The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 2005, 07:26 PM   #1
treetop1a

Remington 870 Express Rusting

I've got two Remington 870 12 ga. pumps. One is in the shiny-blue, that I've had for twelve years, which looks like new. The satin-blue Express is only a year old, and only used once, but is rusting no matter how much I clean or oil it. Every time I take it out of the case, the finish shows more rust, even after swapping cases. It has an extra slug barrel, which is rusting even faster. I've thought about selling this gun, but it's looking like I'll have to refinish it first. Is this a known problem with the satin finish?
Thank you
Old December 9, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
doubleD

remington 870 rust

treetop1a, Sorry I cannot offer a possible reason for your rusting, but can tell you of my experience. I have had an 870 12 ga purchased in the 70's in standard blue, which has not had any rust appear on it. I have had an 870 express in 20 ga with the matt blue finish for close to 10 years and I purchased it used. I have shot it many times, and have not had any rusting problems, even when I have had it in a case for a couple days, which I normally do not do. Hopefully the guru's can offer you a possible solution, as I really like the express version and the matt finish on my 870.
good luck
doubleD
Old December 9, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

rusting shotgun

Dear Shooter:
The most natural thing for steel to do is rust! I mean OXIDIZE.
There isn't anything in the steel analysis that can cause this. It has cause. It must be found.
Are you using sheepskin cases - that will do it.

Get a "RIG-RAG" sheepskin wipe with RIG in it and treat it.
Also, if you have alot of acid in your system (my grandson can stain stainless steel!!) as you put your gun away it can cause this; but, a question: does the bore of the gun rust also? If not you've got your answer!
Hope this helps Harry B.
Old December 9, 2005, 08:44 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The rough blue Express finish does have a reputation for rusting rather easily.

There are a number of methods of stopping it, but as above, NEVER store any gun in a gun case.
These are really TRANSPORT cases, and whether lined with sheep's wool or silicone treated liners, they are notorious for causing guns to rust.

To prevent further rust, you can do what many duck and goose hunters do, and apply a heavy coat of wax to the metal.
Many use ordinary Johnson's Paste Wood Floor Wax.

Simply apply a thick coat, warm up with a hair dryer until it melts and "soaks" into the metal, then lightly wipe off the excess.

Another very good method is to disassemble the gun and spray it dripping wet with a good rust proofing lube like CLP Breakfree.

Allow to soak for 10 minutes or so, wipe down and reassemble.

The CLP will dissolve any old lube and will impregnate the rough finish with one of the best rust proofing lubes made.

Every time you handle the gun, before putting it away, wipe the gun down with a little CLP on a clean patch.
The CLP will build up a layer of Teflon on the metal and will do an excellent job of preventing rust.
Old December 10, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
doubleD

rusting shotgun

treetop1a, another thought and actually a question to the group. If it is not you, as mentioned above, i.e., in your body system, could it be chemical contamination,left over bluing chemicals. I used to refinish furniture, and some of the stripping chemicals could not be washed off, but had to be neutralized and remained until they were neutralized. Could this be a similar chemical type action? I saw an old "kink" in Brownells gunsmith kinks 4, (pg 151), stopping after-rust with baking soda neutralizing solution. He used 2 tbls of baking soda to one qt of warm water. Rinsing the areas of rust, drying and then warming to about 150 F and then coating with a good gun oil or rust inhibiting grease.
again good luck
Old December 16, 2005, 02:03 PM   #6
Romulus

I have an Express, as does my niece. Same ugly over-blasted surface, but no rust issues. My opinion now, based on observing this phenomenon on these two shotguns, is that the orange-brown stuff is creep from the bluing process. Regular cleaning will eventually neutralize this, and after a while it disappears. One area in particular where this creep is evident is the inside of the mag tube. Take a new Express and swab the inside with Hoppe's, and you'll see TONS of orange-brown junk residue, but the metal will be shiny after the swab, with no evidence of actual corrosion.

BTW, my blued Police Magnum, when new, had all these pseudo-rust pseudo-problems, i.e. salt creep, just like and no less than the Expresses in my family's possession. Since the preponderance of PMs are parked, hence no bluing salt creep, you hear little or no talk about "rust" issues on these models.

Just my opo

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old December 16, 2005, 03:37 PM   #7
guntotin_fool

my suggestion is to take a good whiff of the gun case you store it in. I concure they are not storage cases but peple do that, my guess is that a good whiff will get you animal urine, either cat or dog and they peed on the case. Animal urine will cause rust faster than almost anything I have run into and cat urine will cause rust a long time even after it has dried. It seems to attract moisture and just make it nasty. just a thought...
Old December 23, 2005, 07:31 PM   #8
ammunition-man

gun rusting

are you storing it in some kind of case
you should spray it down real good with rem oil
Old December 24, 2005, 09:31 AM   #9
HSMITH

Go to the hardware store, get a can of Krylon flat black and two cans of non-chlor brake cleaner. Strip the wood off, degrease and paint the gun. Rust stops there, and if it gets dinged up a lifetime of touch-ups is still left in a $4 can of paint.

All the other solutions offered above work well short term, but in a hard use gun the paint is what finally stopped rust dead.
Old December 27, 2005, 08:49 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

better (but $)

Send it to www.apwcogan.com for a never-rust finish