The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2006, 04:47 PM   #1
fishcapt007

M1A Mag problem!

Hey new guy to the posting here. I have just taken possestion of a SA National Match M1A. I have two mags a 10 round and a 20 round. The 10 round mag will not come out of the mag well. You have to disengage the spring guide with a small screw driver to get it to come out. The 20 round mag will come out with much effort. Is this due to cheap mags or an issue with the gun. Help!!
Old January 2, 2006, 04:56 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Is the 20 round surplus or modern? I would try other 20 rounds (mil-spec) and if they're OK, then there's something wrong with the magazines you have. If they (the mil-spec) don't work, then there's something wrong with the gun.
Old January 2, 2006, 05:12 PM   #3
fishcapt007

The mags have no markings on either one. I suspect that they are cheap and I should get some USGI.
Old January 2, 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Is the rear locking lug a welded on chunk of metal or a punched out tab? If it is the tab they are probably USA mags and basically junk. I use my 2 of them only for cleaning to hold everything open. Otherwise they are worthless.
Old January 2, 2006, 07:30 PM   #5
30Cal

If it's a GI mag, I'd check 2 things. First, make sure the forward catch (the oprod spring guide) is in good condition. The so-called "NM" spring guides are chronically soft and need watching. The second is that the bedding is interfering. I'd coat a mag in candle soot, seat it and find out where the problem is. Fix it with a file.

Ty
Old January 2, 2006, 09:29 PM   #6
fishcapt007

Both of the mags have a "chunk of metal" welded on the back. The rifle has a grand total of two rounds through it. If the issue is the bedding or the stock were is it likely that it is hanging up? I will try blacking the mags and see where!
Old January 2, 2006, 09:30 PM   #7
fishcapt007

Also what am i looking for in a soft spring guide? Does that mean that it rest to far back and dosent allow the mag to release?