The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 1999, 06:50 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

In CAS we all go by cowboy alias. What's yours and how come? Oh, mine...that's easy NED ROUNDTREE, the alias of Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) in Clint Eastwood's UNFORGIVEN. When captured by the posse Ned gives his real first name and a partial of his woman's, Sally Two Trees. Hence, Ned Roundtree, alias of a fictional assassin. Love that movie!!
Old December 16, 1999, 05:24 AM   #2
Hal

Is there a rule concerning names? Do they have to be real characters, either screen real or historicly real? Agree, good movie. Course any movie with "Uncle" Clint is good.
Old December 16, 1999, 07:45 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

That is the great part about your alias. It what you want to make it. Unless another person has it. If you go SASS, your name is logged in as yours only. Of course I have been to matches with cowboys that aren't SASS. So sometimes there is duplication of names. Once we went up to Ohio and ran into two "Driftwood"s. But our cowboy had the SASS registered name, so the other two had to change their name for the match. Shot a match with "Los Alamos Bill". Yeah, he use to work there, so that's how he picked his name.Know a cowgirl by the name of "38s Too".
Old December 16, 1999, 08:46 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I usually go by either Missouri or Cart Ridge myself.
Old December 16, 1999, 07:23 PM   #5
Trigger Jerk

Shadow Grande...because I cast a big shadow.
Old December 21, 1999, 07:34 PM   #6
colt 3840

Derringer Dick here!
Old December 21, 1999, 11:50 PM   #7
Ned Roundtree

DD, I'm going to refrain from any comments.
Old December 22, 1999, 01:27 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

though I've never shot cowboy formally in an sass match ( I will soon) i've always been fond of "Doctor Rob", "Patch" (its a blackpowder thing) or "Col. Mortimer" (a lee van cleef character) or "the preacher"

As the Doc/colonel/preacher you can wear black and wear tall boots or carry a black back/saddle rig full of firearms...

sound like fun?

I've always wondered about shooting cowboy... I have eough black powder toys to shoot "primitive" but haven't gotten around to buying a pistol caliber lever gun.

Can you shoot highpower (30-30) in cowboy matches?? Or is it "buffalo guns" only??

I'm not sure I understand the rules completely.. can you start with JUST a pistol?? ie my shiny vaquero 44 with 44 specials down loaded to make cowboy-legal??

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old December 22, 1999, 01:53 PM   #9
Ned Roundtree

30-30 is for cowboy long range side matches only. All lead bullet. Main match lever action rifles are in pistol caliber only. .44 mag/sp, 45LC, 32.20, 38/357,44-40, 38-40. Pistol and rifle targets are shot at close range with cowboy loads. Pistol at 7-15 yards, rifle at 20-50 yards. 30-30 caliber would ruin the main match metal targets.
Old December 23, 1999, 08:45 AM   #10
Old Jules

Dr.Rob,
SASS matches are use 4 guns. Two pistols,lever action pistol cal. rifle and double barrel shotgun or '97 pump shotgun. You should go to a local SASS match and watch. Talk to some of the cowbys and I'm sure you will find some who will let you try out thier guns. Most clubs can get you fixed up with loaner guns to shoot a match.You might want to go to SASSNET.com and check it out.
Old Jules
SASS 16561

------------------
Old December 25, 1999, 06:19 PM   #11
Judge Blackhawk

Judge Blackhawk.... simply because I am an attorney and former judge (resigned to become a prosecutor) and I shoot exclusively Blackhawks. Vaqueros are nice but I dont care for the shiney finish. Yea I am strange. Wife says that all the time. Reminds me of them nickel plated saturday nite specials. If Mr. Bill Ruger would only make the Vaqueros with the new SUPER REDHARK finish I would own at LEAST 4 of them by now. I just love that new Super Redhawk finish, it is the same dull finish on my Ruger target rifles in stainles.

Well, I have to get.... the cold turkey is calling my name... and that egg-nog is cold and creamy.

Merry Christmas... Happy New Years.
May God in his wisdom grant each of you peace and prosperity in the coming year and may all your shots be true and your horses fast.

Sincerely,

Judge Blackhawk