The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Discern

I know of people with livestock that have tagged live wild game for kicks and as a joke. They are still waiting for hunters to give them some of the meat.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also, Don't rule out the fact that these collars have a limited battery life span... 700 to 16,000+ hours... Once dead, they can be sent in for new battery... But if the deer is never located they are out the collar...

Maybe they prefer to get the collar back, working or dead, through hunting than risk the entire loss by not allowing harvest of tagged/collared animals...

Brent
Old August 8, 2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Double Naught Spy

If the buck was still part of some study, the tags and collar should have had all sorts of information on them. If the collars were state collars (depending on state laws), there may be a legal obligation to report its recovery. For example, that is/was the case for state tracking collars for bears in Alaska.

Quote:
The people that tagged the deer probably expected that it might get shot. They'd be very happy to get their tags and transmitter back along with measurements of the deer.
Right! If a local or university study of some sort, there may be a $ reward for the return of the collar.

I don't know why people would not shoot a tagged animal if it is legal to do so. I would be more inclined to believe they were upset that all their good game was being taken out of play by biologists or "the state" by tagging it like that. They aren't taking the animals out of play by tagging them. In fact, the tags may be part of a mgmt plan tracking hunting pressure and other factors to see how the population is responding.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:46 AM   #29
mwal

Tagging studies are done in MN to track mortality growth etc. Hunting is part of the possible mortality rate. SO tagged collared animals are fair game. If they are protected then its not a true study.

Mwal
Old August 8, 2012, 02:04 PM   #30
22-rimfire

I watched that particular show. I believe they explained what the tags and collar was for. Did you see the map showing deer movement? Of course you can believe what you want to. Just my take....
Old August 8, 2012, 02:07 PM   #31
Strafer Gott

I'd definitely have it mounted. You can speculate where the tags might end up.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:45 PM   #32
MLeake

Seems like it was a perfectly legal deer to take.

At least it wasn't wearing a bandana around its neck like the deer my ex had bottle-raised as a fawn (its mother was killed).

Some idiot poacher shot it, bandana and all, on her family's private property, then was surprised when he was arrested and charged...
Old August 8, 2012, 08:47 PM   #33
warbirdlover

Quote:
I'd definitely have it mounted. You can speculate where the tags might end up.
''==

Mount it with the tags and collar on!! LOL!!!
Old August 8, 2012, 09:23 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That'd be funny to see but I bet the researchers be wanting that collar back. They're pricey. I can't remember exactly what the Cornell dude told me the price was but it was ridiculous. They also have an "uh oh" alarm on them. If the animal doesn't move for a certain time period the collar sends a signal.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:37 AM   #35
sc928porsche

If its got a collar on it, it means that it is being tracked. I will pass on it and let the tracking get recorded. Its going to be to my benefit further down the road. They dont collar them for kicks and giggles.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:12 AM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

sc98, You are assuming the collar still has battery life... Once weak, the receiver has to be very close to pick up the signal... So at a certain point in the study, the official researchers are no longer able to compile data...

So they are tracking a GAME animal... Part of the life and death of said animals is legal input by sportsmen...

The researchers can get their gear back and they have a box for that...

Died by legal harvest during deer season...

Brent
Old August 9, 2012, 09:50 AM   #37
sc928porsche

I don't care about battery life, and they are usually recovered before the battery dies. A lot of tracking is done by aircraft. Just a personal preference. I'm a bit of a strange bird anyway. For me, its mostly public land, no hunting from trees (yes, I know that you can do that here in Alabama) or in planted fields. I'm not into archery because I am a gun nut. And I like my sandwiches with Mayo on both sides.
Old August 11, 2012, 02:31 AM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
sc98, You are assuming the collar still has battery life... Once weak, the receiver has to be very close to pick up the signal... So at a certain point in the study, the official researchers are no longer able to compile data...
Took me a while to find it. Some are solar powered and so continue to operate virtually indefinitely, at least relative to the life of the game.

http://www.telemetrysolutions.com/tr...ailed-deer.php
Dropoff mechanism can be installed so that the collar drops off, ideally while still sending data and so can be recovered fairly readily, assuming the critter isn't crossing a swift stream when it drops off.
http://www.lotek.com/dropoff.htm
Old August 17, 2012, 09:47 PM   #39
wizrd

You don't have to worry about the collar, if the state wants it back, they will come & find you. A friend shot a radio collared deer here in upstate NY a year ago. Directions on collar said to turn it in to the DEC. Well he had some running around to do that morning before he got the deer home, then proceeded to the DEC office with the collar & tag. They asked him, "Want to know where you've been today?" Then they plotted a map for him of all the places he traveled after the kill. Route taken, places stopped, times, MPH, etc. -- If the deer had been taken somewhere's that was not opened or legal, they would have known it.
Old August 17, 2012, 10:58 PM   #40
farmerboy

I don't put much faith in those hunting shows even though I never seen a collared deer I guess they'd still eat the same.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:20 AM   #41
Discern

They may not be as lean and have more fat (not good - especially with venison). Little to no animal predators and set up feeding stations = less exercise = more fat.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:46 PM   #42
buck460XVR

Quote:
They may not be as lean and have more fat (not good - especially with venison). Little to no animal predators and set up feeding stations = less exercise = more fat.

You've lost me Discern. Are you talkin' about the collared deer or the fat guys on the Huntin' shows? Are you talkin' pen raised collared deer behind high fences or wild deer collared for biological study? If you're talkin' about the latter, please explain.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:26 PM   #43
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Catch the deer. Known location. Weigh it to assess health. Put on tracking gear, and track. If a hunter shoots the deer, the usual deal is to turn in the tags and radio. Probably with data about weight, # of points and location--and the F&W folks then have knowledge of the territory of that buck.

My flight instructor made many and many a flight tracking eagles, falcons and cougars. He never mentioned deer, although that would have been easy enough.

In Texas, the mortality rate of tagged/radioed cougars is rather high. Apparently about half and half from nature and from hunters' incidental take during deer season. Roughly.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:56 PM   #44
UtahGrouse

As someone who puts radio collars on game animals, I can assure you that the biologists will be very grateful to have a collar returned. And if it is a legal animal otherwise, it is still legal with a collar on. However, it is a disappointing when a study animal dies for ANY reason. It is a huge amount of work to capture animals alive, without hurting them. Losing the animal can mean the loss of valuable data that is used to better understand and manage populations.

So if you have the choice between a marked animal and an unmarked one I would encourage you to harvest the unmarked one. The type of data gathered from tagging animals is generally not harvest data.

They are generally two types of collars out there - VHF radio and GPS collars. VHF collars just emit a radio signal beep that we can find using a directional antenna, where GPS collars record their location. Some GPS collars upload to a satellite, some have to be recovered to record the data. The collars on big game typically have a batter life rated in years, so of the bigger ones can last close to ten years. Some of the relatively small collars you might find on something like a sage-grouse can last 3 years.

Edited to add: If you do harvest an animal with a collar, someone was and is still going to be out there looking for that animal. Returning the collar can save someone a huge amount of time and PITA looking for a animal that is not there - those VHF collars are not easy to find once the leave the general area they were once in. You don't really even have to return it - just call the Division of Wildlife - someone will be grateful.

Last edited by UtahGrouse; September 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM.