The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2005, 08:11 PM   #1
BIGJACK

ROSSI single shot rifles

ROSSI single shot rifles. I bought a single shot Rossi rifle(243) and it shot poorly, more than 4 inches at 100yds. It appeared, looking down ;the bore that the bore might be oval shaped. I have negated the potential scope problems, and when the gun is closed up it closes up tightly. I have sent it back and they have assured me that they intend to "do whats right to satisfy customers."
My questions are. 1. has anyone had this problem with these guns before?
2. can I expect to ever be able to shoot 1moa with it?
Old November 26, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Toney

I have read only post like this on the rossi, grey breards has a lot of info on the single shot rifles
Old December 1, 2005, 01:53 PM   #3
plancha1

BIGJACK,
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I just bought one in .308 and I'm quite impressed (for the price). I'm getting about 2 MOA out of the box. I'd be surprised if Rossi won't take care of you, if you send it back.
Old December 2, 2005, 01:27 AM   #4
mtnboomer

BIGJACK,

Regretably, as in all mass-produced products, there will be one get through that is a "lemon". That is not a reflection of all the manufacturers products, it's just a fact of life. Hopefully, Rossi will fix the problem and return your rifle better than ever as this type of information exchange will kill a product and/or company. And that is what the company will want to avoid.

As for 1 MOA, well, that's kind of overrated. Many $500.00 rifles won't shoot 1 MOA. You must remember that the vital area of a "typical" Whitetailed Deer is an 8-inch circle - about the size of a paper plate. Accuracy is also more the shooter than the gun, so practice, practice and more practice is needed to accomplish small groups.

Plancha1's .308 shoots 2 MOA and that is probably as good as it will ever shoot (which is far more accurate than needed for hunting). That's probably as good as you should expect as well.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 3, 2005, 09:18 PM   #5
BIGJACK

I have sent the gun back and am looking forward to getting it back and seeing some improvement.
However, I have been shooting a long time and reloading for over 40 years so I know a little bit about the subject. I never measure a guns ability to shoot moa with me as a variable. It has been my experience with small bore 22 right on through the 30 cals that it is not unreasonable to expect a weapon to group in the 1 inch range at 100yds with the proper ammo and the shooter variable removed(bench rest), when you get up to the high 30's and 40 cals I don;t expect better than 3 inchs.
I have auto loaders that will consistently shoot 2 inches and a 45cal front loader that will shoot the 4 inch bull out of a target at 100 yds. When I shoot a 243 I expect it to be inside of 1 inch. when I pull that trigger on a deer, elk or even a squirrel I pick a "spot" not a side and I expect the bullet to hit mighty close to that spot.
There is no reason that the Rossi will not eventually shoot accurately, that I can come up with.
As forr expensive rifles, why pay the money if it will not perform? I had a squirrel hunting friend several years ago who had Kimber make him a left handed bolt action 22, cost about 1000bucks, I had a relatively cheep marling that would out shoot it (group better). However, after a couple of trips back to kimber and a new 600 buck barrel he had a real "tack driver." Simply hard to measure the group at 50 yds, just punched a hole in the paper.
With the rim fires more so than the center fires, the problem is usually with the ammo, you gotta get the right match. I have an old Remington 22 that will not keep rem and win ammo on a six inch target at 50 yds but will shoot about 1 inch with CCI mini mags.
Old December 3, 2005, 09:22 PM   #6
BIGJACK

Hey motnboomer, i went to school there at Norman when I was in the service. Damdist place I ever saw, could see 3 states everday, kansas blowing to texas and texas blowing back to kansas. Had a nephue graduated medical school there also.
Old December 4, 2005, 06:11 AM   #7
mtnboomer

BIGJACK,

We usually refer to it as - Texas blows and Kansas sucks!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 4, 2005, 10:11 AM   #8
BIGJACK

I found it that way also.
Old December 30, 2005, 12:08 PM   #9
BIGJACK

Hey guys, I got the Rossi 243 back from Rossi and I have shot it a couple of times. It is obvious that they put on a new barrel and worked on the triger pull, a little. I shot, from the knee a -1moa with 100 gr btsp by PMC. tried a reload, a little faster and it shot about 5 inches high and 1 1/2 inch to the right, got to see what this is all about, suspicion that I need to slow the hand loads down about 200 fps. REal satisfied with the PMC though,
THANKS ROSSI.