The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1
nobanforme

Mossberg Good Price?

I'm looking at a mossberg mod 500 with a 28" vent rib barrel and an 18 1/2" barrel combo for 219.95. is this a good deal. I have alot of guns but no shotguns and was thinking about getting one for myself. What do you all think?
Old December 16, 2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Ruger # 1

That's really a pretty decent price for a combo. Mossberg makes a good shotgun. I have had a 500 for a long time, and have had no problems with it, except for a cracked stock. They took care of that promptly. I'd say buy it if you like it.
Old December 17, 2004, 11:57 AM   #3
GunsnRovers

That's the weekly Big 5 Mossberg combo price and I think it's a great deal. Certainly gives you a lot of flexability for your cash.

If the gun fits and suits you, grab it and go.

The one gripe seems to be the plastic safety and trigger guard, but both are easily replaced with aftermarket pieces and this type of complaint seems to be common for just about every new shotgun and pistol on the market. It's certainly not something that would prevent me from buying and correcting on my own.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old December 17, 2004, 02:46 PM   #4
mikikanazawa

As Gunsnrovers says, some people dislike the plastic safety button. Personally, I haven't had a problem with mine. Midway USA sells a metal button, and installing it isn't hard but you have to mind the small parts (specifically the detent ball and spring, they're TINY).

Some 'smiths I've talked to said the plastic button was a move to prevent damage to the action if you whack it really hard. Plastic breaks while metal transmits full force to the trigger/hammer assembly. I have not had experience with severe trauma to a Mossy, so I can't tell you firsthand if it's true.
Old December 17, 2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Hollowpnt

At that price seems you can't go wrong. I've had no problems with Mossys I've used for birding but I think the safety bugged me as well, so when I did get a pump I went Remminton 870, but I had to buy my 18' bbl separate from the shotgun and much more $.
Old December 17, 2004, 05:33 PM   #6
nobanforme

Gunsnrovers, you are correct that is the Big Five special.
Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to pick one up tomorro. I just love getting more guns!!!!