Old December 23, 2005, 07:41 PM   #1
ammunition-man

rechambering a new england handi rifle from 30-06 to 300wichester ultra magnum

would this be safe to rechamber a new england handi rifle to 300winchester
ultra magnum
Old December 23, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Garand Guy

I dunno. The question I have is this:

You're telling me that you can have the rifle rechambered for less than the cost of a new NEF?
Old December 23, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure, but I suspect the rifle might take it longer than your shoulder will.

Jim
Old December 24, 2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

300 ultra-magnum

Dear Shooter:
Why on Earth would a person want an "ultra-magnum" in a NEF?
We are so over-powered in this country it's not funny! With the "good old" 30-06 you could slay any dinosaur that ever walked the earth - and in an NEF single shot - as the gentleman said, "your shoulder!"
I'm not trying to deride your idea but there is no reason for it.
The word "magnum" started with the British straight walled cases that needed a belt to headspace on; now, these abortions they call "short magnums" try to do the same thing as the (if there really are any) standard calibers!
I have real problems with the super-short cases with the bullet clear down in the powder space. Years ago when you said "300" it meant the 300 Savage! Now, while the Savage killed everything that walked (along with careful shots from a Win. 73 in 44-40) our new cartridges, in my opinion are just excuses for poor range estimation, and the feeling that it shoots "flatter."
No gun shoots "flat" for any distance, period!
Harry B.

P.S.
Shooter, get a CZ rifle in 375, or 416 Rigby or 458 Lott, then you've got a real magnum.
Old December 24, 2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Wildalaska

no

WildkaniAlaska
Old December 25, 2005, 12:20 AM   #6
mtnboomer

I doubt the NEF/H&R actions are strong enough for this conversion. It would overstress the locking mechinism and cause the action to open upon firing - not a good thing!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 25, 2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Harry Bonar

rechambering NE handi-rifle.

Dear Shooter:
NEF has certainly done some metallurgical change in that handi-gun. These used to be shotguns only - but I always wondered, since the "lock-up" is so much (in a way) the same (in a way) as British double rifles it just might be, with some different steel, and their testing that these guns would take it - but can our shopulders? I didn't mean to be harsh and pedantic to you at all.
It would be interesting to talk to NEF and ask what they had done?
I also wonder about the TC Encore (which I absolutely hate) how they get by with their anchoring system!
Maybe someone on the forum can answer those questions?
WILDALASKA, I don't know what you meant by "no" but I think you're saying no to the project - I agree.
I build muzzle-loaders (NOT the abortions the call muzzle-loaders that are "inlines" and come in a blister-pac)
I'm a Mauser man when it comes to rifles (bolt actions that is) and the VZ24 is my favorite.
Back to the handi-gun - if you're man enough to take that recoil I'd just better shut my mouth - you might come over here and eat me!
Harry B.
Old December 26, 2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Jason280

No can do with the Handi. There is a reason NEF doesn't offer any of the mags in the rifle line up, and its simply because the gun won't stand up to the amount of back thrust developed by these cartridges. It has no problem handling 50k+ pressure levels, but the increased case head diameter of the Ultra Mags, Short Mags, and standard mag cartridges simply produce too much back thrust to be handled by the Handi action. It would take a considerably larger Handi frame to take the magnum cartridges, and I doubt you'll see one in the Handi line up any time soon.
Old December 27, 2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Crosshair

No, No, No, DO NOT DO IT.

The NEF action is simply not strong enough to hold those pressures with such a large case head. IIRC someone tried to chamber a NEF for 300 Winchester Magnum. The rifle lasted 6 shots before the reciever failed. Doing what you are describing is like chambering a 30-40 Krag to .308. The gun was not made for those pressures.