The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2002, 06:16 PM   #1
tprT

Hogue SuperSpeed Holster

Does anyone have any experience with the Hogue SuperSpeed holster? Any thoughts on it's usefulness for duty/concealed carry/competition ( advertised as useful for all three in it's three modes - locked, semi-race and race)?
Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Old March 26, 2002, 06:17 AM   #2
ktmhk53

Greetings,
I bought one last week on sale new for $95.00. At this point I am glad I did not pay more. The selling point of this product is that "Rare Earth Magnets" hold your gun in place. Well, not quite. Seems that the good folks at Hogue know that these magnets don't work a sufficient percentage of the time that they include a seperate hood-type device to lock the gun in place, by putting pressure on the front sight. I needed to use the hood. As for concealed carry, forget it. Even with the optional mount that does not cant outward, this holster is no more concealable, and a lot LESS concealable, that any other IPSC style speed rig. Also, while the gun does lock in securely and release quickly (by way of pushing down on the release latch with your thumb when you begin to draw), my gun is not cabable of being locked down firmly enough not to wiggle. It is a small amount to be sure, but still annoying.
All of that said, for my purpose, just needing a holster to put my Springrield Armory TRP Operator in while at the range, it functions OK. I guess its' true virtue is its' adaptability to just about any style or type of gun. That's why I bought it, because of my TRP's extended dust cover.

14/88

ktmhk53
Old March 26, 2002, 08:44 AM   #3
tprT

Thank you very much for the help. It seems to be a great holster in the advertisement, shows how deceiving they can be huh? I hope that you still get some good use out of it anyway, thanks again.

Tom
Old March 26, 2002, 04:22 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The main thing that irked me was that for months they advertised it as suitable for IDPA. There is no way Ken Hackathorn would pass a magnetic rig as suitable for daily carry and thus for IDPA. They eventually dropped the claim.
Old March 26, 2002, 04:29 PM   #5
ktmhk53

Greetings again,
Unfortunately the only real use this holster is good for is a non-competition range rig. I have other IPSC type holsters that are MUCH faster...

14/88

ktmhk53
Old March 29, 2002, 03:22 PM   #6
crusader44

documentation

the holster is OK, but not great. it's what you'd expect from something that can fit almost everything. BTW, the instructions (as minimal as they are) specify that it is NOT guaranteed to fit ALL guns.

speaking of instructions, the adjustment/setup instructions are so poor that it took forever to get adjusted, and i'm still not sure that it's as good as it can be adjusted. i'd assume that something as adjustable as this is would have a VERY detailed instruction manual......the opposite is true. it just a big guess as to how to adjust the thing.

once it's seup, it's nice, but adjusting it to another gun starts you all over from scratch.

i bought mine used on EBAY, and i thought that the $65 i paid was too much, not because it was worn or in bad shape, but because it was so difficult to setup and not all that good when setup.

again, it's just OK, not great.