The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 3, 2014, 10:04 PM   #26
Jim567

I never pursued them nor would I.

Jimmy's friends were in the garage with them so I had to go out.
They were running out when I got there armed.

I stayed in the house with the kids for 20 minutes.
When the cops never showed in that time I thought they were lost looking for my house.

That's when I went out in my driveway looking for them.
--- and the meth heads came back and threatened me.

And yea if you read the news - both our areas now have problems.

My little wee idealic home town of Vernon, CT had violent crime in the 60s when I was a kid.

It is everywhere.

Ugh
Old July 3, 2014, 10:59 PM   #27
dakota.potts

Oh, now I have a clearer understanding of what happened.

Anyways, police time can be abysmal. Just another reason to stay armed and ready. Everybody turned out fine in this case, so no reason to beat yourself up over anything that did or didn't happen. Just another learning experience for all of us.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:14 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
There seemed to be a strong element of you didn't believe that it could happen to you in your story.
One of my primary goals in trying to cultivate a useful mindset is trying to eradicate all traces of the "I can't believe it could happen/is happening to me." attitude that I see echoed on news interviews so frequently.

I figure that being able to short circuit the delay and other issues associated with that attitude will be a tremendous advantage in any violent or potentially violent encounter.

I don't try to walk around EXPECTING bad things to happen at any minute, but I DO try to constantly keep my mind open to the possibility that something bad might happen.
Old July 4, 2014, 12:26 AM   #29
psalm7

Yep you never say that don't happen around here . I am surounded by moutains and farm land and have had meth heads or drunks out looking for somthing to steal give me a problem before on a couple of occasions . One bunch loaded up a neibors lawn mower and I saw enough to call the police and a officer asked me why I didn't mark that truck with some bullet holes . I told him I would be in more trouble than the thieves . At the time he said there would be questions but we would help you with them . I don't think that would have went to well .
Old July 4, 2014, 06:31 AM   #30
Brit

My Son had that Dad will fix it attitude, till he moved into the USA from Canada, at age 26.

I live 1000m as the crow fly's from his house now. He is 54 YOA, and his new (4 years) Wife has given him 2 wee monsters! The most beautiful children, Girl 3, boy, 20 months.

Guess who gets to baby sit a lot? Christopher sits in his cot, when Baby sitting at my Sons House, going down for his afternoon two hour nap, and I sit in a rocking chair, reading. He goes in a zone! Watches me, after a while, flops down with his wee blue blanket, and goes to sleep.

You wonder what their little brain is mulling over?

My Wife of 21 years, is not his Mum, but goes by Grammy, me I am Poppa.

I just know that anyone tries to hurt one of these angels! The results would not be good for them.

Last edited by Brit; July 4, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old July 8, 2014, 02:10 AM   #31
stephen426

Don't feel bad. I might have reacted the same way if your son is used to goofing off. I'm pretty sure that you could tell in his tone of voice and he demeanor that he was serious though. It is a good thing that you had your guns handy.

I do not leave any guns readily accessible in the house since I have young children. I have a quick access gun safe in one closet and a shotgun high up in another closet.

I strongly suggest you invest in a camera system and an alarm since the meth heads know where you live. If you haven't taught your son to shoot and he is mature enough to handle it, make sure to teach him. Lord knows we have enough crazies in Florida!
Old July 8, 2014, 03:56 AM   #32
Brit

The whole of our mind set, that tends to think "That can not happen here" is proved so wrong when you read of these incident's.

I think we all have to reevaluate what we consider is safe, or not safe. As most here know, I spent 5 years in Liverpool UK, (A large sea port) 1960 to 1965, as a part time Bouncer, 7pm till 11pm, Thursday Fri. Sat. Needed the cash, young family, Wife was a stay at home Mum.

The skill set that develops, in this environment, tends to lend it's self to instant, aggressive action.
That has stayed with me, for all of my life (Now 78yoa)

But Florida to me, is a very laid back non violent place to live. I know, despite story's of this nature.

So you would think that complacently would set in? But it never has, heads up, be diligent is with me, always. My Wife of 21 years has benefitted by me, and my attitude (She calls me a Liverpool hooligan!) and sees things, that apparently, friends Wives do not see.

Now living in the Land of the Free, the Gunshine State, and carrying every day (and night) we all must realize that, if it has happened anywhere, it can happen here!
Old July 8, 2014, 08:15 PM   #33
Mainah

About 33 years ago when I was a teenager I came home late from a party. No one at home was awake and I sat down inside on a bench that was surrounded by bay windows that had an AC unit in one of them. I turned on the television, the late night creature feature show was on and showing a zombie movie.

It had been a fun party, and I was buzzed. So when I first noticed the glowing ember of a cigarette in the window next to me I assumed that it was mine... and then I realized that I wasn't smoking. And then I saw the window frame above the AC unit next to me moving.

Long story short I ended up grabbing a baseball bat, turning on the back porch light, and running out to confront a guy who was so wasted that despite my threats he kept coming at me. And here I was, a wasted teenager who had been watching a zombie movie when it all started.

So I ran inside, locked the door, and flew upstairs into my parent's bedroom. My father was dead asleep. He reacted first to the beer and whatnot on my breath. I had to pull him out of bed, and he was mad at me. But he called the cops.

They showed up ten or fifteen minutes later. I spent that time getting my butt handed to me. But when I took them to the AC unit from the yard they found the pry bar the guy was using, and the deep footprints that he left while leveraging his weight to open the window.

I love my dad. But I'm still mad that he reacted in anger towards me instead of listening to me.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:00 PM   #34
9ballbilly

I sincerely hope every day that " It never happens here."
However, the certain knowledge that it can is the reason I choose to be armed. IMO being unable to protect yourself, family, and friends from a potentially lethal encounter is utterly irresponsible and unacceptable.

