The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
cbuck

project shotgun

I've been toying with the idea of getting a cheap ($50-75) single shot 410 or 12 gauge and cutting the stock to a pistol grip, adding a foregrip and trimming the barrel length. does anyone know if there would be any legal issues with doing this as long as the barrel stays longer than 18 inches and the overall length stays above 26inches?
Old January 8, 2011, 03:55 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You are fine at 18 (18.5 to compensate for stretched out leo tape measures) and 26.
Brent
Old January 11, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
oldcars

I did that in high school. I bought a $40 Stevens single shot 20 gauge and cut the barrel to 18.5" that was fun for a little while, then I cut the stock off into a pistol grip. I guess it was kind of neat, but not real fun to shoot. Have you ever fired a pistol grip 12 gauge? better hold on or the lever that opens the action will come back and draw blood from the web of your hand (Trust me, I know!) I think a super short double would be neat like the one in the movie "Gator" that Jerry Reed shoots but that's way under the legal limit and not really practical for anything besides hollywood. A .410 would be alot easier to use,but more expensive to shoot. I had a .410 contender and it was a hoot . My aunt gave me her old pistol grip .410 Mossberg pump and it's not bad at all. I never shot more than a box of shells through that 20 gauge after I cut the grip off and a couple years ago I traded it for a set of dies, and the new owner glued & pinned the rest of the stock back on (that I somehow hadn't lost/tossed/burned in 10 years) and mabe a useable truck gun out of it. My take on it:
sawed off barrel = fun
sawed off grip = pain.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
ncpatriot

When you saw off a barrel, do you need to ream the end with any special tool? Would a standard pipe reamer be OK? Or smooth down with a file?
Old January 12, 2011, 03:49 PM   #5
cbuck

i just got done with the gun last night, its an eastern arms company single shot 12 gauge, 26.75 inches overall, and a 19.5 inch barrel (couldn't go any lower without it going into the AOW category with the overall length). i know its not going to be the most fun to try and shoot more than a box of rounds through but it was a fun project and with the short length not a horrible HD shotgun since my other 2 shotguns are 4ft and 3 1/2ft long and not very maneuverable indoors.

also ive been thinking of cutting an old bike tube up to slide over the pistol grip to add some cushion to the grip and around the trigger guard and right before the brake lever where ive seen alot of people post about guns cutting into them when fired
Old January 13, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6
ncpatriot

The tubing sounds like a good idea, anything like that would help absorb recoil. Should help with a firm grip also.

Do you have the tools to make a full pistol grip instead of the semi pistol grip that stocks usually are? Seems that would help, as your angle is different. Even if you slip a little the recoil would be against a right angle grip instead of a roughly 45 degree grip.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
cbuck

i dont really have the tools to make another grip, plus it would shorten the shotgun to under 26 inches overall