The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Saxtonram

Dan Wesson 357 Supermag: Heavy or Slotted Barrel

Hello

I have a man crush on getting a Dan Wesson Supermag.

Two purchase options, both stainless 357 Maximum.

One comes with a 6" vented heavy barrel (like this http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps356d40cb.jpg).

The other comes with an 8" vented and slotted barrel (like this http://www.rockislandauction.com/pho...1A-H-F2B-H.jpg).

Any recommendations and thoughts between the two options? Would one be intrinsically more accurate and reliable?

Thanks
Old March 10, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Venom1956

get the cheaper gun? hunt down the barrel you don't have.DW barrels interchange its easy, your welcome and your bill is in the mail.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; March 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add humor
Old March 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Saxtonram

Excellent point, but supermag stainless barrels do not seem too common - and are pricey even by themselves.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Venom1956

Ok So u did know they detached. YOUr original post made it seem u could only have one.

I'd get the vent personally because its more unique. I think full lug 6" would be easier to find at a later date.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 10, 2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

If you are going to get a supermag, get the 8". Mine is a solid barrel and I love to shoot hot loads in it.

I am a big fan:

Old March 10, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
kahrguy

double post
Old March 10, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
kahrguy

Of those two buy the 8" barreled verison is price is the same then buy a solid barrel from EWKarms so you don't have vent cleaning to deal with . recoil is very mild even with the hottest of loads. Ether way you can get a non vented barrel for 59 bucks for the 6" and have ewk arms make you a longer barrel for hunting or LR matchs.
http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.ph...products_id=31
Old March 10, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
saleen322

Super Mag

I have had an 8 inch blue, slotted version for over 25 years. The only reason DW offered the slotted barrel shroud version was to make it under the production revolver weight limit for IHMSA. They are very accurate but stick to bullets at least 180 grains for the hotter loads and I actually preferred the 200s. I won a lot of matches with this revolver and I would not part with it. Good luck to you.

Old March 10, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Sevens

I've been paying attention to EKW for a bit over a year and either the barrels sell as quickly as ammo at Wal-Mart when offered...
...or they haven't listed a barrel for sale on that site in over a year.

I wonder which?
Old March 11, 2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

one thing about the slotted barrel shrouds, is they allow the barrel to cool more / faster... mine has a solid shroud, & I've never had issues, but I don't shoot it "fast, & alot"... the weight savings are marginal, but the vented shrouds do look cool
Old March 11, 2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

Why do you think you need a .357 Supermag? Me personally, if I thought I needed more power than a .357mag, I'd get, and I got a 44mag. I was even thinking about (at one time) buying a new DW Alaskan 445 super (44 super mag), for about $1200 new quite a while back. I snoozed on that one, darn it!

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; March 11, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

357 max is flatter shooting than a 44 mag... FIL shot a deer at 150 yards with the 6" Dan Wesson I currently have ( wearing a 4X Luepold )... a longer shot than I would have been comfortable with, but he toppled it pretty easily at that distance, & the cartridge did a fine job at that distance as well...
Old March 11, 2013, 11:12 AM   #13
kahrguy

sevens EWK is a hobby budiness and he does mainly only fill orders with few just just hang'n around in stock . Contact EWK and and inquirer about what you have an interest in and you will then know whats up.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
Why do you think you need a .357 Supermag?
Brilliant question on a hobbyist gun forum.

What is this thing "need" you speak of?!

I need food, a little sleep, fun time with my kids. That's pretty much what I need. The rest is LIFE, and LIVING. Try it...ya might like it.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:50 AM   #15
kahrguy

Good reply
Old March 13, 2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Venom1956

Quote:
I've been paying attention to EKW for a bit over a year and either the barrels sell as quickly as ammo at Wal-Mart when offered...
...or they haven't listed a barrel for sale on that site in over a year.
I would contact eric, he's been 100% with me would highly recommend. I believe EWK isn't his main job and he does work as time permits. If you call about something that's out of stock he usually can give you an estimate on when it'll be in.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Peter M. Eick

Folks always tell me I need a 44 mag. Its so passe and plain. Heck at my public range there is probably 2 to 3 44 mags every time I go out there. It is almost as common s dirt.

But 357 Maximum?

Never seen another one on the line.

It has a cool concussion when it fires. The dust comes off the rafters, the trajectory is flat so I can go from 25 yrds to 50 to the berm at 70 with little hold over. I find it does not beat me up like the 44 mag will if I try and shoot say 500 rounds of full power loads in one session.

The 44 is great for some folks, but I would rather toss a heavy 357 slug myself. Better ballistics faster in some neat revolvers.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #18
DWFan

A couple details:
The 6" barrel .357 Supermag is rarer than the 8", but the cartridge prefers the longer barrel.
EWK or factory .44 Mag shrouds will not fit the Supermag. The ejector rod slot isn't long enough.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Brilliant question on a hobbyist gun forum.

What is this thing "need" you speak of?!

I need food, a little sleep, fun time with my kids. That's pretty much what I need. The rest is LIFE, and LIVING. Try it...ya might like it.
Just my opinion, it's an impractical waste of money, at least it's not my money.
Of course, I'm thinking of getting a Glock 21 just so I can convert it to a 460 Rowland, and I already bought a Glock 20SF to convert to a 9x25mm Dillon, I'm just waiting for the barrel for the last 6 month's.