The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 16, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Shakgul

More robberies caught on tape.

I have been seeing more strong arm robberies caught on tape, which got me thinking. When is it ok to pull your gun? I saw one where the guys just roled up on him and started whaling on him. I think in the circumstance, I would of ran and if they chased me, then deserve all the bullets I am about to shoot at them. In strong armed robbery with multple assailants do you think you have to be physically injured in using force? I know the law says forcable felonly but remember if there are multiple people it's going to be your word against theres.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It depends on your location.

In general, in the U.S. it's always ok to pull your gun if deadly force is legally justified. In some areas you may be able to pull it sooner, but it's always safe to pull it if deadly force is already legally justified.

So when is deadly force legally justified? In the U.S. it's pretty safe (legally speaking) to use deadly force if:

1. You are not currently in the process of committing a serious crime.
AND
2. You did not instigate the confrontation/situation.
AND
3. You have no other reasonable alternative but to use deadly force.
AND
4. The person who will be the focus of deadly force is currently committing or immediately about to commit a violent felony against you.
AND
5. You reasonably believe that if you do not immediately use deadly force you will be seriously injured or killed.

In some areas you may be able to legally use deadly force in other situations, but it's a good bet that you can legally use deadly force under the circumstances described above.