The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 25, 2009, 12:36 AM   #1
deadwooddickey

looking for a 30 40 krag

i am looking for a 30 40 krag in original configuration or nearly so.it seems like these rifles have really gone up in price compared to 10 or 15 years ago but i guess everything has.i dont have a lot to spend but then again the rifle im looking for doesnt have to be perfect just servicable. i would shoot it once in awhile but it would mainly be a conversation piece.
Old February 25, 2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Swampghost

I'm really not sure about mine. Might be a carbine, might be sporterized. Got it from my Dad and never researched it. I do know that he added the Redfield peep and I had it Teflon'd back in the '60's. Dad may be responsible for the woodwork as the color and finish resemble a '50's ChrisCraft.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 25, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
taylorce1

SG, nice Krag! Looks like the front sight was changed out as well. I have one not in original configuration, don't think it was a carbine but it is a full stocked rifle now that is a little shorter than the carbine. Even if they are not original they are still fun conversation pieces.

Old February 25, 2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwooddickey
i am looking for a 30 40 krag in original configuration or nearly so.it seems like these rifles have really gone up in price compared to 10 or 15 years ago but i guess everything has.i dont have a lot to spend but then again the rifle im looking for doesnt have to be perfect just servicable.
A lot of rifles were cut down into carbine configuration and sold through the NRA. They are easily identifiable because they have the front sight mounted on a band around the muzzle, and usually have Buffington sights.

An "NRA carbine" in mediocre condition will bring ~$400ish, and even bubba-ized sporters seem to be bringing three bills and more these days, depending on the quality of the work. For an all-original rifle in presentable condition, plan on spending at least $800, and possibly a lot more.
Old February 27, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Since the last US Krag was made in 1904 or so they are a little scarce.
I would check GunsAmerica and the other websites, try http://www.sarcoinc.com/
Also I would post WTB ads on the various boards, there are other collector-dealers I am anot familiar
with, I'm sure other board members can help you there.

Last edited by SIGSHR; February 27, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old February 27, 2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR
Since the last US Krag was made in 1904 or so they are a little scarce.
Scarce? Heck, there's one within arm's reach of this desk, and another in the attic.

They're all over the place!
Old February 27, 2009, 09:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Several years ago, I decided I wanted a good Krag and spent some time seeking one out. Once I got a good one, it rained Krags, each one progressively nicer, including two genuine carbines.

But there is a lot of fakery, and there are far more carbines today than Springfield ever made. Also, there are a lot more of those "NRA carbines" than were ever made, so a claim means nothing unless accompanied by the right papers (and even those have been forged).

I urge anyone thinking of collecting Krags (or trapdoors) to get good books and learn as much about them as possible, as well as look at as many as possible. Don't get fixated on one point. I remember at a gun show a year or so ago, hearing two guys discussing a Krag "carbine" and deciding it was genuine because it had a "C" on the sight. Not only was the "C" in the wrong place on the rifle sight, the buttstock had a sling swivel, the foreend had a pin to hold the rifle band, the front sight was from a M1903, and the barrel had been cut off crooked with a hacksaw. Yet those guys pronounced the gun "genuine" and worth $1200 because the faker had put a "C" on the sight!

Jim
Old February 27, 2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keenan
Also, there are a lot more of those "NRA carbines" than were ever made, so a claim means nothing unless accompanied by the right papers (and even those have been forged).
Tell me about it. It was a bit of a shock to me when those faux carbines started becoming valuable enough to forge.

Mine has been nicely restored except for... (are you ready for this?) ...the Buffington sight was affixed to the barrel backwards and the replacement handguard had been cut to fit. *facepalm*

(I've decided that a carbine had better have some pretty unshakable provenance before I'll cross the five bill threshold, otherwise it's just bubba-ized as far as I'm concerned.)
Old March 2, 2009, 09:01 AM   #9
irishguy

Krag

PM sent with photos of Krag for sale.