The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 18, 2013, 09:10 PM   #101
Bill DeShivs

If its a garbage bag!
Old March 20, 2013, 08:06 AM   #102
Skans

Glock 17. One, maybe 2 19 round magazines (+2). I say this because it is the gun I routinely throw into my duffel bag when I have to drive long distances. In effect, it is my bug-out-bag.

Someone else mentioned carrying something "discrete" for hurricane/tornado shelters. After watching clips of the Mega Hurricane Shelter in New Orleans, i.e. Pooper-Dome, I would have to be long dead and floating down a flooded street toward a shelter before I'd step foot in one. Having Hurricane Charlie and friends pass right over me was enough. Now my plan is to simply leave and head for the mountains - I'm all set up for this, and a Glock 17 with one full magazine will suffice.

Last edited by Skans; March 20, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #103
wstein

I am thinking about getting a glock22, the simple reason is the I have a keltec sub2k that takes the g22 mags, so I can pack both and have a good number of mags to share.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old March 20, 2013, 04:08 PM   #104
Jager78

I have a Maxpedition Vulture II in OD Green with a MOLLE OD Green water pouch, a MOLLE OD Green Rifle/Shotgun scabberd, and a OD Green Waist/Butt pack all attached. Then I have a charcoal color rain cover that covers it all when I have my Ruger Mini-30 ATI stock folded down.

I do have a double pistol and double rifle magazine MOLLE OD Green pouch attached to the belt portion of the bag.

Basically I would have my IWI Baby Eagle II .40S&W Polymer as my BOB handgun.

However I am thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm for my wife and that would be her BOB handgun along with her Ruger 10/22 rifle.

I think the most important things to have in your BOB is a quality water filter, a little food, firekit, first aid/trauma kit, socks, thermal tarp with gromets that is earth tone color on one side, paracord 550, and a good quality fixed blade.

Besides the BOB good quality footwear is very important.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:23 PM   #105
Spats McGee
Staff

Remember: this thread has been allowed to survive this long because it's about the bug out bag pistol. If it turns into a general discussion about BOBs, it will no longer be firearms-related, and will be treated accordingly.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:12 PM   #106
Jager78

And that is why I didn't list everything I have in my bag as some here in this thread have. I understand the rules of TFL and understand your concern sir.

I underlined what my BOB gun is for those that just want to know that piece of info.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #107
Super Sneaky Steve

An accurate .22 will put more food on the table than anything else. Combine that fact with the ease of carrying a 50 round brick in your front pocket, or thousands of rounds in a backpack without breaking your back and the choice is quite clear.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:36 AM   #108
Justice06RR

As long as we are staying on track, I guess I'll chime in.

This will sound ridiculous, but my bug-out bag pistol/gun is a Draco AK pistol

A little overkill.. kinda. My other option is a Glock19 with a 33rd mag and a couple of 15rd spares if I wanted more room and less weight to carry. But for now the Draco Pistol is what I currently pack in the B.O.B.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:17 AM   #109
iraiam

Taurus PT92 and a few 15 round magazines. It's in a holster so i can carry it properly if the need arises.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 21, 2013, 09:33 PM   #110
biohazurd

I have a glock 17 gen 3 with 4 mags. 3 17 rounders and a 33. And a box of loose 147 grainers. And a Ruger single six with both cylinders and probably close to 700 rounds of .22 and i believe 200 rounds of .22 mag. Glock for defence against humans, the .22 is for bagging game for food if needed.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:36 PM   #111
bbqbob51

I have a Maxpedition Versipack set up with their Universal CCW holster inside that will hold my 9mm Stoeger Cougar. In the Versipack I have 2 spare magazines, a box of Hornady 9mm HP and 38spl HP. Also in the pack is an Otis gun cleaning kit along with miscellaneous emergency supplies.
I also plan on bringing along my S&W 686+ in a holster on my hip and my Ruger LCR in a pocket. I'll also grab my Ruger Single Six (Gotta have a 22lr handgun!) and throw that in my Maxpedition backpack. I would toss a brick of Federal 22lr in the backpack along with extra .357mag, 38spl and 9mm ammo.
Now what kind of long guns will I bring....
Old March 22, 2013, 04:37 PM   #112
-Xero-

These sorts of threads always amuse me, right along with the whole SHTF genre and mindset.

Here's some insight for you, from a First Responder who has coordinated with emergency resources, law enforcement, National Guard, Coast Guard, Army, Air Force for local contingency plans -- Our first mission contingency plans are for tsunami. But we're geared up and coordinated for natural disaster, civil unrest, etc.

Way up on the list of priorities is a contingent management plan for the "bug out commandos." This doesn't mean that being prepared is not a good idea. It's a good idea. But the notion that you're going to hop in your 4WD truck, head out into the woods and set up an armed perimeter is just simply not going to fly. Google "Martial Law" and "State of Emergency."

I've given my personal contingency plan some thought. Best option for me is to stay at home. I'm 10 miles out of town, up on a ridge where I'm out of the line of fire from a tsunami. 4WD truck, tractor, chainsaw, generator, water purification, fuel, and the full resources of a house, barn, significant arsenal, and defensible property.

I listen to Glenn Beck on the radio, and TV. He'd have us believe that Armageddon is just around the corner, and we should all be prepared to become Survivalists.

KnivesLiveTV (Smokey Mt. Knife Works, Kentucky) sells "bug out bags" along w/ Zombie defense tools, and survival gear.

Heading into the woods and setting up a perimeter is not going to be an option. That said, it doesn't hurt to have an emergency preparedness kit. It's just important -- perhaps life-saving crucial -- to keep things in realistic perspective. You don't want to become a target on the government radar.

Last edited by -Xero-; March 22, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:59 PM   #113
Spats McGee
Staff

This seems like the right time to bid this one farewell.