The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2014, 01:32 AM   #1
MWDG3

Howa long action DBM issues

I'm really disappointed with both CDI and PTG long DBM's for the Howa. A couple of years ago I had the nub on the back of the magwell removed in anticipation of fitting the AICS 338 mags. A 'smith here talked me out of that monstrosity so I settled on 338 WM. I had no idea these systems would be design to work with an unmodified action. CDI is worse with the magazine sitting well under the receiver feed ramp. I thought the PTG DBM would sit the mag back further since their lever isn't as low profile and sits farther aft. Also my PTG short DBM is perfect. Seems all they did was set the lever closer to the trigger.

It's a shame too as my action has oodles of room at the back unused. I'll have to use the factory magazine for decent OAL loads and reliable feeding. 30-06 length cases should work better. Just don't know what the big deal is lopping off the nub on the back of the action magwell. Customers should find that easier than modifying their stock!

This is my action with a 338 Lapua before I chickened out in favor of the 338 Winmag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BydFytC4J8Q

This dude cut into his feed ramp, which is the smaller of the two receiver lugs for a 338 NORMA! Why go this direction??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJj2C5fxXM

Modification isn't avoidable. Current designs restrict performance for no reason.