The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Do you use a gun with a tac light for home defense?
Yes, my home defense gun has a tac light. 37 43.02%
No, my home defense gun does not have a tac light. 33 38.37%
I have a tac light on one of my guns but don't use it. 2 2.33%
I do not like tactical lights, period. 14 16.28%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Tactical Light for home defense

Does anyone have a tactical light on their home defense gun? If so..let's try to make this a picture thread. Tactical Lights on home defense guns. Or if carrying one is your thing...go ahead.

EDIT: typo, iPhone's annoying sometimes.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
hoytinak

I keep a TRL-1 on my bedside gun (just sold the Beretta so it's going on a M&P 40 when it gets here) but I also grab a regular light for checking out bumps in the night.

Old February 11, 2011, 12:29 AM   #3
OJ

Not enough choices - I have a Surefire light for use in left hand if needed - not on pistol-
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old February 11, 2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Nice!!! That's the light I want, should be getting it soon (few weeks)

anyone else?

EDIT :

OJ, same time post. Yeah? I hear a lot of good about surefire. I want one in hand and one mounted. No, not at the same time. Good to have both.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
DannySeesUSMC

I sold an older Insight a while ago but plan to get another when I move, not sure what brand/model though.

Here there is always some decent light in and around the house and an evil dog used for locating people and making first contact
Old February 11, 2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

lol is he really an "evil dog" cause I'd like to see a pic. Wish I had an attack dog

Seriously can't wait...It's my tactical light to go on one of my guns.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Mosin44az

TLR-1 just like Hoytinak's, mine's on a Glock 19 with TFOs. Great light, the TLR, VERY bright compared to my old Streamlight M3.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

I'm not into clearing houses, so I don't need a light stuck on my gun.
I do, however, use and sell some great home defense/general purpose lights that are extremely bright. They are all over the house.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:30 AM   #9
DannySeesUSMC

Constantine - some photos of the evil dog

Old February 11, 2011, 02:38 AM   #10
BikerRN

I keep a light on my AR, Shotgun, and one 1911 that resides either on my hip, or in the Holster on my Tac Vest, which is bullet resistant, and by the bed ready to don when I retire for the night. I also keep a handheld light for seeking what made that "bump in the night".

Biker
Old February 11, 2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Jamas

I don't have a light on my gun, but I have a hellfighter x-19 sitting next to my bed. I use that light everyday at work and like it over a weapon mounted light because if push comes to shove you can use the light as a weapon. I know it would be a bad situation if you had to defend yourself with a flashlight, but I've used it a couple of times and it would shock some to know how much damage you can do with one.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:36 AM   #12
Rinspeed

My AR has a Surefire but my handguns don't.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Skadoosh

Only on my HD AR. Not my handguns.

Old February 11, 2011, 07:01 AM   #14
jborushko

TLR-1 on my smith 325 thunder ranch.

yes i have a 'tac' light
yes its on a revolver, with a rail

surefire's on both Home defense shotguns and one of my AR's

and a ebay cheapo-special on my slice-n-chop 1911 - which has surprisingly held up very well
Old February 11, 2011, 07:30 AM   #15
Yung.gunr

Don't have one, but it's on the shopping list

I don't have a tac light on any of my guns, but I would definately like to put one on. It's just a matter of funds. Any good ones that are compact seem to cost an arm and a leg (if anyone has had good experience with a sub $50 one please PM me). I like the idea of having it in the event of a power outage (or if they cut my power before breaking in). I think that looking for a light in the dark when you should be reaching for your gun sounds like a bad idea. I have a couple flashlights next to the bed right next to my gun, but not having to worry about holding it and a gun during a high stress situation would be ideal. Especially for non LEOs who don't get the training for those high stress instances.
Old February 11, 2011, 08:34 AM   #16
shanzlik

TLR-2

TLR-1
Old February 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #17
greyeyezz

I think a weapon mounted light is the best thing since canned beer. It keeps your off hand free for opening doors, clearing jams, changing mags and a good two hand hold. It would be invaluable during a power outage.

I run one on my nightstand pistol and live alone. It's great for identifying a target. Anyone in my house at night has broken in and deserves to have a gun pointed at them. The strobe feature is debilitating if you ever been on the other end.

Old February 11, 2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Mosin44az ----TLR-1 just like Hoytinak's, mine's on a Glock 19 with TFOs. Great light, the TLR, VERY bright compared to my old Streamlight M3.
That's the one I'm thinking about getting! I don't think anymore, I'm getting it.

Quote:
Bill DeShivs ---- I'm not into clearing houses, so I don't need a light stuck on my gun.
I do, however, use and sell some great home defense/general purpose lights that are extremely bright. They are all over the house.
So Bill...How much for a TLR-1?

