The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 2005, 03:09 AM   #1
grizz007

Mauser smith required

bought a FN 98 chambered into the .30-338 in a standard long action receiver. feeding is a problem. first round lines up to bore and feeds just fine, upon extracton it catches the following round right at the belt-have to take the round out by hand. second round now is ready for chambering but bullet tip flips out of bore alignment towards right rail and when it does chamber I then extract it and it does well. third round which is now coming from the right side of the rail lines up concentric with the bore and no more problems. Definately a feeding problem, belts catch each other, second round obviously has a follower problem along with a rail problem. I strongly hesitate to do this and do not believe there is a mauser smith readily and reliably handy where I live---any recommendations?
Old December 26, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

30-338 Mauser.

Dear Shooter:
This rifle must have been re-barreled! Just off the top of my head the rails in the reciever could have been ground - opened up too far and that is why you're cathing the belts.
I would recommend: getting to a nationally known, good smith on this - I don't think you can do much with this yourself.
I'm very sorry, I could be wrong on this since I have but a brief description of the problem.
Harry b.
Old December 26, 2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Wildalaska

aGREE WITH HARRY SOUNDS LIKE OVERCUT RAILS

WildoopscapslockAlaska
Old December 27, 2005, 12:31 AM   #4
steve1589

It sounds like the wrong follower is installed.I have had good luck using a magnum Ruger follower. How the cartridges stack in the magazine box is very important to the feeding of them. The primers should line up. #1 should line up with #3 and #2 should line up with#4. Hopefully the feed rails are not the problem. You can get followers from Ruger or from Brownells gun parts section.
Old December 27, 2005, 12:55 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

something else to consider

Without seeing it, it's a little tough to say for sure, but it sounds like the rounds are stacking with only one side being to narrow. Some shoulders welded into the magazine may help you out as well. These would help keep the shoulders back toward the rear which may be just enough to keep the round being pulled rearward from catching on the belt.

You may just have one rail opened up correctly and just need to open the otherside a little more which would allow the rounds to stagger correctly.
Old December 27, 2005, 03:32 AM   #6
grizz007

It was brought to my attention about a Ruger magn. follower replacement and I will just do that. I picked up Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the Mauser actions and follower is identical to being the original. This is the original barrel as seen with the J.C.Higgins stamp of approval and all along with some smaller stenciled in .30-338 on opposite side-like I said original barrel. If I do two bullets down and feed then no problem, problem begins when I stack down 3 and attempt to feed, has to be follower. Heard of a thin strip welded in front of belts to keep them in check. Sounds like there could be many variables and I would like to send this to some very keen eyed smith that has a fondness for Mausers and that can do the work very well indeed.
Old December 27, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

Ken at Bob Dunlaps

There is a guy named Ken at Bob Dunlap's shop that does a lot of smithing work on Mausers. He would be who I would decommend to you if you are close to Oregon.
Old December 28, 2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Harry Bonar

30-338

Your e-mail is answered.
Harry B.