The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
MSD Mike

03A3 Shoots high

I need a little help from the experienced rifle reloaders out there. I have a beautiful 1903A3 that impacts about 5’’-6’’ higher than the point of aim at 100 yards with the original sights in the lowest setting. This is with several factory 170 Gr loadings. Due to the rifles originality I am unwilling to modify or change the sights to correct this. I would like to load ammo that will impact closer to point of aim if possible. Most of my loading experience is for handguns, when you load a faster light bullet the point of impact is lower than it is with heavier slower bullets due to dwell time in the barrel. Of course at the range I shoot handguns bullet drop due to weight and velocity is not much of a factor. My question is what direction do I load to get a lower point of impact with a rifle at 100 yards. Lighter and faster, heavier and slower, cast at low velocity???? My goal is not for hunting. The rifle will be used for casual plinking and paper punching, maybe the occasional Milsurp match our range has. Mainly just to enjoy the history of the old rifle. It groups well for open sights, just high.

Thanks
Mike
Old January 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Trail Boss loads would probably do it...
Old January 27, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

MSD Mike:

There are higher front sights available that you can install on you 1903A3. If you decide to install a new front sight you can keep the original to reinstall when you find it necessary.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old January 27, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
MSD Mike

I will see what I can find for a higher fron sight.
Thanks for the info,

Mike
Old January 27, 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
oakfloor

There were five differnt front sight blade sizes from what I know, went from A to E. Someone awhile back posted the info here IIRC. I dont know if there still avalible in all sizes. I bought several from Numrich, but I have been filing them down so im no help there. Shoot safe

Last edited by oakfloor; January 27, 2012 at 06:10 PM.