The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 17, 2000, 09:57 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

Has anyone heard of/used one of these? As I understand it, it's a blind tube - you don't see through it? You look into the tube and see a dot or something with one eye, and look at the target with the other eye, and somehow the two images will line up? If that's true, then the images of sight and target are not actually physically superimposed - they are only "superimposed" in your brain. Is any of this correct?

occlude: v to close up or block off; obstruct - Webster

Old May 17, 2000, 11:27 PM   #2
Zak Smith

That's pretty much it. If you have a scoped rifle, cover up the far end with something, and then aim the rifle with both eyes open. The crosshairs will be superimposed on the target, even though you aren't looking "through" the scope.

-z
Old May 18, 2000, 05:12 AM   #3
GI Loveguns

Yep, that's it, alright. I used to use an OEG on a 20" barrelled Remington 1100 12gauge for rabbit hunting. It worked well for that. You have to have two good eyes, though...

------------------
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."Ecclesiastes 10:2
Old May 18, 2000, 04:07 PM   #4
jthuang

You hit it on the head. Echo the requirement to have two good eyes -- it won't work for me. I've had two surgeries to try and correct my eye problems and only the second one had any real effect.

You can see if such a sight will work for you by using the following impromptu test. Find a buddy who has a conventional closed-tube dot scope with lens covers (or find one at the store). I used my Aimpoint Comp M-XD for this experiment. Close the front lens cap and turn on the sight, then try and "sight in" using both eyes open.

If it works, you should see your target with the dot superimposed upon it. If you have monovision like me, you won't.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old May 21, 2000, 08:44 AM   #5
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

I have one of these..a British 'Singlepoint', picked it up in a sporting goods store used for peanuts many years ago. Brits put them on shotguns and Sten guns. I tried it on .22's and a .44 carbine. The dot is 16moa...big as a car's hubcap at 50yds...so it's limited to big, close targets.
I found that the dot and target will superimpose, but that there's a technique involved...if you are an experienced 'scope user it's harder; you have learned to somewhat suppress the image from the off eye with regular 'scopes, and you must not, with the OE type. I also found that the image of the dot would 'wander' if I held the sight picture too long.
--slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Old May 22, 2000, 09:09 AM   #6
GgnubrKihn

The Armson OEG's were tops for their day for quick reaction shooting. Had one (still do just needs recharging) for an AR and they can still give a good showing for themselves once zeroed. Good out to 100-150 yds pretty easy. The Dot size on mine was about 5 MOA IIRC. No batteries and charge is good for at least 10 yrs.