The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2000, 01:53 AM   #1
Mylhouse

So what IS the general consensus on Roguard? I looked through the searches, and some think it is great and some hate it. However, there wasn't much first-hand feedback. I have been told by a former employee that Robbie Barkmann was a "crook" and that it wasn't much better than spray paint. I don't know if that was objective musings or pure resentment. I'm just curious of those with first-hand experience. I live in Phoenix, so it would be convenient to go with Robar rather than send my gun out. If it really is a POS finish, I'd like to know, I just hear too many people saying good things (including major mag writers) to completely write it off! Thanks.
Old December 28, 2000, 08:45 AM   #2
Mike Baugh

I have never had one done myself but I handled a Kahr K9 that had been done in Roguard . I would not want it done on my weapon if the one I looked at was the way they all looked . It was very rough and uneven , it looked like undercoating . The owner of the gun was very unhappy with it and was wanting to unload it . Good luck , Mike...
Old December 28, 2000, 09:26 AM   #3
ajacobs

I have handled rogard coated guns that looked great. I don't have one but I have had some work done by them including np3 on many pistols. You may want to consider that finish, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it. They are a plating company first and gunsmiths second.
Old December 28, 2000, 11:30 AM   #4
Jhp147

Rogard

I have a semi-auto done in Rogard slide, NP3 frame/internals. My impression is that the Rogard wears much better than a blued surface, which is really all I have personal experience to compare it with. I had a problem with chipping on my gun when it first came back, Robar fixed it with no problem. It seems to be a bit high in price and long on wait for the gun to return, though.
Old December 28, 2000, 03:11 PM   #5
Mark King

I had a Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP re-finished by Robar about 3 years ago. They coated the slide and all external steel parts with Roguard and the internal steel parts with NP3.

The finish on my slide was very well done. It was evenly applied and matched the anodized frame of the gun quite well. It's held up remarkably well considering the gun is carried almost daily. I do have a slight bit of holster wear at the muzzle end of the slide but it has been three years and countless times in and out of the holster.

No regrets and I will probably send my Kimber to Robar for re-finishing when it's necessary.

Mark / FL
Old December 28, 2000, 07:05 PM   #6
Mylhouse

Thanks, guys. The reason I ask about Roguard is that I bought a used USP 40c with the slide done in Roguard. It seems to have a couple of wear spots on the corners and some of the inside of the slide is worn down. I haven't added any wear myself.

My main concern is the question on whether or not they stripped away the Hostile Environment's protective qualities when they prepped the metal for Roguard. IOW, will the worn areas be vulnerable to rust? If so, then I'll probably send the slide off to Metalife or Tripp Research and get the slide hardchromed for ~$50. More insight would be appreciated.
Old December 28, 2000, 07:07 PM   #7
Trevor

I had Robar apply Roguard to a Gov't model about a year ago. After fairly consistent use, the finish has come off in the so-called abraded areas: slide stop, frame rails, under the slide. Robar's warranty information clearly states that this wear will occur. Yet, I am now getting chips and flakes on the thumb safety. I called Robar about it. They are happy to re-apply it to cover chips and flakes. So, they stand by their services and product.

After due consideration, I decided not to bother because I don't want to send my pistol repeatedly through shipping and handling. Once the finish looks unacceptable (Roguard shows holster wear too), I am going to have the pistol parkerized, which I should have done in the beginning. Roguard, IMO, is not worth the additional expense.