The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 04:24 PM   #26
Dragline45

I haven't been to the range in about a month and a half. The past two times I went to Walmart all they had was .32ACP and .38 special. The gun shops are sold out of all target ammo and only have the $1 per round self defense stuff. I have probably 1000 rounds of .22, 200 rounds of 9mm, 50 rounds of .38, and 50 rounds of .380 on hand which I don't plan on shooting unti'll I can find more to replace what I shoot.

I can understand certain guns and magazines being hard to find, but are people really that simple minded and selfish to go out and buy every lick of ammo they can find and stockpile it so when the average shooter goes out to pick up a couple boxes for the range they cant find any. No ammunition has been proposed to get banned, why the hell are people going crazy and buying it all up. Sorry for the rant, just really ticks me off. Especially the bat hell crazy preppers.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:31 PM   #27
osageid

Reload reload, it is not just to mass produce ammo but I enjoy reloading as much as shooting! I do love not going to store for ammo!
Old January 8, 2013, 05:40 PM   #28
YARDDOG(1)

"[Reload reload, it is not just to mass produce ammo but I enjoy reloading as much as shooting! I do love not going to store for ammo!]"

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^ The only way to go

Y/D
Old January 8, 2013, 05:58 PM   #29
HK_Flo

.40 is still available (at jacked up prices) so I am not to worried... for now.

I ordered 500 rounds (for $.34/round shipped) a week ago... we will see if they actually ship it.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #30
Justice06RR

The key is to shoot more of available and cheaper rounds, and save those which are more expensive and harder to find. So it will depend on your area and your own personal stock of ammo.

Personally I shoot more 22lr, 9mm, and 7.62x54R, and less 5.56/223 and 12ga.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:59 AM   #31
4thHorseman

Not only is hard to get but it is very expensibe too. So yes, I have been more reserved in shooting than the past.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old January 9, 2013, 01:56 AM   #32
aircorpnut

i have about 4-5K 5.56 with about half being m855 green tip that i'm saving for now & shooting a little of the other batches. in the last couple years, i shoot 50-100 rds thru each of the centrfire rifles i take, then spend the rest of the time plinking with the .22s. sadly, .22 is what i have the least of now, but the good thing is, 1000 rds wont cost hundreds to replace.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:33 AM   #33
patrickmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
The key is to shoot more of available and cheaper rounds, and save those which are more expensive and harder to find. So it will depend on your area and your own personal stock of ammo.

Personally I shoot more 22lr, 9mm, and 7.62x54R, and less 5.56/223 and 12ga.
I've not seen .22 LR or 9mm in a few weeks in west Tennessee. I've seen high-priced hollow point 9mm, .357 magnum, and .45 ACP, but that is far more expensive than the target-quality ammunition I normally shoot.

Right now, if I was to go shooting with any gun I own, I wouldn't be able to replace a single round from what I've seen in stores, unless I was shooting 12 gauge.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:34 AM   #34
mrbatchelor

BP revolvers.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:37 AM   #35
Ignition Override

No, only the Memphis weather, reduced daylight and time at work has reduced it.

About how long does it take for ammo to be shipped from Tula Russia via the Black Sea, Bosporus and Med. to the US?
Has their production increased as a result of the buying panic over here?

As strange as it might appear, my latest gun (in July) is the Romanian M-69 .22 Trainer, and it is almost as fun to shoot as the SKS and Enfield #4s.
Sort of like a handy, baby Mauser with much better sights than my Yugo Mauser, and a decent trigger.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 12, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:16 PM   #36
K1500

Quote:
LEARN to reload first.. the reload. You should never have this be an issue ever again. Its fun, almost as fun as shooting.

DASHZNT
I am not sure reloading is the answer. You have components to assemble how many rounds? Whatever your answer, if I have that many LOADED rounds, who is in a better position? I love reloading, but I have no illusions that it is any more immune to shortages (panic or legislative) than the guy who gets his ammo at the store. If they legislate against ammo, do you really think they won't extend that to primers and powder? All the readers around here are in a primer panic mode.

Last edited by K1500; January 10, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #37
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I stockpiled ammo years ago just because it was cheap. 223@12-15 cents per round, 7.62X39 @ .10, 7.62X54r surplus @ .08 and Turkish 8mm @ .06 a round. Brit .303 was the hardest to find and most costly @ .19 per round. And I've always reloaded my own handgun ammo except for 7.62X25, which was once both plentiful and cheap to buy. At the rate I've been shooting lately, my supply should outlast me.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:35 PM   #38
RockyMtnTactical

I'm shooting sparingly right now...
Old January 10, 2013, 09:10 PM   #39
reloader28

Whether its temporarely out of stock or gone for good, I dont shoot whatever I cant replace. If you cant find stuff for a particuler gun, dont shoot it.

