The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
zaknefein

question about refinishing

I'll try and keep it simple.. I think the Beretta 84-85's are some of the best lookin guns out there and I want one.. I don't want to drop $5-600 on a perfect one though.. I've seen where you can get them pretty worn for $220-250.. at that price I could get one and over time restore it to its original beauty but I dont know anything about removing pits and refinishing firearms..

Is it costly to have this work done and does it hold up? I've searched about refinishing and from what I understand, refinishing can hurt the value of collectibles, but this would be a gun I would keep and not have to worry about selling it.. Are there other things to keep in mind when purchasing a well worn firearm besides springs?

Thanks

*edit - Oh and any info on the process on which they remove pits would be great!
Old September 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Quote:
at that price I could get one and over time restore it to its original beauty
At a price that would bring the cost up to that of one already in excellent condition. While severely depressing the value of the gun by refinishing it.
Buy one cheap, put a lot of money in it, end up with one the's value is still low.

Honest wear of a firearm that has not been abused is not a problem, or an eyesore in my opinion. Just a mark of character.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 5, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Pits are removed by abrading the metal surface to the lowest pint of the pitting.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Straightshooter629

By the time you spend the money to have a "worn" pistol refinished, you could have bought a new one. IMHO, the cost of refinishing is only warranted on a collector quality weapon and not one that is used/carried on a regular basis.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5
wayneinFL

What are you planning to use it for? If it's not for investment or to enhance your collection, why does it have to be pretty anyway? I have a Beretta 92D that was a little over $200 that makes a fine carry gun. It was beat to hell on some cop's duty rig- rusted, too- but what does it matter?
Old September 6, 2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Buzzcook

Don't buy a gun with a pitted barrel. Well unless you intend to replace the barrel.

If you limit surface repair to rust removal and polishing you won't be out too much. Add some home cold blue and you'll have an ok looking gun.

Polishing minor scratches and dings is a little more challenging and time consuming. The effect sometimes looks a little off if you're not careful.

Deep pitting and dents Don't look very good after they've been polished out.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Buy a new one, it is far cheaper in the long run and will hold its value better than a cheap gun that has been refinished.

If new is too rich, buy a solid used one and spend your money on ammo.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:26 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you live near a gunsmithing school, you can always ask an instructor if a student can reblue it for you. It should be cheaper too.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:28 AM   #9
zaknefein

Good call on lookin to see where the nearest gunsmithing school is.. New is too expensive and I know I might spend more in the long run.. but thats the way I can afford to get it.. over time.. I'm not in a hurry so I'll take my time to find a used one with minor flaws and no barrel pitting... The gun would be to add to MY collection, what I meant was I wasn't going to sell it as a collectible so I'm not worried about value as far as selling is concerned. Thanks for the insight!
Old September 6, 2012, 10:07 AM   #10
tango1niner

Removing pits is not a good thing if they are deep. Pits are removed by bringing the surrounding metal down to the level of and below the pits. In essence you are removing metal that may be in an area that sees pressure. In my opinion, not a good move.
If you polish, blue and do not remove the pits they will most likely turn a nice orangey red ( rust ) and not look very good. I have avoided the red pocks by bead blasting and bluing. When doing that you are cleaning out the pit and preparing the surface for blue. The finish will be matte and not shiny.
If you can live with that well good, if not save your pennies and buy a piece in better condition.
Just my $.02