The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 31, 2002, 06:46 PM   #1
kmk678gc

Jensen & Son proof marks

Jack I just got off the phone with the guy that has the gun theres one that looks like a backwards 3 with a fancy L going though it, and a triangle with 12 C in it , a circle with a crown in it with the letters ELG . I'll see him some time early next week and i'll look at it myself he said there were others but they were to hard to discribe over the phone. thank the the info so far Bob
Old January 31, 2002, 10:29 PM   #2
JackM

Hi, kmk:
It's definitely Belgian from around 1900. The one I'm looking at has the crown on top of the circle and the E above the LG and a star below like so.
E
LG

Is the 12 C in a triangle or diamond? All these proof marks were changed every few years, and will help me date it.

I've seen them with a single underlug. That's the piece between the barrels that the barrels hinge on. Some had double underlugs and a Greener cross-bolt. The cross-bolt lug extends behind the barrel and has a hole in it that the cross-bolt locks into. The cross-bolt sticks out of the left side of the action when you open it. If you're an old doubles man you know this already.

Bye
Jack
Old February 10, 2002, 08:05 AM   #3
kmk678gc

proof marks

Jack I looked at the shotgun myself your right about circle with the E above the LG and a star under that ,and the diamond with the 12 over the C. Theres also a mark that looks like a golf club. one barrel has the # 184 the other 181, TST, and 40 61, And a #14 between the barrels, The forend has the # 7472 on it and on top of the barrels it has belgium laminated steel