The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2008, 02:13 AM   #1
mackillan

Reloading Bibles

Can anyone inform me as to what good reloading books would be useful?
Old November 5, 2008, 02:20 AM   #2
olddrum1

Reloading

I do not know if this is any help but I frequent this site for recipes.
http://www.hodgdon.com/
Old November 5, 2008, 02:27 AM   #3
olddrum1

They have their 2008 manual out also.
Old November 5, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4
kametc

I think the Speer #14 reloading manual is out.

This is old and maybe out of print but, "Handbook for shooting and reloading" by Parker Ackley.

The Hodgdon book, Sierra book, Nosler book, Hornady book etc...

Ken
Old November 5, 2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Swampghost

I thought that you were asking how to carve one out to accept your .25 auto.
Old November 5, 2008, 04:38 AM   #6
tkofoid

I use a sierra manual for most info,,,,but they are very conservative. I then compare to other manuals or pet loads on-line to draw my conclusions.
From there laod em up,and watch for pressure signs. I do not use a chrony,but I beleive the chrony can tell you more than anything else, but of course a manual is a must , and also interesting to study during the course of our long cold winters sitting in the recliner. Seriously tho, it is amasing how different manuals can vary so much! I think too many lawyers study those manuals!
Old November 5, 2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Khaot1c

..."Seriously tho, it is amasing how different manuals can vary so much! I think too many lawyers study those manuals!"

QFT -
I've bought the "complete relaoding guide" from cabelas for my .40 and 9mm. They have a farily extensive list of loads organized by bullet manufacture and powder manufacturer.
From what i've seen (even though Sierra says they do not publish 'conservative' data) Sierra does seem to list their loads a little on the light side. That being said, I started with a Sierra book and followed their loads to the letter for my first few batches of 115 FMJ 9mm loads. Though I didnt' use a Seirra FMJ, I used a Hornaday. It cycled my gun (Beretta 92FS) can't comment on groups because i'm just getting back into the hobby.....

All in all, I just follow the "staring load" rule which I feel makes it about as risk-free as driving to work........
Old November 5, 2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Loader9

Useful in what regard? If you're looking for data only, the Lee manual is far cheaper and has most of the same data from the other manuals. Don't over look the internet either. Most of the powder makers have data online and some of the bullet makers as well. If you are looking for reloading tips and how to's, the Lyman manual is hard to beat and they also have recommended hunting and accuracy loads.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:42 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

Reloading manuals have several topics of information, and different manuals cover these topics in different degrees and perspectives.

The core topic is the data tables. If the publisher sells bullets (Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Hornady, LaserCast) or powder (Hodgdon/Winchester, Accurate, VV, etc.) then their tables will focus more on those products. Lyman sells lots of bullet casting equipment, so their manual is one of the few that has lots of data for cast bullet loads. If you buy mostly one brand of bullets or powder then you probably want their manual.

Another topic is the reloading process and use of equipment. Some manuals, such as ABCs of Reloading are more generic and independent of any one equipment manufacturer. But if you use certain brand of press, dies, measures, etc then you might want to get the manual published by that manufacturer (Speer=RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Lyman).

Cartridge history, applications, and special reloading tips is a topic some manuals like those from bullet manufacturers cover well, and other manuals like Lee and Accurate do not have.

Finally, some manuals (usually by bullet makers) include external ballistic charts.

I recommend you get the manuals from the manufacturer of the bullet, powder, and equipment that you use most often. Then buy new versions every 5-10 years. And of course, supplement with online tabular data such as from www.hodgdon.com. I have one or more editions each of Lyman, Speer, Nosler, Lee, Accurate, and Hodgdon.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:49 PM   #10
wncchester

"Can anyone inform me as to what good reloading books would be useful?"

Mac, we need to know where you're coming from. Are you just looking, already loading a little, or experienced and looking for more advanced info?
Old November 5, 2008, 02:09 PM   #11
ryalred

If you don't have any reloading manuals, I'd suggest getting the Lee manual and reading completely through the section on reloading (not the data section). It gives good fundamental information about reloading. Just overlook all the promo about Lee products. (Not knocking Lee products, I use a lot of them, but just saying there are good selections of products out there--Lee's not the only ones).

If your looking simply for load data, the Lee manual is adequate and less expensive as well. If your willing to spend a little more money the Sierra manual is good, too.

As others have said, we need to know more specifically what information you are looking for.
reloading -- addicted
Old November 12, 2008, 07:52 AM   #12
mackillan

I am not able to locate the Lyman's 49th or the new nosler manuals. I have the abcs, speer and the powder manuals but I cannot locate those 2 for purchase. Amazon.com has barred them for export. I will be loading three
7mm rem mag, 7mm wby mag, .204 ruger, and 257 wby mag.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:08 AM   #13
darkgael

Manuals

"I am not able to locate the Lyman's 49th or the new nosler manuals."

Have you tried www.Midwayusa.com ?
Old November 12, 2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Smaug

The book I consider my reloading bible is the Lyman one. The others, I could find the data online. It isn't quite as handy as having a book, but it is always up-to-date.

I have the Lee manual too. Had the Speer manual, and miss it.

Manuals with rifle data only are not worth the money to me.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 12, 2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Sam06

Here is what I have

I get a loadbook for each cartridge I load for(you can order them from Midway). I have the Serria and Hornady books along with the Lyman cast bullet loading book. I also look on SOME internet sites like the Castbullet site for loads but I approach all internet loads with CAUTION!!!!!!!! The load books are nice because they compile all the loads from diff. powder and bullet makers on that one cartridge. They have a good book on T/C for Single Shot Pistols also.

