The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2002, 07:53 PM   #1
pvanosta

Cut-to-measure foam in case - look...

I got this $26.00 tool case from Lowes. It's a nice aluminum case with a foam bottom and a Compartmentalized tool flap behind the top foam layer inside the lid.
The foam in the bottom half was not very solid, so I went looking for a replacement.
I found
www.foamsweetfoam.com
They cut me two pieces the size of the case, one 1.75 inches think and one .75 inches thick.
I put the 1.75 inch piece down and then laid my guns out on the thinner piece. After outlining everything, I cut the pieces out with an electric carving knife.

The result is still a bit rough, but I have spare pieces of foam to work with and it's still a lot better than what it was. I now have a decent transport/presentation case for my little friends for a total cost of $40 or so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case4-2.jpg (81.2 KB, 179 views)
Old March 15, 2002, 08:27 PM   #2
NC-VT

Looks good. I really like the look. I wish I woulda seen this a month ago. I just paid 60 bucks for one, and would rather have one more innocent looking, like this.
Old March 16, 2002, 12:27 AM   #3
laynlow

That case looks great! Just for future ref., alot of Army / Navy Surplus stores sell foam too.
Old March 17, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
HKCowboy

the case comes with it's own foam. the bottom is the "pick and pluck" type that you can trace and cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0008.jpg (63.9 KB, 104 views)
Old March 17, 2002, 09:09 PM   #5
adk

An easy way to do it is to get the lid foam and bottom foam pieces cut for the case with thicknesses that will leave a closed space of about 1/2" to 3/4". This will squeeze your guns and will squeeze 1"-thick pieces of foam in with the guns.

Cut a bunch of shapes and sizes from the 1" foam that you just lay in the case to put walls between the guns, and between the guns and the walls of the case. Just loose pieces. You put your guns in and arrange the foam parts accordingly. Really fast and flexible. The lid foam squeeze holds them in place. One case works for any guns.

I use 1.6 lb. ELE. It's strong enough to hold heavy guns apart. Charcoal color. I cut it on a little Sears bandsaw. Easy and neat method. No glue. Or, you can glue the pieces in place too. Easier than trying to cut exact gun shapes. Be sure to check how the case is made. Some of them have shells that can pop out from the squeeze pressure. Most briefcases are like this. adk