The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 30, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1
mav88

local news story...

Lawton_Police say a man was carjacked, kidnapped and robbed in South Lawton Wednesday evening and forced to withdraw money from an ATM.

LPD says the man, who is not from Lawton, was driving at Southwest 9th and Garfield when a man got him to stop. That's when, police say, another man pulled a gun, got into the back seat, and forced the man to drive to an ATM to withdraw money.

Police say he was then forced to drive to another neighborhood. And that's when the suspect jumped out of the car. The driver is okay.

Detectives are on the case pursing leads but so far, no arrests have been made. They are looking for ablack male in his 20's about 5 feet, 10 inches tall.

what would you guys have done in this real life situation? just curious

For me, if the guy with the gun was aiming at me outside of the car, i would have stepped on the gas peddle and be gone lol. but..if someone amazingly opened my car door lock and jumped in the back with a gun at my head..i guess i got no other choice but to listen.oh well i feel sorry for the victim today...
Old October 30, 2008, 02:04 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
first, never stop for people who you do not know and certainly not as it's getting dark or is dark. Secondly I would have tossed my wallet out the window and had them chase it down. Then canceled my credit card (I only have one) and let them keep the odd 13 or so dollars in the flat thing (they can have the moth too). Once that guy got in the back seat he had all the tactical advantage and even Chuck Norris couldn't have done anything about it.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Bud Helms

Self defense scenarios are usually posted in Tactics & Training.

Moving now.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Hemicuda

my first instinct would be to walk the car up to about a buck-twenty... then sugguest that shooting me would result in the death of both of us... THEN sugguest that they give me the gun...

if they comply, then I sugguest that they get out of the speeding car, because they have ALOT better chance of living through that, then they do with a buncha holes COM...

but in your scenario, the BG is in the backseat... so, pull my gun and shoot first... and often... then when it is all over, I'll call 911, then my lawyers, then an upholsterer...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
teeroux

I would have keyed in my pin number backward.

Seriously don't try that it doesn't work.

The sad part is and officer forwarded me that bs internet legend.

I supposse you could try to cowboy(bail)out and let the car roll in to a divider or ditch while you high tail it.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:04 AM   #6
KLRANGL

The movie Heavy Metal comes to mind
you know what im talkin about, with Harry Canyon the Taxi driver...

As awesome as it would be to save the day, if someone is in your backseat with a gun, your options for defense are pretty much nill...
Old October 30, 2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Gbro

Your best advantage could/would be when the thug was off balance getting into your car. Dump him and keep going!
Old October 30, 2008, 06:48 PM   #8
kpbeckel

I agree with WeedWhacker, just don't stop in the first place. In the instance they did get in the car, I'd look out for my own well-being and then worry about the lost money.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Sigma 40 Blaster

First I have a truck that automagically locks after a number of seconds IF I forget to lock them when I get in. I keep my window cracked but never rolled all the way down when I'm stopped. I don't stop for people I don't know.

If by some miracle I did the opposite of my "norm" and that happened to me I would try to ease the .45 that stays under my left leg up and around and shoot through the seat while trying to move out of the line of fire because I think I'm already dead if someone's in my backseat with a gun on me.

Not sure how to react if loved ones are in the car with me...I'll have to think on that one.
Old November 5, 2008, 04:56 PM   #10
JAYBIRD78

I would say "panic" and floor it, then come to realize you care for the feelings and well being of the BG and back up.....only to "forget" where he/she is and roll em. Sweet....sweet justice.

I actually had someone attack my wife's car with her/me in it and I almost did run them over, however the BG was her dumb half brother and I decided not to at the last second. We did have a nice go around after I got out of the car.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:08 PM   #11
David Armstrong

That far behind the curve might as well play the odds and go along with the BG. That maximizes your chances of coming out with minimal loss.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:29 PM   #12
Bob F.

Where the hell's Lawton?
Old November 7, 2008, 01:33 PM   #13
David Armstrong

Lawton is in SW Oklahoma, and is the primary city near Ft. Sill, home of the Field Artillery. Go cannon-cockers!
Old November 12, 2008, 01:18 PM   #14
johnnypi45

"even Chuck Norris couldn't have done anything about it"

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petey
Old November 12, 2008, 04:01 PM   #15
JackL

I wonder if the BG had his seat belt fastened. If he didn't, then that could have given the driver an option or two.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:37 PM   #16
maxkimber

I really hate to admit this, but this is why I am not a Good Samaritan. I drive right by people in need. My though process is, who is in the car, who is hiding in the woods, how many are there, my family needs me more then they need a new tire, etc. Am I being selfish? A few have ruined it for everybody. I will not risk my life (my family's well-being) help someone.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:44 PM   #17
akr

Very smart. Being a hero at anything doesn't pay.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old November 12, 2008, 05:28 PM   #18
Creature

Quote:
I really hate to admit this, but this is why I am not a Good Samaritan. I drive right by people in need.
God forbid but one day you....or your FAMILY...might be the one/s on the side of the road in dire need of a helping hand.