PO Ackley's books are good reading but be aware the loads are old! You have to realize he was doing reloading in the 30's. PO was one smart dude. The Lee reloading book is a good read along with Ken Waters pet loads. Phil Sharp's loading book is very good too but it is old data.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:56 AM   #16
kraigwy

I've found Lvman makes about the best complete manuel but I'm not a big fan of THE ONE MANUEL CONSEPT. I like Sierra also.

Don't sell short the older manuels by our fore fathers in the shooting game. The best, without a doubt, manuel I've run across is the COMPLETE GUIDETO HANDLADING by Col Philip B. Sharpe. Another one was HANDLOADING AMMUNITION by J.R. Mattern, or anything by Col. T. Whelen. P.O. Ackley was another one.

Yes most of these older icons are out dated regarding the modern powders and components, but they knew what they were doing. Their manuels are more tech. orienated also. They cover the loading for differant situations that the modern manuels dont cover, like gallery shooting with your hunting rifle. Reduce and sub-sonic loads. They cover the old army means of shooting sevice rifles with reduced loads to allow more shooting in economics both in loading itself and ranges.

Or Howell's MODERN GUNSMITH, where he instructs us on making our own reloading dies and bullet molds. It gives us an ideal what goes into dies and molds and why.

They did testing not possible in todays PC world (Look at Ackleys shooting of donkeys to get the ideal of what happens when an animal is shot, as apposed to shooting gelliton and wet phone books.

We can learn a lot from these icons of yesterday.

Not saying these older books are a replacement for the modern guides but are a supplement to them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 13, 2008, 02:59 AM   #17
preventec47

mackillan quoted:
I will be loading 7mm rem mag, 7mm wby mag, .204 ruger, and 257 wby mag.

///////////////////////////////
I reload for 7mm Rem mag and all my reload data has come from the internet.
I have printed load tables from at least five internet websites consisting
of bullet mfgs and powder mfgs. You dont need to buy any manuals.
( at least for load recipes ) I also have found on the internet
some older manuals that have been scanned and placed on websites
for downloading. These are good for comparison and I like to study
the various powders and how they increment between starting
and max loads concerning velocities and pressures etc.
I am using Rel-22 powder but Nosler website has data for REL-19 with slightly higher performance on their max load. I am shooting 120gr Nosler Ballisitic Tip and Sierra Pro Hunters.
There are many other powders that can be used but I feel some
recent modern powders can give us several hundred extra FPS
at same pressures of old timey powders. In most guns I dont
care that much to shoot at max loads but in my magnums I
want all the trajectory benefits I can get.

Last edited by preventec47; November 13, 2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:46 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Where, up here, are you? The Lyman manual runs about $50 plus tax. Your local gun shop or Amazon.ca. Forget Midway. They won't/can't ship to Canada.
Come by http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/
Old November 13, 2008, 03:50 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
From what i've seen (even though Sierra says they do not publish 'conservative' data) Sierra does seem to list their loads a little on the light side.
I used to complain about this as well. (Which is the reason I never bought their manual.) However, I've been working a bit more with Sierra bullets lately. I have found that the copper jacket alloy they use is a bit harder than most similar bullets, and Sierra typically has a larger bearing surface than competitors. Add that all up, and it means higher pressures for the same given powder charge. So, Sierra probably isn't lying when they say they don't publish conservative data. (If you want to see conservative data, compare the last 3-4 Hornady books, and the decreasing powder charges.)

Yet again, learning this about Sierra just reinforces the need for multiple data sources.

My personal library consists of:
Nosler #6
Hornady #7
Speer #14
Hodgdon 2008
P.O. Ackley's Handbook, Vol. 1
..and frequent visits to the Hodgdon reloading database.
(Available in my family; is more data from 10-15 older books dating back to the 1950s)

As far as load data....
I think the best resource available is the Hodgdon manual. (It's cheap, so buy an updated copy every year.)
I rarelly start looking for data in the Hodgdon book, but it is always the last 'check' or verification before proceding with a powder charge.
It allows you to compare many bullets from different manufacturers side by side, so you can see the difference without juggling books.

As stated:
Quote:
I recommend you get the manuals from the manufacturer of the bullet, powder, and equipment that you use most often.
You should always try to have data from the bullet company and powder company. Every bullet design is different. Every manufacturer uses different materials. Never assume anything is interchangeable.

And don't get too wrapped up in the Hodgdon website. It is a great resource, but also leaves out the ever-important 'notes' that new reloaders may need. The website doesn't show you which powders should have a magnum primer; which powders should never be reduced below XX.X grains in a specific cartridge; or why they stopped testing a particular powder at 20% below max pressure, even though it is not listed as a reduced or compressed load. The 'notes' can make or break you, when you're new to reloading.

As for reloading manuals to help you learn the process...
The Lee book is fairly cheap and easilly obtained. I just don't own one since I can't get past his superiority complex; and can't find actual reloading data in the mess of auto-disc, double-disc, and powder dipper numbers.

Oh, and watch out for the "Load Books USA" load books. Some of them have data that is 10+ years old, even though there is updated information available.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:53 PM   #20
Smaug

I believe the Hodgdon manual has the disclaimer for Win 296 and H110 in the beginning, rather than with the data.

This is where it is with my couple year old Hodgdon/Lee manual has it.

I agree that it should be with the data.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 13, 2008, 10:08 PM   #21
mackillan

I have oredered a few of these as suggested but I also need to take a course. Can anyone inform me if the NRA will alow non usa citizens sign up for their course on reloading?