If what I need comes back on the shelves, then I'll start shooting that gun again. I dont think its very smart to shoot up your ammo when it might not get replaced for 6,8 months, a year or longer. You might be low or out of ammo before you can replace it.

That being said, I could still shoot and reload for a long time if need be. I'm just not going to until components are back on the shelves.

Like someone said earlier, I like to reload as much or more as I do shooting it. Most of my stuff is already loaded and I dont want empty it yet.

I am able to shoot just enough to keep the nerves settled.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:09 PM   #40
SoCal326

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1500 View Post
I am not sure reloading is the answer.
Ya, but it does give you more options.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:11 AM   #41
Strafer Gott

Pyrodex is still around along with percussion caps. I have .44 and .45 Colt I could load up with pyrodex and grease wads. Right now large pistol primers are on my shopping list. I like burning powder, so hanging on to my reloads really won't impact range trips.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #42
L_Killkenny

I don't think that anyone, no matter how well stocked, doesn't have the question "is it enough?" runnin thru their minds. It's somewhat natural.

I'm better off than I was last time. I have more primers and bullets and powder and .22lr. In reality I have enough to last me months if I shoot as much as I'd like, who knows how long it will last if weather, kids, work, etc keeps my shooting in check (which is always likely). But I do still have that "what if?" crap runnin thru my head. Luckily, I'm not a competition shooter nor do I run drills or plink quantities of ammo at a time. 100 rounds total between different guns for any one range sessions is a lot for me so supplies last me longer than some.

I know this, I'd hate to be the guy with only 100-200 rounds of each ammo. I was that guy in 2008, not this time.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:22 AM   #43
Hal

Quote:
because people ARE nervous about supply. BUT, we've been through this before... and it has always been temporary.
As I watched my variable annuity shrink by $1000.00 a day last year, and was helpless to do anything about it....I was reminded daily with a very annoying message...

"Past performance is not an indicator of future success"...

BTW - a relative bearing on this thread....
I cashed in that annuity online and had the option of either faxing my signature on the document or mailing it. I decided mailing it would be ok since I wasn't in any real hurry for the money.
W/no warning at all, the next day the annuity tanked and lost $1,000.00 and it contined to lose $1,000.00 a day for each of the next three days it took for my mailed signature to get there and be processed.

So.....yeah, I'm pretty hesitant about shooting up what I've got. Any funds to replace it have vanished.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:00 PM   #44
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Not as much as often as I was but I still get out there. yesterday was offhand practice at 25 yards for my single shot bolt action Savage and my Mosin Nagant M38. Here are two of the targets.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 12, 2013, 12:52 AM   #45
breakingcontact

Not shooting much until I can more easily replace what I shoot.

Very frustrated over it too.

Anyone with a line on some affordable bulk 9mm, let me know.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:53 AM   #46
Ignition Override

Today about forty rds. of Wolf 7.62x39 went through my SKS into various targets. About fifty rds. of 22LR also, and it will be mostly .22LR until events in Wash. DC become clearer in the next several weeks.
Gun control is partly a distraction.
Monstrous problems with the US deficit and borrowing ceiling are unbelievably complex. The struggles we saw in December were only the Prelude for Feb-March and later.

The ammo bubble might deflate before a leak in the 'AR price bubble' whistles like a Rolls Royce Dart engine.
Last week a "Wall Street Journal" writer stated that the anti-gunners can't even agree on a strategy, and there is some other hope, with key politicians facing mid-term elections. They are hearing from us, and want to keep their jobs.

If the only restrictions are a 10-rd. mag limit (on future mags) and better enforcement of present laws, watch a large number of ARs/AKs/VZ-58s/Minis hit the market in the next several months. Many unhappy buyers could realize the costly choices they made. Sure, it might Not happen, but imagine how much the market could be flooded-like in 2009?

The new paycheck reductions for social security, Obamacare costs etc will hit home. Small businesses are already reducing workers' hours to avoid the option of much higher health insurance costs (Obamacare). Less money pays for more ammo?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 13, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:25 PM   #47
TheNatureBoy

Afraid to shoot? Absolutely not. I have enough of everything and won't run out anytime soon. I had a strong feeling that Obama would be re-elected and started stock piling components early on. I Was planning a trip to the range on MLK weekend but gonna go spend the weekend my Mom in stead :-) Truth be told, I'm .308 heavy and really need to go to the range.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; January 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM.