The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2014, 03:48 PM   #51
CWKahrFan

EAA Witness for $290 + transfer:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-...y16rdmod999044
Old February 12, 2014, 05:09 PM   #52
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by h518may
I am wanting a 9mm and I was wanting some opinions on the best for the $. I am leaning toward a gen 3/4 glock19. I also want med/full size not compact/sub compact.
About a year and a half ago, I decided that I wanted a polymer 9mm. I guess I needed to see what all the fuss was about. Now, just so's you know, I can be a little compulsive when it comes to researching an item for a future purchase. So I started Spats searches for a 9, phase 1. (Mind you, I truly would not have been surprised to find myself starting threads on Phases 2 or 3, but I actually never had to.) My contenders were:
Ruger SR9/SR9c
Glock 19
Smith and Wesson Sigma (SW9VE)
Smith and Wesson M&P9c
Springfield Armory XD/XDM/ETC
CZ P-07 Duty

A few more models got thrown into the mix, and I detest buyer's remorse, so I took a look at them, too. Armed with a ton of information from my fellow TFL members, some of whom I just about pestered to death with PMs, I settled on a Glock 19 . . . . an act clearly contraindicated by my 25 or 30 years of not wanting to like Glocks of any kind, for any reason. After I'd had it for about 6 months, I wrote A Grudging Review of the Glock 19.

Other TFL members have pointed you towards some fine pistols, but there's nothing wrong with the G19 you mentioned in the OP. It's a solid, reliable choice. As much as I might hate to admit it, the G19 is a pretty good combination features and price.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:30 AM   #53
rodfac

Can't fault the Glocks...value, absolute reliability in the examples I've owned (G19 and G23), accuracy (both will shoot 1" gps from the 10 yd line in a Weaver Stance), and great customer support. Glock even has a shooting sports league of its own to compete in. While there, if my competitor friend's info is right, you can get a Glock factory armorer to fix, replace or restore any or all of your pistol's parts, gratis! That's unmatched in my experience. All of that nothwithstanding, Glocks can only be described as fugly...and the grip ergonomics are not a good design for many with small to medium hands.

Sig P226 Mk25: That said, the best 9mm I've ever owned is a new P226 Mk25 Sig that I've had for a year or so. At 25 yds, it'll hold groups at 1-1/4" with selected hand loads...and accuracy trumps all other considerations in my opinion. Sig's are expensive, but customer service is first rate in the two times I"ve used it over the years. That 226 has been 100% reliable in a thousand rounds through it now, and fits me so well that I've bought an exchange caliber top unit for it in .40 S&W. That too, was very expensive....Quality is Sig's hall mark, but you pay for it.

Colt Combat Commander or Ruger SR1911 CMD: I also like a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm that I've had for years...it's a switch caliber gun with top units in .38 Super, .45 ACP and .22 lr...a truly versatile hand gun. When son #2 was robbed of his Lt Wt Commander, I gave the old Colt to him as a replacement...I've replaced it in my safe with Ruger's excellent SR1911 CMD...an all SS commander that fortunately takes all of the top units previously used on the Colt. In 9mm it's a joy to shoot with little more felt recoil than a .22 lr in a smaller, lighter gun.

Berette 92 FS: My son's, both of them, trained in the military, prefer the Beretta 92 as it's a close approximation of their duty M9's. One of them has over 5000 rounds through his with virtually no malfunctions...the gun is as accurate today as the first day he had it. With its alloy frame, I'd not have believed it could go that long before wearing out.

Of the above, for carry, the Sig is my pick because of the lighter weight, though it's every bit as big as either of the Commanders, and nearly as big as the Beretta. Since you specified either a full size or compact, I assumed that you were more interested in range qualities (good weight to absorb recoil over long sessions, longer inter-sight distance for better sight alignment and hence accuracy, and bigger controls for ease of operation as well as LEO duty type applications. Given all of the above, I'd still opt for the Sig 226 for its accuracy....

Best Regards, Rod

Pic below is of the Sig P226 Mk25 with its 9mm slide/barrel in place. The load depicted is safe and accurate in my guns, but if interested, you should work up to it after consulting a good GOOD manual and considering pressure implications.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 16, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old February 16, 2014, 07:31 PM   #54
pat701

For the money, Sig SP 2022 in 9mm. IMHO best pistol, Sig P226 in 9mm
Old February 16, 2014, 08:10 PM   #55
Uncle Malice

Quote:
One of them has over 5000 rounds through his [...] With its alloy frame, I'd not have believed it could go that long before wearing out.
I am admittedly not a big Beretta fan, but 5k rounds is nothing for a gun like that. The 92FS should be a 50k round pistol easily. Probably more like 100k with perhaps a locking block replacement.
Old February 16, 2014, 10:29 PM   #56
DannyB1954

The walther p99, and ppq are also worth a look
Old February 17, 2014, 08:26 PM   #57
power5

pfft, special forces are a joke.

Bond uses a walther.

best 9mm for the money in my opinion is the 92fs. Unflappable. Mine has 7000 rounds through it of all kinds with only field cleaning on all original parts without a single hiccup. I realize its not the only gun of that reputation and I am not the only one that can make that kind of claim, but still, for 600 OTD I cant complain.