The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: actual experience with taurus
Never owned one, but would if the right deal came along 42 11.76%
never owned one and never will 22 6.16%
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues 198 55.46%
owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems 95 26.61%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19, 2013, 09:34 AM   #201
Garycw

actual experience with Taurus

I'm 3 for 3 .... ALL GOOD! No problems with function or accuracy
Old May 19, 2013, 10:38 AM   #202
mukwah

Re: actual experience with Taurus

2 for 2, no complaints whatsoever!
Old May 19, 2013, 04:29 PM   #203
TG70

Mixed experience

I have owned six, both new and "new to me". Of the six two had problems. In the case of one revolver the trigger consistently failed to return after firing a round. The trigger pull on a rimfire revolver was extremely heavy, hard to even cock for single action. The other four worked fine.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #204
superspirit

I've owned a total of 5, I had a M44ss6 that I wish I had never let a guy talk me out of. I still have a PT1911, this has been a flawless gun. I had a 24/7 pro ,40 cal it was junk from day one. Had a 941 22 mag, it shot well but had the worst trigger of any gun I ever owned. then came the M327, after 2 trips back to taurus, the gun still had ftf's on a regular basis, and you nearly had to have a hammer to get the empties out of it. the dealer bought it back. so it boils down to 2 good ones and 3 bad ones for me, the poll is closed but I vote that I've owned them and had lots of problems. if you get a good one then they are good, but when you get a bad one they wont or cant (you decide) fix it. I wont ever buy another that is certain.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:14 PM   #205
foghorn25

I had a PT-92, first gun I ever owned. I probably put 300 - 400 rounds through it and had a few (4 or 5?) stovepipes. Can I really say it was "the gun"?... or simply it didn't like that ammo? Who knows. I really can't say I ever found any fit or finish issues with it. In my estimation it was a decent gun, fine for the range, I just sold it because I wanted a more compact 9mm and in a personal defense capacity, a handful of jams out of 400 rounds is too many to trust your life to. I much prefer my Sig that I have now (and for the money, I should!)....but that doesn't mean I think Taurus's are "junk". Obviously my experience with them is limited.

"Brand bashing" seems popular here. I love my Rugers, but some folks love to hate on them. I don't get it. I'm not a big Glock or S&W fan but they're fine guns, if you love yours more power to you.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:35 PM   #206
Lordy123

Quote:
Actually it's about a third. 198 good & 95 bad. Still kinda high if you ask me.
Not really, you cant extrapolate that data from this poll. 95 people had at least one problem with at least one Taurus product. Since there's no way to know how many Taurus products each respondent has/had, its just meant to provide perspective.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:07 AM   #207
wpsdlrg

I've had 3 Taurus guns:

A Model 851 revolver....that was terrific. 1750 rounds, give or take, with no problems and quite accurate with the right loads. Quality (fit & finish, etc.) was fine. Couldn't ask for more.

A Model PT845 pistol. No problems through about 500-600 rounds, but too bulky. Fit, finish and function were just fine.

A Model PT145 pistol. At something like 800 rounds, broke a very small link in the FCG, which caused it to go full-auto. Subsequent investigation revealed the problem. The model was originally DAO, then parts were added (including the part that failed) to make it SA/DA. I simply removed the add-on parts, thus making it DAO again. Never another problem. The slide to frame fit was loose, from the start.... so the gun was rattly (which didn't evoke confidence). That increased over time. Put a total of 1200-1400 rounds through the gun. It was surprisingly accurate at SD distances.... and reliable (after conversion to DAO). It just felt junky, though.

I sold each of my Tauruses, for different reasons. The revolver simply because I was ready to move on.....and I often miss that one. The PT845 because it didn't fit my hand (and was too large). The PT145 because, at the end of the day, I didn't think that much of it (I would say that the overall quality was a let-down).

Would I consider another Taurus ? Yes, but admittedly, I'd have more concerns than with some other brands. In any case, I've moved on and am not really in the market for anything else now.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:18 PM   #208
pete2

I've owned !, sold them for a while. I won't buy another, saw too many come back on warranty, the gun I had wouldn't run 100 rounds ever. Glad to be rid of it. Too bad cause they have some really nice designs, if you get one that works you're in business.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #209
hornetguy

I guess I fit into the owned/still own category...

I had a stainless 357 revolver (mod 66?)with adjustable sights... it consistently hit to the left.. had to move the rear sight almost all the way over to adjust for it. Got to looking at it, and found that the barrel was not rotated quite to "top dead center".. the front sight was leaning slightly to the right. Not a huge deal, but a little irritating. The gun functioned fine.
I currently own a stainless 5 shot 38 snub, don't remember the model number, and it has been pretty much a flawless performer. I occasionally get a failure to fire when doing double action shooting, but since I've gone to Winchester primers from CCI, it hasn't happened.
I also own a Pro 24/7 in .45 ACP, and it has been a flawless performer as well.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM   #210
Sarge

Going on #2, so far so good. I should probably buy a lottery ticket LOL.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:57 PM   #211
Seaman

After reading this thread, finally decided to take a chance on a Taurus, figured the odds were 3 to 1 in my favor, betting $299 that I could get a good one.

Because no one except Taurus is building a moon-clip 40 cal revolver, picked up a Taurus 405 2" snubby and if bad, am prepared to fix it myself.

The 40 cal rimless cartridge is very accurate and I wanted the flexibility of a revolver to test it further (besides the P229)... ever searching for that perfect pistol cartridge.

The Good:

First 5 shots, 21 feet, freehand, pictured below. 180 gr fmj fp. Looks like a shooter! About S&W K size, very solid feel to this large snubby. Wide hammer, excellent smooth DA trigger, as good as S&W, SA trigger... well sneeze and it goes boom, also very S&W. Tight lockup, good forcing cone clearance. Uses moon-clips, very quick reloads, sadly Charter Arms totally missed the boat on this one. Internal lock... this one is well designed, perhaps Taurus will buy S&W and fix S&Ws problematic IL system.

Comes with a rubbery ribbed grip... makes the grip fatter, I shaved it back. Machine and tooling marks present (ie chambers), but everything works OK. S&Ws are mirror finish.

The Bad:

No bad.

The Ugly:

No ugly.

Conclusion:

Taurus can build a very good revolver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taurus 405 target.jpg (48.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Taurus 405 cylinder.jpg (64.5 KB, 22 views)
Old June 14, 2013, 04:21 PM   #212
RUN2424

I had the PT101 P,until it blew up in my face. I put 300 rounds threw it and half a box of reloads,thats when it blew shooting the reloads. It was a good gun,shot good so i have nothing bad to say about it. Never figured out if it was the reloaded rounds or gun. The guy i got the rounds from loaded me some
30-30 and .243 and those shot fine. Shot 50 rounds of 9mm and half box of .45
from him with no problems.He did make good by giving me a beretta 96.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #213
revolvers_good

I have one Taurus - Model 669 - stainless 357 mag with 6 inch barrel with wood grips.

I am quite satisfied with this gun. I bought it used. I shoot mostly 38 special with it. The trigger is quite good, both DA and SA. The cylinder lock up isn't particularly tight.

I have no plans on parting with it, and would buy another Taurus revolver.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #214
JerryM

Have owned 2 with 50% satisfaction. One never got corrected, and after over a year with numerous letters and several returns they finally replaced the gun. I immediately sold it. Not a good percentage. A friend has three or four, and has had to send at least one back for warranty.
The trouble today with sending them back is not worth it to save a few bucks over a Ruger or S&W.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.