The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
led0321

Wife wants an LCP

She has a Glock 26 but wants a smaller gun for EDC.

Any negatives to it? Better guns the same size?
Old July 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
kahrguy

Let her wrap her fingers around D series TCP. Best trigger of all micros and a bit different feel than the other 380 micros models.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
LewSchiller

Lotsa love around here for the Sig P238
Old July 6, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
9mm

Keep G26 and carry lcp too
Old July 6, 2013, 08:33 PM   #5
bt380

The 2013 Kahr cw380 w/ buffalo bore +p load alternating hcn and jhp rounds. Small and light to make for ease of carry. The newer Ruger LCP 380 Gen 2 is a nice gun too and some complain about the perceived recoil (snappy) but think the cw380 is ok (all opinion, hand type, grip, etc). The cw380 is marketed to handle the +p loads but the Ruger doesn't support it in their manuals. The p238 is a very low perceived recoil but I can't get past the safety of cocked/locked back up w/ a soft SA trigger pull. Find a gun range that has a loaner to shoot to help in the research.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Gbnk82

My wife has one and loves it..she is very small framed and held alot of compacts while looking for her pistol and didnt like the feel of any until the lcp..it fir her like a glove..she only has about 300to rounds thru it but it hasnt had any problems.nice little shooter
Old July 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
jfrey

My wife wanted something lighter than the .38spl she was carrying so she got the newer model LCP and likes it. I don't find the recoil too snappy and the little thing is really accurate. My advice would be "Go for it".
Old July 6, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Gbnk82

If you have the option to shoot it before you buy i would have your wife try it..if she likes and has fun shooting then she is going to get good with it which is all that really matters..and as jfrey sa id for such a short gun it is pretty accurate
Old July 7, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Great little guns and very reliable. Recoil is more than what you would think however. Mostly that is due to the LCP being very small and I have pretty large hands and can't get a great grip on it. Smaller hands with a better grip might reduce some of that recoil.

Ruger, as a side note, also stands behind their product and has some of the best customer service around if you do happen to have any issues.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
redhologram

If she wants one, get her one. I've never tried one, I have the p238 and can't say enough good about it. Bit I have heard plenty of good about the LCP.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:47 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Re: Wife wants an LCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by led0321 View Post

Any negatives to it? Better guns the same size?
Any negatives? The recoil is sharp. It will recoil more than her G26and she'll feel it.

Any better guns the same size? The Sig P238.
Old July 7, 2013, 01:46 PM   #12
led0321

She likes the s&w body guards better....not sure which one
Old July 7, 2013, 01:51 PM   #13
915A

Quote:
Originally Posted by led0321 View Post

Better guns the same size?
I dont know about better since that is subjective, but if you ate looking for a smaller 9 that's a great shooter the 290rs is worth a look. My wife loves hers.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Chris9472

Quote:
Let her wrap her fingers around D series TCP. Best trigger of all micros and a bit different feel than the other 380 micros models.
+1 to that. I have handled and shot both, and found no major qualitative differences in workmanship or reliably between the TCP 738 and the Ruger LCP (although both may need some minor modifications to achieve optimum performance).

The TCP 738 has a better trigger, superior sights, and most importantly, last shot hold-open, which turned out to be the deal breaker for me with the LCP. The 738 is also made in the USA, and the base model can be had for around $100 cheaper. It was a no-brainer to me which one I would choose. In my opinion it also looks nicer, and not such an obvious rip-off of the Kel-Tec PTA3.

The only cons to me is that the TCP is not as rounded or smooth as the LCP, and it's wider trigger guard may not fit in all holster designed for the LCP or similar types. I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster designed for the S&W BG380, which I found fits the TCP better then it does the BG380.

If you buy a TCP 738 now, you can also get 1 years free membership with the NRA through Taurus. This is an unbeatable deal.

Last edited by Chris9472; July 7, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:15 PM   #15
dsa1115

I thought the LCP had a very harsh recoil. However I installed the Hogue Handall grip for my LCP and it made a huge difference. With this grip, it's much more comfortable shooting.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Gbnk82

i really have to disagree with most about the recoil of the lcp from shooting my wifesit seems very light in terms of recoil..before i shot it i was concerned since i have large hands and couldnt get all my fingers on it but after shooting it i can easily single hand it without much noticable recoil..but that is just me it may be my grip on the gun as everyone has slightly different grips and strength percevied recoil is different for everyone which brings me back to my original statement, if you can get ahold of one let her shoot it before buying she may love it she may want something with a slightly larger grip but she wil never know untilshe shoots it..
Old July 7, 2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Skarekrow88

My ball n' chain packs a S&W Bodyguard .38 with a Hogue Tamer grip on it and she loves it. She hates micro .380s
Old July 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Dashunde

I really like my LCP, its about all I carry anymore.
It's fun to shoot 50 rounds through and it'll hit shotgun shell while plinking around at random distances.
I also have plenty of fun just point-shooting it at paper plates.

I carry a G27 while in the hood for work.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #19
TailGator

I'll give the P238 another word. That is what my wife chose. It is considerably pricier than the LCP, and noticeably heavier, but the extra weight helps tame recoil, and some of those light little .380s can be a touch snappy. The little Sig is really quite a lot of fun at the range. Also, the sights are excellent.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
pax

Short sight radius, vestigial sights, hurts like hell to shoot. (Though less painful than similar weight competitors.)

If she can hit the target with it, has shot more than 50 rounds through one (in one afternoon), and still wants it, it's a good gun.

pax
Old July 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #21
pilpens

Has she tried Kahr pistols (K9,CW9, etc)?
They are smaller than G26.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

It's hard to find anything negative to say about my Elsie Pea! Some complain about the sights, or lake there of, but at common self defense range mine is very accurate for point & shoot instinct shooting. It handles, and feels like an extension of my hand. Like a finger pointing at the target.
Others complain about the "sharp" recoil. That to me is also completely bogus. The recoil with various FMJ and SD hollow point rounds has never been a concern in the least.
Reliability has been 100% with well over 500 rounds being fired without any mishaps what so ever.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Erikbal

They're good guns but I personally like my Bodyguard .380 more. The slide locks back when empty which the LCP doesn't, and it has a manual safety which I also like as well. I've only got about 250 rounds through mine but it has been flawless, a great carry gun!
Old July 10, 2013, 11:08 AM   #24
ragwd

The ElsieP is my hot weather EDC. Shoots everything thing I ever feed it, reliable as any. I differ on the common opinion of a sharp recoil, I find it very shootable and have put 100 rounds down range in a single range visit. But then Im a big guy with big hands. Things I dont like : I dont like the fact that slide doesnt lock on empty mag, the barrel is very thin, especially about 3/8ths of a inch from end. Im not a engineer nor do I play one on TV. So i have no idea what pressure the thin barrel will hold nor do i know what the small .380 round will develop. the thinness at point really surprised me. I have put over 500 rounds thru that barrel with no ill effect, just wish the barrel was a bit beefier. Shot placement is critical with .380. The price of the Elsiep is right, and the concealment is great. I slip it into my back pock of my Jeans (relaxed fit, not a skinny jeans guy) with a pocket holster and it prints less than my wallet. I agree with Pax , if your wife can shoot it and not have a issue with the recoil then it would be a excellent choice.
Old July 10, 2013, 03:44 PM   #25
pete2

If the wife wants an LCP get her one.