The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2012, 10:38 PM   #26
Jerry45

I don't have time rightnow to read all the posts so forgive if this has already been asked and answered. The cartridiges are all of the same caliber correct? They all are primed with the same make and stile primer correct? They all have the same powder charge correct? Why not just weigh all you have loaded and pull the bullets out of the ones that are more than a couple grams light or heavy?
Old December 14, 2012, 10:54 PM   #27
newrugersafan

Hornady makes the 10mm in three different weights 155, 180 and 200 grains.
You should be able to weigh your completed rounds and determine if you have a different bullet weight. I dont think even with different brass you will see 20 to 25 grains difference in a completed round if the same bullet was used.

What powder did you use ? Check your manual and see if the charge you used is safe with the heaviest bullet....it may give you some peace of mind. If you look carefully at your loaded rounds you may be able see the base of the bullet and compare them to each other also.

Do bring this to the attention of Hornady, it may save someone else from going through this.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:49 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

The OP states the bad bullets he found were different caliber, weight, type, and construction. He just wants to know if the correct caliber ones are all the same. If they are all Hornady made, then yes, you could tell by weight. But fact bad ones he found had different construction suggests the possibility they're not Hornady. Very odd they should be in that box and makes me suspect and intentional prank. In that case there is no guarantee of being able to make a weight distinction.

One thing that is possible, though, is to look at the slight bulge in the case where the base of the bullet it. Assuming the COL's are all the same and all the bullets loaded have the same construction, then you'd expect those small bulge rings reflecting the bullet position under the brass surface to line up when you stand the cartridges up in a row on a flat surface. Look to see that the bullet noses all look the same.

Then you can weigh the finished cartridges. All cartridges with brass cases from the same lot, I would guess will be within two grains of the average weight of those same cartridges, but probably a little closer. If you see differences bigger than that, think of pulling the bullets from those. If you have different headstamps, take separate averages for them.

Next, weigh ten empty cases. Take the average value. Then take the difference between the highest and lowest weights and add that much to the average and then also subtract that much from the average, giving you a high and low number. Add another half a grain to the higher number and take another half a grain from the lower number, then add the average bullet, primer, and powder charge weights to each number. About 99% of all your cartridges should fall between the two resulting limits. If you get one outside,
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 15, 2012, 10:16 PM   #29
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
Is finding the wrong bullet in a new package a safety issue?
No. But not finding it could cause a problem.

I've found 255gr bullets in boxes of 200gr cast bullets for .45acp. No big deal as it's pretty easy to see the difference when picking them up one at a time. I can't imagine not noticing a different bullet when loading. Or a different piece of brass for that matter. The .222 really stood out after sizing in my .223 die and the 9mm bullet was obviously long when seated in a .380 case. Just watch what's going on and you'll stay out of trouble.