The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
wpsdlrg

"Pocket" 9mm recommendations ?

I usually don't pose questions like this....but, in this case, I'll make an exception.

Of late, I sometimes get tired of carrying the pistols I have (I've paired down my "collection" to two 9mm's..... both compact sized with approx. 3.5" barrels). Sometimes, I think it would be nice to have a handy little "pocket" model, to drop into a pocket holster (then into a pocket)....rather than strapping on a holster. Doesn't matter what kind, all holsters become uncomfortable to me after a couple of hours (and I've tried them all, including ones I make myself). So, I've started to think in terms of a pocket 9mm....as a SOMETIME carry piece.

I've done a bit of research on these....and handled several. I would very much like some opinions from those who already HAVE such pistols.....as to a good potential choice.

Whatever it will be, I want 9mm. I handload 9mm.....and it's now the only hand gun cartridge I load....so 9mm it is, period.

I'm not making any preconceptions or setting limits as to trigger design, but theoretically, I would prefer a DAO (a true DAO, with multiple strike capability). However, I am not setting limits on this - not now.

$$ is an important consideration. Not that I don't have any.....but, I don't WANT to spend a mint on such a pistol. Bad time to look, I know, as prices have gotten stupid lately (not to mention availability)....but the "shortage" won't last.....and I'm not in a great hurry.

I am an experienced shooter, so I am well aware of the limitations and accuracy "challenges" of such small pistols - so no need to undertake a lecture on this.

So far, the pistols I've considered are the Ruger LC9, the Kel-Tec PF9, one model by Kahr (PM9 ?.....I can't remember the exact designation) and the Beretta Nano. However, I have made no limitations as to the final choice (I'm not yet excluding anything). The only absolute is that the pistol in question must be (relatively) easily pocketable - so don't suggest any compact or full size pistols please.

Anyway, what say you ? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #2
meanmachine1961

Of the 4 pistols you mentioned, I have owned a LC9 and a Nano. The Nano I still have and is a fine gun. In my opinion, both of these options are a little large for pocket carry unless maybe in cargo pockets.

I have not owned the PM9 but have heard great things about it. I would consider this more of a true pocket pistol.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #3
SIMP

I like the LC9 but it's on the verge of pocket carry. I'm a Ruger fan and the LC9 hasn't disappointed. Good luck.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

I bought a Kahr CM9 because of its "pocketability". If you would like a second strike capability, I just read the review on the Sig P290RS, which is a hammer fired 9mm with second strike capability. It looked interesting and not terribly out of line as far as price goes.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Broker

I have a Kahr CW9. Great little pistol, accurate & easy to shoot well, too. I find the DAO trigger works very well for me, long, but not heavy, & doesn't stack. Great trigger for a carry piece. Kahr sells night sights for it too, & that's important to me for a carry gun. It is the upper limit of "pocketable", IMHO. I carry mine in a Lobo horsehide IWB. I had a Ruger LCP 380 that was much easier in a pocket, but sold it. I find a S&W J frame (642 Airweight) most comfortable for pocket carry, myself. Good luck to you, you should be able to find something to suit you.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Aristides

Sig P938

I have the Sig P938. It is easily pocketable, very accurate, has never had a failure of any kind, comes with night sights.

However, it is not DAO. It is SAO. The safety is firm enough that I don't worry about carrying it routinely in my pocket.

Instead of a traditional pocket holster, I use one of my thin leather pocket wraps, which I make myself. Less bulky than a traditional pocket holster, yet helps hide the outline of the pistol in my pocket.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:42 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

my picks...

For a decent 9x19mm pocket or sub-compact, I'd see the Beretta Nano, the Kimber Solo, the SIG Sauer P290RS the Walther PPS, the M&P Shield.
The P290RS is redesigned & has a 2nd strike system. Be sure you buy a P290RS not the older less impressive P290 9x19mm.

Id also suggest using only factory made rounds for carry or defense. FMJs or PowRball type found. It will feed & cycle in the sub compact.

www.GunsAmerica.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.jgsales.com www.shopcorbon.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com
Old April 28, 2013, 03:51 AM   #8
weldonjr2001

I own the Nano, and P290RS. I bought them, and the Kahr PM9 I also owned, as "pocket nines", but after trying for a while, I find them, for me, a little too large, and slow out of the pocket in my Docker style pants pockets. And I don't wear my pants tight.

I keep going back to my LCP. It comes out of the pocket so much quicker than either of the two above I still own.

Now I still keep the Nano, and P290RS, and find them both perfectly reliable and fine shooters, but carry them instead in a small gunpack instead of trying to force them into a pocket role that for me, doesn't work.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:35 AM   #9
skoro

I've carried a PF9 for over 4 years now. It's a crude and unrefined weapon, but very compact and serves well in my front right pocket with a DeSantis holster. I gave it a fluff n' buff with my Dremel when I first got it and it's been very reliable.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:20 AM   #10
wnycollector

I had a PF-9 for ~6 months. It proved unreliable for me (to many FTF and FTE's). I sent it back to the factory (great service BTW) where they cleaned up the feed ramp and replaced the extractor and I then traded it away.

