The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 12, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1
jdscholer

Fix For Duffle-Cut Mauser

I posted the other day about this German 98 that I aquired, and it's poor amputated stock.

I'd like to fix it back to original condition, but until I find the right stock or part of one, I'd like to have it operable without looking like Hell, and be able to shoot and carry without the barrel band and hand guard falling off.
Sooo--- I figured out a way to cap the end with a fitted piece of steel which fastens with a screw. It cinches everything tightly together, and is removable allowing disassembly and future repair.

I inserted an aluminum lug into the cleaning rod channel grooved and epoxied, and threaded to accept a 10-32 screw.

Then I created this little cap, carefully matching the size and curverature of the barrel band and barrel. I made it so that it doesn't actually contact the barrel.

I gave the cap and barrel band a quick cold blue so they match.

And reinstalled everything with a countersink screw.

In the future, I can reattach the front portion of the stock under the barrel band where the cut won't be seen. I can simply drill out the aluminum lug to the proper size to accept the cleaning rod, and hopefully put this rifle back to stock configuration. Till then, I can shoot it, and pack it on the sling, and it doesn't look too bad.

If anyone has the parts that I need, and wants to do a little business, PM me. Thanks for looking. jd
Old September 13, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Nice work. I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.

What kind of cold blue do you use?
Old September 13, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3
jdscholer

Quote:
Nice work. I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.

What kind of cold blue do you use?
Thanks John, I've been using the Birchwood Casey Paste. And the rifle is likely to be like this for awhile at least. jd
Old September 13, 2012, 08:18 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Slick piece of work.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I may have to give the BC paste a try. I've been using Oxpho Blue which works pretty well, but the finish you've got looks better.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:11 PM   #6
PetahW

I'd leave it alone, too - That's one of the BEST treatments I've ever seen, for an amputated forend. .

Ingenious.........

Old September 14, 2012, 08:37 PM   #7
TX Hunter

That acutally looks pretty sharp. Good job.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #8
stu925

That's some nice work right there. Looks much better than it did, I'd leave it like that. Nice job.

Stu
Old September 17, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
jdscholer

Thank you fellow gun dudes for the kind comments. That mauser will indeed stay like that for the forseeable future, or until I find a red glue laminate forend to splice on.

We took this rifle out yesterday, and set the 14" gong out at 275 yards. (that's all the room we had). I've kinda gotten away from open sight shooting, and that 14 inches looked pretty small out there. I was surprised however to find that with a casual rest off the Jeep that we could ring it very regularly. From sitting position I was nearly 50%. Standing, I sucked.

This cartridge hits VERY hard, and is a blast to shoot. I'm gonna get a mold to cast my own for it, and will probably burn a lot of powder through this gun. jd
Old September 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Que

Extremely well done! I've done a few "Mauser Rescues" taking sporterized rifles back to "original" congifuration, but that is one sweet fix short of that.

My current K98 was a sporterized Russian Capture BNZ 45. It had the rear sight removed and the front os the stock chopped off much like the OP's rifle. I replaced the sight and re-stocked it with a late war laminated stock and a late war stamped front band. The rifle is pretty much as it should be for a 45, but I would be quite happy to have the OP's rifle in it's current configuration. While I'm always glad to see "original" K98, if a rifle has been sporterized it's great to see on like the OP's.