The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 1999, 11:20 PM   #1
Nakano

I' ve been using a Wolff 18 lb recoil spring in a Taurus PT 99 for some years now. In an attempt to further reduce frame battering and muzzle rise I' ve purchased some shok buffs from Brownells. However, after installation the slide will not lock open manually. Is the compressed length of the Wolff springs greater than the factory 13 lb one. I no longer have the original to compare with. Can anyone help?

NOTE: Brownells catalog listed the item as for the Beretta 92 but said it would work on Taurus as well. Slight dimensional differences perhaps?

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Old June 21, 1999, 09:59 AM   #2
Mike Spight

Nakano: A few years back (when I was still shooting and carrying 1911s) I used Wilson's Shok Buffs exclusively, and they worked fine. I later tried some from a different manufactuer (they appeared thicker and were made of a denser polymer) and they continually caused malfunctions. Recommend you try some by someone else...you should be able to find some that will not affect the piece's reliability. Good Luck...
Mike
Old June 21, 1999, 07:22 PM   #3
Nakano

Thanks Mike. But I' ve done quite a bit of research and at present it appears as if the ones I have are the only ones available. Does anyone know of any different manufacturer/ source?

Also, I still suspect it might be the compressed length of the recoil spring. Perhaps they are a thicker gauge than the factory one. But again, I no longer have the factory original to compare. Anyone else care to comment?

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."