The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 10, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Green streak

Remington rolling block questions

Hi, I am looking for some info on a remington rolling block rifle. It has a heavy, 30" 1 1/4" round unfired replacement barrel in 45-70 with no markings on it what-so-ever. On the tang of the receiver there are a number of patent dates ending March 1873. On the left side of the tang with the stock removed is the #526. (on upper and lower tang) On the stock is an a 1" rectangular inlet carved about 3/8" deep with two screw holes that I am assuming must be a sling mount (military or civilian ?).The stock has a flat metal butt plate. The block itself concerns me. It has a notch in it which allows you to see the top of the shell casing with the block rolled forward in firing position. Having looked at the photos on the internet I have not seen an identical configuration. Any ideas as to the model # or approx year of manufacture.

Any info or opinions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance, Greg
Old February 10, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

A picture would help. Many rolling blocks were sold in the 1960's for a few dollars and some were used to build custom rifles, which seems to have been the case with yours. A custom rifle by definition may have features not seen on ordinary rifles of the same general type so the customer may have wanted a clear indication of a loaded chamber. Again, we would have to see some decent pictures of that feature and anything else unusual.

Jim
Old February 11, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

love the old single shots...

I have a couple rolling blocks one an original Remington #1 ( black powder ) rifle, that someone customized in the late 60's & rebarreled & chambered in 225 Winchester ( too high a pressure cartridge for the #1's action ) some of my parts were replaced with smokeless parts, at that time, but the reciever was still from a #1... my local builder / buddy thought the gun was really unsafe as it was, & since it had beautyful custom walnut stock & forend, & I could get it at a cheap price, I bought it, had it tuned, & rebarreled in 32-40

my other is a custom built on a navy arms action, chambered in 40-65...

if it's determined that your gun is a #1 ( which I would suspect, but can't confirm with the info available ) the gun "should" be safe for trapdoor loads, if it's in sond condition, but would not be safe & could easily self destruct with hotter 45-70 loads...

pics wold help alot...
Old February 14, 2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Green streak

pics

as requestedrolling block 001.jpg

rolling block 002.jpg

rolling block 003.jpg
Old February 14, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Green streak

pics

hope these help as well
rolling block 005.jpg