I now pocket carry a Ruger LCP and couldn't be happier. 500+ rounds without a hiccup. With the new factory 7 round mags, I carry 7+1 in a smaller more reliable package than my PF-9.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #11
kcub

I recommend and carry the kimber solo cdp.

I like having the laser and recommend that on whatever make and model you decide on.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:50 PM   #12
engineer88

I had an LC9 and a PF9. I now only have a CM9. The PF9 was flawless and had no issues but a family member needed a pocket 9 for the same reason as you, his Glock 30 was a little much in some cases. The LC9 I had rusted like a mug in Florida, so it had to go even though it ran flawless for me too. The CM9 has stayed, run flawless and even earned itself a Crimson Trace laser. It is on the verge of being too large for Pocket carry and I prefer my P32 or something similar sized in the pocket. But I must admit that when dress dictates it and I can only carry one gun, it is the CM9 in the front pocket.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #13
CSG

I've owned a Glock 26 which was a great small 9mm but, for me, too big for pocket carry. I also bought a PM9 after finding some of the local LEO's were carrying them off duty. Mine had to go back to Kahr twice before it became 100% but, alas, it's still too big for pocket carry. While I sold the Glock (because I never carried it along with its big brother a G36 in .45) I've kept the PM9.

I know you said it's gotta be a 9mm but I've recently transitioned to the Ruger LCP .380 and carry Speer Gold Dot in it. IMO, it's more than enough and it's very easy to carry in a front pocket with any number of holsters. I just haven't found a 9mm I can do the same with.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
steponapoptop

Cm9 here as well. Hard to beat.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:46 PM   #15
arizona98tj

The smallest 9mm I have is the Kahr PM9 (CM9 is the same size) and as some have said, it is right at the limit of what I would consider a pocket pistol. I can comfortably carry it in a front pocket of 80% of my pants without a concern.

A pic of it with my Benchmade carry knife.

Old April 28, 2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

CM9 and PM9 get my vote here. My CM9 has never had a malfunction and was in my front pocket the majority of today in fact.

There's some size comparisons in my review below:

Plouffedaddy's CM9 Review
Old April 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #17
KyJim

I'll join in on the comments about the Kahr CM9. Good trigger which results in pretty good practical accuracy for a pistol its size. As others have said, it's on the line for being a pocket pistol. With most pants, it's not a problem but with a pair or two, I have to go with a smaller .380.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:55 AM   #18
kahrguy

I have a cm9 kahr that's been my primary cc for 3 years now. Makes a good pocket pistol and still controllable enough to trust with fast follow up shots.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:13 AM   #19
odugrad

What does anyone know about the Taurus 709 slim? Do you think this would be a good option. I'm looking for something inexpensive for my wife to carry. She currently carries a Beretta PX4 compact. It's a little big. Any other thoughts?
Old April 29, 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

While a little more expensive, the Boberg is getting good reviews and then there is always the Rohrbaugh - the smallest 9mm
Old April 29, 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
What does anyone know about the Taurus 709 slim? Do you think this would be a good option. I'm looking for something inexpensive for my wife to carry. She currently carries a Beretta PX4 compact. It's a little big. Any other thoughts?
I had one. Probably put 500 rounds through it with only 1 malfunction which was on the first magazine. Good gun all around but the trigger had a little spongy feeling to it.

Most women don't carry (I know, some do....) their guns on their person. How does she carry it?
Old April 30, 2013, 12:57 AM   #22
915A

Ill throw my .02 for the Sig 290rs. Have put 400+ rounds with the only issue being a faulty mag that Sig quickly replaced. Small, easy to aquire sights and fire, and smooth DAO trigger. If I had to give it a knock it would be for the takedown procedures. A little tough at first but once you get it down its a breeze.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:33 AM   #23
Cheapshooter

I'll agree with the KHAR CM9. Or If you want to spend more for the polygonal rifling, dove tail front sight, and an extra magazine you can go with the PM model.
I came upon mine quite by coincidence. But I am very happy with It. I had been planning on a Ruger LC9 because of my good experience with the LCP, but don't regret getting the smaller, striker fired KAHR.
The only thing I didn't like is the sights with the front white dot, rear white line. But a little white sight paint in the grooves on each side of the rear sight notch fixed that just fine.
My CM 9 is not always pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. Depending on the particular clothing It is also often carried in a Theis IWB hy-brid holster in complete comfort.
It has been 100% reliable through somewhere around 300 rounds of various FMJ, and HP ammo. Speer Good Dot 124 gr. +P Short Barrel being my final choice for carry.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 30, 2013, 09:03 AM   #24
vba

I'll just say CM9...most practical and affordable mini-nine. Well for me that is
Old April 30, 2013, 09:15 AM   #25
Roshi

PM9

I've carried a PM9 for several years and it has worked well for me. I have installed night sights and a laser and carry it in a Destantis Fly pocket holster