The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 02:59 PM   #51
loose_holster_dan

unfortunately, i haven't ever seen any lower than $600. nothing lower than the prices you mentioned lately. they are already priced really low for a quality 1911. that's probably why you can't find them cheaper. i only expect costs on them to rise.

that being said, i had mine out yesterday again. we had a couple of additional shooters with us (neighbors of a buddy). both were thrilled to death with the spartan v. when i handed it to the first guy, he did a double take and was very surprised to see the 9mm. he didn't realize there was another option than the EMP in 9mm. he loved the spartan. as he handed it back to me he said, "i WILL have one of these."

on a only slightly related note, thanks to those two shooters i have now had a chance to shoot both the ruger sr9c and the sprinfield xds. both impressed me. the ruger was extremely fast to acquire and reacquire a target after firing. very very accurate. i would dub it the bargain of the stingy gun buyer. at $400, you get much more than you pay for. the xds surprised me with its lack of recoil. i compared it side by side with my pps, and it is identical in size. even in 45, there was less felt recoil and definitely lower muzzle flip than my pps. i even had the medium mag in the pps and the flush fit mag in the xds. as i handed it back to him, i quoted the other guy and said, "i WILL have one of these."
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 31, 2012, 03:43 PM   #52
XtremeRevolution

So I've adjusted my thoughts on this. I am now more interested in the Spartan in 9mm than in .45. My biggest problem with the cz-75 is that I wanted the SP-01 and it is nowhere to be found.

Now, it's just a matter of finding a decent deal on one. If they are expected to go up in price, I may need to act more quickly.

Has anyone had any issues cycling any ammo, including hollow points, with their Spartan 9mm?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 31, 2012, 03:58 PM   #53
loose_holster_dan

i honestly haven't tried hollow points. i never really considered it for a self defense role.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 3, 2013, 02:12 AM   #54
jmstr

One thing to note about the STI Spartan [or the Armscor RIA Tactical] 1911s that I didn't see mentioned: the sights. The sight cut for the STI Spartan/RIA slide is Novak-like. It is the same angle and width, but is cut about 10mm deeper into the slide. For example a 185 front Novak sight, when fitted to an RIA or STI Spartan [ria] slide is now a 175 front sight height.

This makes it a bit more cumbersome to change sights out.

I have an RIA Tactical that has a smooth and crisp 4lb5oz trigger, with night sights. I am VERY happy with it. I have the STI Spartan slide on a 1961 DGFM Sistema Modelo 1927 and like it. Both have the same sight cut, from the same maker.

One concern I have about the earlier advice to add a 9mm top end to the existing .22 RIA 1911: feed ramp. From building my Caspian 1911 and other readings, the 9mm 1911s have a different feed ramp angle/profile compared to the .45acp. I don't know what the .22lr RIA 1911 frame has for a feedramp cut. If it is set up for the .22lr and for a .45acp, then a 9mm top end will probably have feeding problems.

CZ makes a nice pistol. I find the DA trigger pull too long for my stubby fingers. SA is fine. I have a CZ-knock-off [baby eagle] that has a slightly shorter DA trigger pull and am very happy, but it is also heavy.

Wherever you live you need to know the mag laws. In california, we are limited to 10 rounds [with exceptions]. This means the CZ loses a major point of its appeal over a 1911 in 9mm: capacity. The CZ would have 1 more round than the STI 1911 [IF we could get one: it isn't 'on the list' so we can't, but 1911s in 9mm are 9 rounds usually]. In a 'free state' there is an advantage to the CZ, with 16 rounds vs the 9mm 1911s 9 rounds.

By the way, my favorite 9mm is actually the Browning Hi Power, which you won't find in your price range unless used, and they have LONG resets on the SA trigger. They are an acquired taste, which I've acquired.

I'm interested in a 9mm 1911, but see no great rush for myself to get one. I too value variety. Despire half of my semi-auto collection being either 1911 or BHP platforms.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:39 AM   #55
XtremeRevolution

As an update, I put down a 50% deposit on a STI Spartan 9mm today from Dawson Precision. It will be ready to ship out in 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #56
Xfire68

STI makes some fine guns!

I have been dreaming of a STI Perfect 10 for a few years now and wish I would have just saved up for it!

I never sell guns I buy so I have to justify buying a new one to the better half and if I already have the same caliber she looks at me sideways!