Last edited by 9ballbilly; July 9, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 04:24 PM   #35
Brit

Well, in 10 minutes or so, I am off out for a big container of Noodles, from Pie Wii? $9.00, add some roasted peppers, meal for two!

Done this every couple of weeks for a couple of years! Never any problems, so I should leave my Glock 19 at home, yes? NO!! If SXXX is going to happen, it will wait till your EDC is sitting on the bedside table!

And you are walking out of a store, plastic bag in one hand, car key (plastic block!) in the other. Little bit of safety built in!

A young male, who seemed to be near an other vehicle, turned with a knife in his hand, "Give me the keys Pop!"
Old July 29, 2014, 07:10 PM   #36
RaySendero

Quote:
Jim567 wrote:

I have been wanting to tell this story for some time, its bizarre.

It was a Friday night. .....

The two with a public defender plead to " burglary of an UNOCCUPIED dwelling ".

The one with a private attorney got clean off. The prosecutor never contacted me!!!

I was plenty upset. No one ever told me they were going to kill my family before.

All I could do was visit the various law enforcement who lived in the neighborhood and ask them to be aware.

Jim,

I'm not trying to fear monger! BUT Just saying

Based on their actions and words -

I get a feeling that there's a good chance it NOT over!
Old July 29, 2014, 08:17 PM   #37
Jim567

No it's probably ok.
It's been more than two years now.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:20 PM   #38
RaySendero

Hope so - That 2 yr time frame is on your side.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:23 PM   #39
Jim567

Lol. RS I could strangle you
No sooner did I send the above post my dog goes ballistic at the front door!
It's good to have a dog again

Last edited by Jim567; July 29, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old July 30, 2014, 06:24 PM   #40
RaySendero

LOL - Look on the bright side - Made you feel alive!!!
Old July 30, 2014, 06:42 PM   #41
Jim567

Lol. Something like that
Old August 2, 2014, 06:35 PM   #42
iraiam

I really hate tweakers!

Glad you and yours are all OK. I really hope that the guys threat that he was going to kill you and your family made it into the police report.

I will say that my life has been threatened similarly, all I can say is; If I ever see this person again, I am going assume that he's here to make good on it, I take threats on my life very seriously. That in itself is not justification to use deadly force, but his mere presence will not be tolerated one bit.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 3, 2014, 08:44 AM   #43
Jim567

After a bit - my thought was this.
They were so cranked up on meth and whatever else --
They may have not remember saying it or why - they had no reason.
Still - If an adult says it -- it serious.
Very serious.
LE seemed to take it very lightly
No follow up at all after they took my written report.
I was very disappointed.
Never a contact until after the court appearance and sentencing.
That by mail and a month after the fact

Last edited by Jim567; August 3, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:31 AM   #44
kilimanjaro

They knew and meant what they said. If they happen to see you somewhere, or are in the area and recognize your house, drug-addled punks can decide to get even on a whim.
Old August 3, 2014, 01:16 PM   #45
Model12Win

^ Well did you read what he encountered and what they said to him??

I don't know about you but it sounds to me like that situation could have turned even worse, really fast. If I were the OP, I would have felt much better if I had stuffed that BHP in my waist before going outside, even if it would have just stayed there and not been used.

OP, thank you so much for sharing this story. I am sure you won't make the same mistake again and you are helping others out there who might end up in your same situation.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:57 PM   #46
mete

Are you aware of changes ? A nearby county has had a 500% increase in crime in two years !! Drugs for the most part !
Old August 4, 2014, 05:54 AM   #47
Jim567

With the rare crime of passion or rage outstanding --

It seems all other violent crime in North Florida is drug related.
The huge majority of it.

Most home invasions are druggies robbing drug dealers.
Most violent robberies are to procure drug money.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:41 AM   #48
Jim567

I don't know about you but it sounds to me like that situation could have turned even worse, really fast. If I were the OP, I would have felt much better if I had stuffed that BHP in my waist before going outside, even if it would have just stayed there and not been used.
-----------------
I flat out blame this forum for that.
With the never ending argument between the virtues of 9mm verses .45 -
I couldn't decide which one to take the BHP or 1911
Took none instead of both

Seriously I did take one into the garage. Can't remember which one lol.
But they had run away by then after hearing "dad get your gun".
When they threatened to kill me and my family 25 minutes later in the driveway -
I was unarmed as I was expecting only the way past due deputies.
I didn't have a CWP then and felt uncomfortable meeting them armed.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:19 PM   #49
BuckRub

First off. Glad it worked out for you.
Next is you say it won't ever happen again. Say something similar did happen or should probably be when it's happens again, how will you react the next time. What would you do different ?
Next is after the police took awhile - don't ever put yourself in that predicament again by #1 leaving the safety of your house and #2 being unarmed again. If the police were lost dispatch will call back and ask more details or have you turn on porch light or etc.... Stay inside your house armed until police knock.
And don't always think time with regards to pay someone back is always a good thing. Just saying. If something happened to you, family or house soon after yes everyone assumes meth heads retaliated and they're brung in for questioning but say 3 or 5 or more years go by and they something happens to same. Police or yourself or anybody else will say, them dang meth heads did exactly what they said they would do. All I'm saying is nothing is in stone about anything. Always be prepared and prepare your loved ones. And threats after a week or so from a meth head are probably just blowing smoke but again nothing is for certain.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #50
Jim567

Never said it couldn't happen again.
I will never assume that now.
A lot of lessons learned.
One shocker was it took 25 minutes for LE to get there after the 911 call.
I will never have faith in a 911 call again.
Or assume safety in a 'good neighborhood ".