The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 7, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Glockar-15

Business premises laws and requirements?

Hi everyone,

I am a business owner in Long Island NY and a sporting license permit holder. I am interested in obtaining a business premises license since I do not think I qualify for a business carry.

Does anyone know the requirements for a business premisis, class 1 license? I couldn't find any info online about this type. Is this license easy to obtain? Honestly, I'm either home or at work 90% of the time so having a sporting/business premisis would suit my needs adequately. In that case, would I have both sporting and business premisis printed on my license? Do they do that?

Also, does anyone know the protocol for transporting my pistol to/from my business from my home? Since business premisis is not a carry, I would imagine that it would have to be transported unloaded in a lock box in the trunk separate from ammo...correct? Or am I not even allowed to do that?

I read that home premises or business premises does not require "proper cause". Is this correct?

Just out of curiosity, are business owners allowed to possess rifles and shotguns at their place of business? Not that I would...just wanna know.

Any addittional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

In your place of business or home you do not need to provide reason of "need". Issuing of the permit is still at the discretion of the licensing officer in place that the business or home is located. They are not supposed to deny permits for reasons that are "arbitrary and capricious" but if they deny the permit you'd have to sue to have the decision altered. Which means a judge overturning a judge on a minor issue, good luck with that one.

You do not need a permit for a rifle or shotgun in your place of business unless, perhaps, that business is in NYC in which case I do not know.