear to get on & off, unless the wide belt was pretty flexible).

Also, the holster was about $25, not $15. Hmmmmm....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000633.jpg (78.4 KB, 56 views)
Old April 2, 2002, 08:05 PM   #8
stans

Nice trim job!!! Mine differs in that I cut it for a Commander length slide, so I was able to maintain the original contours at the bottom of the holster.
Old April 3, 2002, 11:44 AM   #9
Fred

You can also try

Mike Benedict of www.talontactical.com. He might work with you to build a holster to your requirements.