The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which has more felt recoil?
2 3/4 slugs 65 97.01%
2 3/4 #7 Bird shot 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26, 2009, 06:13 AM   #26
Dingoboyx

Now, on a more serious note,

I have a .662 smoothebore, P. cap muzzle loader. I have shot the thing with the same charge of black (75gr) and launched 16.8mm solid ball & also the same weight in shot (with some cloth balled up between the powder and the shot, to act as a wad). The ball gives a heck of a kick, the shot way less.

My unqualified guess would be (and I voted for slugs) the solid mass of the ball, seals better in the barrel so gets pushed by the full force of the charge with little blow by giving you a sore arm.... the shot, on the other hand, is not a solid mass, more like a fluid mass (I guess) with more blow by around the hot (resulting in not quite as sore arm). I dont know how this compares to shot gun shells, but every time I have shot slugs, it felt like more of a kick?

Muzza
Old March 26, 2009, 07:42 AM   #27
oneounceload

Here's a chart showing shot size and pellet count:

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

If the birdshot load and the slug load weigh the same and are traveling the same speed, the recoil is the same......

If one of the variables changes, so do the results......
Old March 26, 2009, 06:41 PM   #28
Nnobby45

Quote:
a 1 ounce slug load and a 3 3/4 - 1 1/4 - X shot load have about the same recoil. A 3 3/4 - 1 1/2 - X load of shot will have considerably more recoil than the slug. Shot size makes no difference at all.

DC
I realize there are different brands of birdshot and slugs, but no 12 ga. load, including short magnum, ever thumped the crap out of me like a Federal Classic 1oz. slug. Even the Federal 3" 1 3/8 oz. wasn't that much worse.

On the other hand, Brenneke 1oz. Rottweiler wasn't bad, and is less than some heavy birdshot field loads.

From 18" Scattergun Tech: Pro Digital Chronograph

1 oz. Classic 1495 fps

1 oz Rottweil Brenneke 1375fps

1 1/8 Rottweil " 1343

Ranger LE 1236

Fed Tac LE 1232

Federal TruBall slugs can be bought in standard or low recoil versions, with the low recoil about 1300 fps if I recall. Recoil is directly related to velocity.