The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 1999, 12:52 PM   #1
Bushwhacker

I would like to get everyone's input as to what holster they think is best and for what purpose. CCw, duty, hunting. Brand name, style.TIA

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Old February 13, 1999, 03:02 PM   #2
Dave Williams

I consider the Kramer IWB #2 and Milt Sparks Summer Special to be the best holsters for concealed carry. Comfortable, holster stays open for reholster when pistol is removed. Key is carry on good double thickness gun belt that matches the belt loops on the holster in size. I would like to try the Executives Companion, as I've heard it is the most comfortable.
Old February 13, 1999, 04:15 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

I have wayyyy too many favorites to list, for various applications. I can offer the Galco Comabt Master High Ride Belt Holster as a good choice for carrying under a sportscoat and I have a soft spot for the DeSantis Shoulder holsters.

I have had good luck with the Blade-Tech Kydex Holsters and I really like thier IWB when I am not going to be driving/sitting a lot.
Old February 14, 1999, 12:15 AM   #4
Grayfox

For concealed carry, I'm fond of the Avenger style holsters. Milt Sparks 55BN is a good one. I'm currently carrying my commander in a Dillon LTD. Good holster at a reasonable price. IWB- Sparks summer special is hard to beat. For field use, with 4" barrels I like a high ride strong side holster. With 6" or longer, I prefer to go crossdraw. But, I absolutly insist that any field or hunting holster have a fully covered trigger guard.
Old February 14, 1999, 12:28 AM   #5
Mark THG

I'm very biased I think my holsters are among the best made along with some of the other top makers. I am priced a little lower. As for thetype for concealment, that's hard to tell. Depends on the gun, persons build, dress etc. I have a really nice IWB design called the YCS, it's almost flat on the back and has a reinforced top. It can also be worn on the belt like a pancake. Visit my web site at the link in my signiture and you can see my style's.
http://www.customholsters.com

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Mark THG (edited February 14, 1999).]
Old February 14, 1999, 09:36 AM   #6
STEVE M

My favorite is the Sparks EX, but I've been wanting to try Kramer's 1-1/2. IWB is the most useful to me so I don't have to wear a long jacket all the time. Body build and has a lot to do with comfort. I have a summer special from Sparks and really don't like it. On my frame it rides to high and there is no protective flap on the back side. Dave was apsalutly right about the belt, if it's cheep no holster will work well.
Old February 14, 1999, 09:42 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Steve-
What gun do you need the Kramer for?
Rich
Old February 14, 1999, 09:58 AM   #8
motorep

I don't think there's ever going to be such a thing as the best holster, I've got half a footlocker full of ones that I was convinced were the best...My everyday favorite is the Galco Concealable, I've got one for my Commander and one for my Springfield Ultra Compact. I've also got a Safariland 5181 for each. Let's not talk about IPSC holsters, that's a different footlocker..
Old February 14, 1999, 04:18 PM   #9
STEVE M

Rich, I normally carry a Sig 220, but have just purchased a Kimber 5". I'd try the Kramer (or any other IWB) for either one.
Old February 14, 1999, 05:15 PM   #10
Jim V

What is the best holster for CCW is not a question that can be answered by anyone of us with out knowing, your size (6'5", 150# or 6'5", 250#), your normal mode of dress (suit with jacket or jeans and a teeshirt) and how you spend your day (sitting at a desk or walking around.) The holster that would be the best for a big person in a suit at a desk would not be the best for the skinny gent that wears jeans and moves boxes around for a living. Now my favorite holster for concealed carry is my old Andy Anderson Shopkeepers model that I have been using for over 30 years. Or my Alessi belt slide model (I forget the name of it) that I've had a long time also.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old February 14, 1999, 09:31 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jim-
I'm with you.

Steve-
No luck. I was hoping you might say Glock Model Anything or even USP. Would have sent you one try out.
Rich
Old February 15, 1999, 01:49 AM   #12
SB

Yeah, Jim hit the nail on the head. Lifestyle and physique dictates method of carry, which determines the best style and then brand name.

