The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2008, 05:52 PM   #1
mniesen89

Remington bulk projectiles.

I've thought about buying the bulk Remington bullets for my .308 to cut costs. I've heard here and there that I will be substituting accuracy when buying these because of the low quality. Anybody used these or can provid a review?
Old July 23, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
rrp

rem 308 bullets

I've used the rem bulk bullets for quite sometime for hunting and plinking. I know that I get better groups on paper with better bullets but for deer hunting here in Wisconsin when most shots are under 100 yards they work just fine. If I am shooting for score I will always use a better bullet but for most of my shooting the bulk bullets work fine.
Old July 23, 2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Darren007

Actually I used some Remington bulk bullets in 7mm for my 7x57mm loads, and ironicly they were more accurate with every load I tried than those bullets from Hornady, and Sierra.

I was shocked...considering I bought them just for plinking and wasnt expecting anything great out of them.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
rg1

With some lots of bulk bullets I've bought over the years you can gain a lot of accuracy by sorting the bullets by weight. Weigh all of them and separate the heaviest and the lightest and use them for plinking. The majority which weigh within a half grain or less will give more consistent accuracy. You never know until you weigh them all, as they might be very consistent.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
cnjaxx

Remington core locks,are ther best bullet for the money. I'm shooting 150 grain core locks, loaded with 60 grains of H-414 through an old woodsmaster. You can cover 3 carefully aimed shots with a quarter, at 100 yards. When you hit a deer with them, you won't have to worry about where it went. It is one of the most devistating bullets on the planet.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:52 PM   #6
45Marlin carbine

I've loaded Rem pistol bullets from bulk pack, they did great. and also 7.62X39 .310 did well.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Go Kiwi

If they shoot ok in your rifle then you are onto a winner - excellent hunting bullet & cheap as they come! Absolutely proven game killer with no bells or whistles required!
Old July 24, 2008, 05:50 AM   #8
crowbeaner

I've been shooting them for decades. They aren't as consistent as they were, but they're still plenty good enough for my shooting. My 742 will put 4 of them into 1 inch with regularity, and they kill anything I hit with them. I'm getting ready to load 500 of the 165s up with IMR 4064 and H380.