The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 1999, 10:36 PM   #1
Jawbone

I'm a little new to reloading a 6.5 x 55 swedish mauser. I would like to work up a nice accurate load for silhouette's using 129gr. Could anyone tell me a nice accurate load or anything else I might need to consider on this subject?
Thank you very much Jawbone.

(1) My first try was a 129gr Hor-45grs/H4350. Heading to the range to test.
(a) Have little supplies, hit Good and sighted for 300 meters, Will chorigraph.

[This message has been edited by Jawbone (edited August 24, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jawbone (edited August 24, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jawbone (edited August 26, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jawbone (edited August 26, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jawbone (edited August 27, 1999).]
Old August 24, 1999, 10:55 PM   #2
orsogato

Hey Jawbone,

Since I am a huge IMR4895 fan I will suggest a few loads for you on your Swede.

129 grain (I am assuming some type of jacketed bullet and not cast)

IMR4895 start gr. 38.0 MAX grains 42.
velocity on starter load = 2500f.p.s. approx
" " on max load = 2700

let me know how it goes.
Old August 24, 1999, 11:04 PM   #3
Big Bunny

A great cartridge indeed ! I have a M38 an M96 and a sporter(1901 Carl Gustav receiver) with synthetic stock, Timney trigger, Leupold 3/9 scope.(The AG42B is now illegal here...)A quality rig .
I use the excellent standard NORMA military berdan load @35C a shot, one is 140/139gn and the other is a shortie 95gn for target work.
For the M38(SSAA military match) I am currently loading Sierra 140 HP spitzer for steels up to 500m with 38gn of ADI 2208 and an RWS berdan primer. Will chrono it soon
and let you know if it is duplicating the military load at 2,500FPS!
Hunting loads will easily exceed this as contary to current "wisdom" this strong swedish steel action and calibre are marvellous and give modern technos a real run for their money.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 26, 1999, 12:44 PM   #4
Nestor Rivera

just went to the range, with my 1917 Carl Gustav 1896 and shot a 1/2inch at 50 yards with my pet load

Bullet: Sierra Match King 120g
Primer: Winchester Standard Large Rifle
Powder: Hogden 4895 38grains

Just shoots great.

Old August 28, 1999, 12:59 PM   #5
Jawbone

Fellow Carl G stads shooter Thank You for your information an the 4895 load, excelent powder and bullit choice. I also have a 1917 C. G. Stads 28 1/2inch barrel. I am looking for a thread cap cover for the muzzle, Can you help?

Jawbone
Old August 28, 1999, 04:02 PM   #6
Nestor Rivera

Yes, I belive SAMCO has them, or you can put a Muzzle break on it, mine is form Dynamic Ind. can be foune in SGN

Note I take no legal resposablity for any load data used, it worked for me and that is All I will hold to. (neccery weasly lawyer like stuff sorry about that)
Old August 30, 1999, 03:54 PM   #7
Walt Welch

Accepting loading information from individuals is fraught with peril. I would suggest you never do this.

There are many reasons for this; individual firearms may develop different pressures with the same loads; elevated pressures may not be recognized; loading data may be incomplete (components not completely specified, OAL missing, etc.); different lots of components may produce different results. And so on. Besides, there is a much better way to get the latest loading data.

Go to Shooters' Gunlinks: http://www.shooterslinks.com/
click on 'Search by category,' then on 'Product manufacturers, non firearm.'

There you will find a plethora of reloading data, from Accurate Arms, Alliant (formerly Hercules), Olin (formerly Winchester), Hodgdon, VV and others. Many of these sites have downloadable (.pdf format) reloading data guides, or you can use the site interactively.

This is the ONLY way to be sure you are getting accurate, up to date information. When Olin retested their data using the piezoelectric system, they drastically decreased some loads which had been developed using the copper crusher method.

This is the computer age. I have reloading books going back to the '60's. Their only purpose is entertainment. Many of the loads they contain would be considered greatly excessive today, and rightfully so. They are useless for reloading data. Get your data from the most up to date, accurate source. Don't be foolish.

Walt Welch, NRA Life 1972, reloader since 1957
Old August 31, 1999, 12:59 AM   #8
Big Bunny

Watch the muzzle breaks. The Swedish masterpiece does not need one and was never fitted. I understand the threaded muzzle was for a balsa blank deflector not a silencer etc. Some brands will not allow a bayonet to be fitted, if this is important to to you... check dimensions first before ordering.
Have fun and use the powder manufacturers' loading data !

------------------
***Big Bunny***