Speaking strictly in terms of concealment however, IMHO, the ideal method of concealment is probably the IWB, provided that you can find one comfortable enough for your needs. Also, it's time to give Kydex and Concealex a serious try. To me, they perform better than leather in a smaller package, so long as one can stand the material.
Old February 15, 1999, 02:25 AM   #13
Jeff OTMG

I have 4 holsters from Mark THG and some from Lou Alessi. I can say without a doubt that if you have over a 30" waist and need an IWB holster, the YCS from Mark is the finest and most comfortable of its type. It should be, I designed it back in 1987 because there was nothing available that was comfortable for wearing 12-14 hrs a day.
Old February 15, 1999, 02:39 AM   #14
Jeff OTMG

I forgot to mention, go for custom leather. You get the stlye, size, material, cant, standoff, everything to your spec. I have a box of nylon and leather from makers like Bianchi, Galco, DeSantis, Hume, and the quality is not there when compared to a custom holster. Most are just molded, no boneing, the leather used is not as good, the stitching is not as good.
Old February 15, 1999, 02:14 PM   #15
Morgan

I'm tall and slim, and can easily hide a full size HK USP40 and two spare mags under a suitcoat or untucked shirt with a Jim Murnak made FIST pancake holster. Its beautiful - the workmanship is immaculate, and I would highly recommend Jim's products.
Old February 15, 1999, 09:26 PM   #16
STEVE M

Rich, I do have a Glock 23 around here somewhere. I'll try anyones holsters at least once. Any ammo you want me to try with it?
Seriously, all my belts are 1-1/2". How do we go about this?
Old February 19, 1999, 05:45 PM   #17
ATM

I am partial to Mitch Rosens ARG, it is very comfortable, secure, fast, and the quality is the best. Also use a Rosen 5JR, simply the best belt slide I have used.

------------------
Freedom is not Free
Old March 9, 1999, 12:45 AM   #18
Nakano

For concealment, it' s my Milt Sparks IWBs all the way. It' s comfortable with a full days work, the most concealable, convenient on/ off the belt if needed, and with the absence of thumb breaks it is very fast. The steel reinforced top band is a boon for tactical work. My favorite is the Heritage model.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Old March 9, 1999, 09:30 AM   #19
MarkW

I have to agree that custom made is the way to go.

My entire line of holsters are handcrafted everystep of the way from cutting to stitching to the hand buffed finished. A true custom crafted product.

I offer IWB, OpenTop and Thumbreak styles.

[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited March 09, 1999).]
Old March 14, 1999, 12:55 PM   #20
macondas

This is my first post here, just "found" the site. How about a concealable holster for a HK USP compact 45? Any one here know of a holster for this pistol? Galco just lists the 40 S&W and 9mm. I understand that the 45 pistol is slightly larger than it's siblings.
Old March 14, 1999, 02:49 PM   #21
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Steve-
Sorry, I missed your reply. Email me a snail address. I should have a couple of G-23 holsters in the sock drawer for you to play with.
Rich
Old March 14, 1999, 07:17 PM   #22
John/az2

Anyone here used the Action Direct Defender cocealment holster?
Old March 14, 1999, 08:41 PM   #23
ATM

Macondas -

Price Western catalogs one, and I think Bianchi and DeSantis do also. Each manufacturer also has a belt slide, Yaqui slide, style rig for the full size USP. The compact and full size are the same through the slide area, so a non- full length holster should work for either.

Do not forget some of your semi custom or custom makers: Sparks, Kramer, Murnak, Rosen, and MD Custom Holsters, just to name a few. I beieve all have a website you can check on I am sure there are others.

Oh yeah don't forget the Kydex makers out there: Blade Tech, Springbok, and Scott Evans shop. I can't remember the name of Scotts shopt offhand, but he is on this forum a lot since he moderates it!! Also Jim Murnak and MarkTHG of MD Custom Holsters post here with links.

Anyways hope this helps.

------------------
Freedom is not Free
Old March 15, 1999, 04:52 AM   #24
Ossi

Macondas - I have a 9mm USP Compact, and VM-2 from Milt Sparks is an excellent IWB holster for it. Actually I think Milt Sparks VersaMax2 is the best of all IWB hosters available today. I think they make this holster for .45 USP Compact also. You find them at www.miltsparks.com. Ossi
Old March 15, 1999, 10:38 AM   #25
BlkHawk73

For concealed carry of my Ruger SP101, I use a Mithch Rosen "Workman". For "casual" carry of my HK USP, I use a Mitch Rosen 5JR beltslde.I also used this same holster accompanied by Mitch's duel mag holder at Thunder Ranch. For a backup hunting holster...a Mitch Rosen "Sport" carris my Ruger SuperBlackhawk (4" bbl). At the academy training classes, I used a Safiriland for my HK USP. All of itch Rosen's gear is held by one of his belts.