The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2000, 01:01 PM   #1
Joel Harmon

I have 1000 .223 bullets with a cannule (sp) around the middle. Do I have to seat the bullet directly on the cannule or can I seat the bullet so it touches the rifling in the barrel (this would be behind the cannule)? Does it affect accuracy either way? Do I need to buy bullets without cannules in order to seat them where I want them?

I am shooting a Savage 110FP heavy barrel. I am using WC844 powder and Winchester primers. The bullets are 55 grain FMJBT Winchesters. I am going for the most accuracy I can without going broke by buying bulk bullets, using once fired brass, and surplus powder. Also, can any of you tell me what kind of group sizes you get with the 62 grain FMJ green tip bullets at 100 yards?

Thanks,

Joel
Old October 25, 2000, 01:01 AM   #2
bk40

Joel, you don't have to seat to the cannalure(sp?). Go ahead and try various seating depths... maybe beginning with touching rifling. And, don't forget about potential higher pressures.

Can't help you with the 62 grain FMJ green tip bullets question- probably depends on your rifling twist.
Old October 25, 2000, 03:49 AM   #3
MADISON

You can seat the bullet at the canalure or seat the bullet OUT to the lands. Some rifles shoot best at the canalure; some deeper than the canalure and; some at the lands. My Ruger "Ultra Lite" in 223 has a short chamber so, I have to seat to the canalure.

Try as many lengths, on the bullet as you like, until you get what you want.

[This message has been edited by MADISON (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 25, 2000, 11:44 PM   #4
WalterGAII

I've gotten much better accuracy with IMI fmjbt's at $35 per 1000, from Wideners, than I've been able to get from either Winchester or Remington bulk bullets.