The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2006, 04:01 PM   #1
SMarley

Remington 870LW 20ga - need bluing help!

Hi all,

I just picked up a Remington Wingmaster 870LW for home protection as both I and my wife can comfortably use it. The metal parts are in excellent shape and the wood looks brand new. It came with a mag extension (6+1 rounds of 2 3/4" #3 Buck) and the (once "Full") barrel has been cut down to 18.5 inches.

All in all, a very handy HD shotgun!

Now the problem. The guy who cut the barrel down had a horrible hi-vis (orange) fiber optic sight installed on the front. It really looks nasty and on top of that, they messed up the bluing as well.

I know that most competent gunsmiths canremove this abomination and install a nice small bead instead. What I really want to know is if anyone knows of a good smith that can re-blue the barrel at the same time.

Do any of you have any experience with gunsmith rebluing? I see several sites on the Internet, but I thought I might ask the experts first.

Thanks,

Marley
Old February 19, 2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

These days, due to the equipment expense, and EPA regs, very few local gunsmiths actually do their own bluing.

Most send the jobs to outside suppliers that specialize in refinishing.
Due to their doing so much bluing, the specialty jobbers do a much higher quality of work.

I'd look at getting the gun re-blued by a bigger refinishing service, and the bead done elsewhere after the re-blue.
It's very likely that some re-finishers also will do the sight or you.