Quote:
DannySeesUSMC ---- Constantine - some photos of the evil dog
Danny...I did not know it was legal to keep bears as pets where you live. May I have a bear when your bear has cubs? lol seriously, I know why you carry a gun...Easier to conceal than your dog. Beautiful dog man. Congrats

Quote:
BikerRN ---- I keep a light on my AR, Shotgun, and one 1911 that resides either on my hip, or in the Holster on my Tac Vest, which is bullet resistant, and by the bed ready to don when I retire for the night. I also keep a handheld light for seeking what made that "bump in the night".
That's awesome lol really awesome. Smart too....Now I am considering rethinking my plan of just having it on my XD45 . You good sir, are zombie apocalypse ready. I think I am too..No wait..Not much ammo left

Quote:
Jamas ---- I don't have a light on my gun, but I have a hellfighter x-19 sitting next to my bed. I use that light everyday at work and like it over a weapon mounted light because if push comes to shove you can use the light as a weapon. I know it would be a bad situation if you had to defend yourself with a flashlight, but I've used it a couple of times and it would shock some to know how much damage you can do with one.
Well with a name like "hellfighter" sure seems like it lol I know there was one I HAD called "defender" with a serrated front. That was good times.

Quote:
Rinspeed ---- My AR has a Surefire but my handguns don't.
I'm lacking in the AR department

Quote:
Skadoosh ---- Only on my HD AR. Not my handguns.
You guys are starting to make me jealous -___- lol Nice though, very nice. I think my AR (when I get one) will be decked out.

Quote:
jborushko ---- TLR-1 on my smith 325 thunder ranch.
yes i have a 'tac' light
yes its on a revolver, with a rail
surefire's on both Home defense shotguns and one of my AR's
and a ebay cheapo-special on my slice-n-chop 1911 - which has surprisingly held up very well
Not gonna lie, never seen that before. Sounds amazing..I'd like to see a pic though..please? I was thinking about an ebay cheapo, but then really thought it through. TLR-1 also

Quote:
Yung.gunr ---- I don't have a tac light on any of my guns, but I would definately like to put one on. It's just a matter of funds. Any good ones that are compact seem to cost an arm and a leg (if anyone has had good experience with a sub $50 one please PM me). I like the idea of having it in the event of a power outage (or if they cut my power before breaking in). I think that looking for a light in the dark when you should be reaching for your gun sounds like a bad idea. I have a couple flashlights next to the bed right next to my gun, but not having to worry about holding it and a gun during a high stress situation would be ideal. Especially for non LEOs who don't get the training for those high stress instances.

I just reaaaaaaally want one on my XD45!

shanzlik, how much did that TLR-2 run you? That looks really awesome. I played with that one at the shop too. With the laser and the littler lever on the bottom to mix and match them and all that. Curious how much it costs...He told me $519??? I think he was stoned on some out of this country stuff though.

Representing the XD! That's where my tac lights going

LOVE the AR and the XD matching like that in color. Can't begin to say how awesome that is
Old February 11, 2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
greyeyezz ----I think a weapon mounted light is the best thing since canned beer. It keeps your off hand free for opening doors, clearing jams, changing mags and a good two hand hold. It would be invaluable during a power outage.

I run one on my nightstand pistol and live alone. It's great for identifying a target. Anyone in my house at night has broken in and deserves to have a gun pointed at them. The strobe feature is debilitating if you ever been on the other end.
Wow! Agree with you 100% The strobe feature is incredible I've seen it before. What brand is that light?

Also it IS much better in my opinion which is the same as your opinion to have it mounted for those reasons. .357 SIG...those are loud as heck at the range. Seen awesome ballistics on them
Old February 11, 2011, 10:35 AM   #20
mrgoodwrench76

Average price for a TLR 1 is around a hundred bucks (Google really is your friend) and the TLR 2 is a little over 2 hundred. The updated ones with the C4 led's are a little higher but worth the money.

I cant seem to get my pic to upload but I keep a G17 near my bed with a TLR1 attached.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
mrgoodwrench76 ---- Average price for a TLR 1 is around a hundred bucks (Google really is your friend) and the TLR 2 is a little over 2 hundred. The updated ones with the C4 led's are a little higher but worth the money.

I cant seem to get my pic to upload but I keep a G17 near my bed with a TLR1 attached.
Really? What's a Google? How and why is he my friend? Don't know him..

I see....So my plan is this.....Get the TLR-1 and wait till I get more money all at once to spare for the TLR-2 w/ the C4 LED bulb.

Valentines day, some debts..My car is lease and is FINALLY done in May, the 3rd. My last payment is April thankfully!

Financial times are really tough for us gun nuts.

G17 nice...I wanna see a pic of that. My G22 would have done the trick but it's a Gen2 no rail.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:00 PM   #22
OJ

Quote:
DannySeesUSMC Constantine - some photos of the evil dog
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/...92326bea_z.jpg

You look familiar - don't I know you??

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; February 11, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:33 PM   #23
FAS1

I have a G17 w/night sights for my HD weapon. Apparently there are a lot of people using lights now on handguns and we are now selling just as many FAS1-TL boxes as we are FAS1's. The TL (tactical light) version simply has a holster for gun w/a light or laser mounted on it.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:07 PM   #24
Todd-OR

Yup

Here it is...

Kimber Pro TLE/RL with Streamlight TLR-3. I love this combo!

*yes I know it's not locked in this pic Don't worry, it was empty.

Old February 11, 2011, 01:55 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I'm not a tac light guy but I can understand their use. I am a bit surprised that so many people use them though.

Tags
accessory , home defense , rail , tactical