The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 23, 2013, 07:04 AM   #26
Qtiphky

In interviewing for an LE/security type job, I would think that that question would be totally relevant. If you carrying a concealed weapon has no bearing on your ability to successfully do the job, it gets real gray real fast and may not be a legal question. You could probably still ask it, but the candidate doesn't need to answer it and you can't make your hiring decision based on questions that have no bearing on the job. Like-you can't ask if the person has a car. But-you can ask if they can come to work regularly and arrive on time for scheduled shifts. However, whether a person has a carry permit, probably doesn't have much to do with many jobs.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:31 PM   #27
ClydeFrog

Police jobs; tobacco...

When I left active duty in the early 1990s, I considered applying to the city PD where I lived but decided not to because they started a "no tobacco on or off duty" clause.
I considered it a unfair labor practice. What you do off the job or on your own time should not have any bearing on your employment if its not unethical or illegal.
In the 2010s, the "no tobacco" SOP is more common with US employers which I understand but I still view it as a unfair labor practice.

Clyde