The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 15, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1
chris in va

Saiga hiccup?

Put about 100 rounds through the x39 Saiga today. A few times I went to pull the trigger and...nothing. No click or anything. It actually felt like the trigger didn't reset somehow, and I had to pull back the bolt halfway to be sure it had a live round in the chamber, which it did. BTW this isn't a dented primer issue, something to do with the trigger mechanism.

Ideas?
Old September 16, 2007, 08:56 AM   #2
keebo52

Disconnector problem

When this happens, is the hammer in the cocked position? If not, it's sounds like a problem with the disconnector. If that's not working properly, the hammer will not remain cocked as the old round is ejected and a new round chambered. The hammer follows the bolt as it closes after the shot. The disconnector holds the hammer in the cocked position until the trigger is released and the sear is engaged. Any AK expert or competent gunsmith can easily fix the problem.
Old September 16, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
chris in va

I believe it was cocked, yes. I didn't have to rack the bolt back again and eject a live round. It just felt like the trigger didn't reset the sear like you mentioned.

I'll give it a couple more range outings, hopefully it was just a teething issue. We don't really have any gunsmiths around here and I'm not sure Gander Mountain would work on a Saiga anyway.
Old September 17, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
MD_Willington

What configuration is your Saiga, stock or did you put a new trigger group in it?
Old September 18, 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
chris in va

No, it's brand new and nothing done to it.
Old September 19, 2007, 01:11 AM   #6
MD_Willington

contact RAA, get them to fix it... weird, mine has never had any problems...
Old September 19, 2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Willie D

My best guess to what you are describing is that the disconnector somehow got stuck and didn't let go of the hammer. If it keeps happening I'd be worried but it might just need breaking in. Cycle and dry fire it a bit with the dust cover off and see if everything looks like it's doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Try dry firing then cycle the bolt with the trigger still pulled and see if you can get the hammer to hang on the disconnector.